The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-12-2006, 09:27 PM

I am thinking of collecting songs from rehearsal at my church for reuse in practice in the future. I currently use an MD recoreder which works well but won't upload. I just hook the mic to my music stand. Nothing fancy. I could go get a feed from the board, but I need it near me to start and stop. Do you think the Zoom would work for that? We have acoustic guitar, base, drums, piano, keyboard and sometimes horns. I don't need high quality.
Formerly ITArchitect
Old 11-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITArchitect View Post
I am thinking of collecting songs from rehearsal at my church for reuse in practice in the future. I currently use an MD recoreder which works well but won't upload. I just hook the mic to my music stand. Nothing fancy. I could go get a feed from the board, but I need it near me to start and stop. Do you think the Zoom would work for that? We have acoustic guitar, base, drums, piano, keyboard and sometimes horns. I don't need high quality.
Hi ITA...
Yes, just put it on a camera tripod and locate it in a place it can ''see'' (hear) everything, and it should work fine.

You'd need to experiment to get the input level set correctly. After that it should be easy.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-24-2006, 02:16 PM

Default Love this thing...but I can't burn a cd from the H4 tracks..

So far, I love this item. But one thing has confounded me:

I can't seem to burn the songs recorded in stereo onto a disc. (I have not tried with a 4-track yet).

So, I upload the files from the H4, and when I go to burn (using Roxio, Classic Creator 4), I get a message that says there was an error on the file.

Do I have to do something, i.e., normalize, master, etc? So I have to set the sampling rate differently?

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-24-2006, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastmeadow Mike View Post
...Do I have to do something, i.e., normalize, master, etc? So I have to set the sampling rate differently?

Thanks for the help.
Hi Mike...
What format are you recording in? Are you just using internal mics?

What format are you attempting to burn them to?

I recorded songs and then dragged the files directly into Roxio's Toast (straight from the computer without putting them onto my hard drive) and burned audio CDr without issues from either mp3 or wav files.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 11-24-2006 at 03:21 PM. Reason: more info pertaining to the original thought of the thread...
Old 11-24-2006, 06:58 PM

Default It shouldn't be difficult...

I am recording in WAV format. As I mentioned, I have only tried this move with a track recorded in stereo, with the onboard condensers.

More interesting...tonight I dumped the file into LAME to convert to mp3. It basically took so long to do just one track I quite.

It is not a hardware thing. My computer is plenty strong and quick.

It is a head scratcher.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:05 PM

Mike, I don't think your problem is H4 related. On my computer I can convert a wav into mp3 at 192kbits in approx. 2 min. using Cubase for a 2:30 long recording. BTW, I used to own a copy of Roxio and I didn't like it. I've never had problem with NERO.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:19 PM

Default Funny you say that, Bern...

I tried to drag into Nero and it would not accept the file.

Hmmm.....
Old 11-26-2006, 08:17 AM

bernie, you need to apply for a sales commission from samson!

you've sold another one. coming from b&h photo as nearly everyone else but j&r music world is backordered.

i think the fact that it mounted on a tripod won me over. i only have about a dozen tripods scattered around the room. i can put one of the idlers to use.

/guy
Old 11-26-2006, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
. coming from b&h photo as nearly everyone else but j&r music world is backordered.
Yep,...glad I ordered mine early. It will be interesting however to see if the January NAMM exhibition has anything that rivals or surpasses it at a similar price point.

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITArchitect View Post
I've had mine for a couple of weeks now. I've made recordings of me & acoustic guitar, me & electric guitar amplified and of several folks at two different open mic venues. I'd say the recording quality has ranged from very good (me & acoustic) to good (amplified) to fair (open mics). Naturally, the reason for lousier recording quality at the open mics is the ambient noise from the audience.

To answer your question, yes, this would work very nicely for your purposes. Each time you stop recording and restart, the device creates a new file; which may suit your needs perfectly.

I bought mine through Music123 when they were offering a special sale requiring you to call in and speak to a sales rep. I saved $10 for a total of $289. I found a great deal on a 2GB SD card at Office Depot and another at Best Buy for Black Friday ($29).
Old 11-26-2006, 10:41 PM

i have a really stupid question for you guys. can you use this as a guitar interface? it says 'xlr' inputs so i'd assume that you could plug the taylor es system in, right?

but could i plug my prs with humbuckers into it? aren't humbuckers somehow different in impedance compared with taylor es or singlecoil or piezo pickups?

i'm not an electric player and i barely have a handle on lo-z/hi-z although i know the underlying theory from my electronics background. i just don't have any 'real-world' practice.

thanks,

/guy

Last edited by gteague; 11-26-2006 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...but could i plug my prs with humbuckers into it? aren't humbuckers somehow different in impedance compared with taylor es or singlecoil or piezo pickups?
Hi Guy...
The inputs are XLR & 1/4'' combination plugs, and the input levels are individually switchable - so yes you can plug in your PRS.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 11-26-2006, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Guy...
The inputs are XLR & 1/4'' combination plugs, and the input levels are individually switchable - so yes you can plug in your PRS.
fantastic! that is a very worthwhile bonus for me.

but, if i haven't exceeded my quota of stupid questions yet, if i plugged in my guitar would the zoom record it? directly, i mean? not merely by passing the signal through to garageband.

thanks mucho!

/guy

Last edited by gteague; 11-26-2006 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:10 PM

Quote:
fantastic! that is a very worthwhile bonus for me.

but, if i haven't exceeded my quota of stupid questions yet, if i plugged in my guitar would the zoom record it? directly, i mean? not merely by passing the signal through to garageband.

thanks mucho!

/guy
Yes, but it's hard to tell what it would sound like.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
...if i plugged in my guitar would the zoom record it? directly, i mean? not merely by passing the signal through to garageband.
Hi Guy...
I'm not sure, but are you asking if it will record into the Zoom at the same time it is acting as an interface for the computer?

If that is your question, I think not. You have to select the unit as a computer interface while the power is ''Off'' so the recorder would not be functional.

If you mean ''Can I plug the PRS guitar into the Zoom H4 and record it like I would my acoustic?'', yes you can. You just cannot do both at the same time.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Last edited by ljguitar; 11-26-2006 at 11:33 PM. Reason: speeeling

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell