The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 04-16-2006, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5
The tabla accompaniment is a weird touch.
Talk about a guitar player hard to mike without distortion...wow. The dynamic range of that performance is all over the map. Must be compressed, no?

Doerr Artist custom Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F10C Cedar/Mahogany
Lowden F35C Sinker/Tasmanian blackwood
Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple
Paragon MJ custom Carpathian/Malaysian blackwood
Brunner custom travel guitar

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.
- John Cage

Old 04-16-2006, 08:07 AM

Now I know this will not be a popular opinion (I've already crawled under table in anticipation), but I will go out a limb and say that I almost always find these tappers boring. Apart from a few true originals (say, Kaki King or TE, and the early stylistic pioneers perhaps), they sound derivative to me and most of them are just not very inspiring percussionists.

I'd much rather hear a great guitar player with a good percussionist than a great guitar player trying to play really basic percussion and therefore not playing guitar as well as he or she can. I have no doubt that many of these players are or could be awesome guitarists, but it's so often obscured by gimmicky taps and raps and thumps that aren't musically interesting. It's harder, and therefore more interesting, to get your rhythmic effects out of the composition and our old friends the guitar strings. On the extreme end, take flamenco, which certainly does sometimes involve rapping the guitar directly but mostly relies on the innate percussive potential of the strings themselves. Does flamenco suffer from a lack of rhythmic interest?

OK, I said it. Slap me upside the head now. Or enlighten me. But please don't make me sit and listen to an entire concert of this stuff.

Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple

I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.
- John Cage

Old 04-16-2006, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpicker
Now I know this will not be a popular opinion (I've already crawled under table in anticipation), but I will go out a limb and say that I almost always find these tappers boring. Apart from a few true originals (say, Kaki King or TE, and the early stylistic pioneers perhaps), they sound derivative to me and most of them are just not very inspiring percussionists.

Hear! Hear! My eyes and ears glaze after watching and hearing these guys (i.e. body-slappin' frenetic fretboard tippy-tappers) after a while. Sheesh!
Old 04-17-2006, 06:24 PM

Well. I just ran this entire thread for the first time, and I learned a very great deal. These musicians offer a huge amount of virtuosity. Many of them do things with a guitar that I never imagined could be done. So thanks whomever started it, and thanks also to all those who added links and also those who just commented. It's a fascinating look at a certain area of contemporary guitaring, and I was glad to see/hear it.

They said, "You have a blue guitar, you do not play things as they are."
The man replied, "Things as they are, are changed upon the blue guitar."
(Wallace Stevens)
Old 04-17-2006, 08:07 PM

Trace is fantastic! My friend actually played with him before!
Old 04-17-2006, 09:47 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpicker
Talk about a guitar player hard to mike without distortion...wow. The dynamic range of that performance is all over the map. Must be compressed, no?
I’ve talked to him a little about this recording... he’s pretty elusive about it... It doesn’t sound like it’s compressed at all, but it certainly seems like you’d need to. I think it’s an amazing live sound, to say the least.
Old 04-22-2006, 12:33 AM

Zenpicker, I agree with you that just some fancy tapping / fast picking doesn't ever equal a well-written song. I've seen some people do some crazy fast stuff on the guitar and rapid tapping stuff, but when you just listen to the song, it doesn't sound very good.

What makes me really excited is when a guitarist goes outside the box and does something innovative, AND makes it sound good in the process. I wish you could have the chance to see Trace Bundy play a concert - one of my favorite performers. At his shows, I think he accomplishes this very well. Also people like Preston Reed, Andy McKee, Phil Keaggy, etc do this well too.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:18 PM
Eric Skye

Kenny Burrell: All Blues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBtCs...blues%20guitar
Old 04-23-2006, 09:01 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks, for posting ! I have seen before and love it again.
Also, check out Larry Carlton's version on 'Last Night' live.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:46 AM

Trace is finally coming out to the east coast area. I'm going to try to make it to his DC show. His live shows are amazing. Anyone else going to go?
Old 09-21-2006, 06:33 PM

Phil Keaggy ... WOW ... what a talent !!!!!!!!!!!!!

hope these work .. I've seen him twice, and the last time <COMPLETELY> blew me away !!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nV3bLZLpqTQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTsHn...elated&search=

MostlyElectric

Acoustic

Martin D18 (1970), Yamaha LS6
Old 09-22-2006, 04:54 AM

I'm with Zenpicker, while I appreciate the originality, it bores me quickly. I'd much rather see a guitarist with a drummer than a guitarist trying to be a drummer.

I doubt the great rockers or jazz players are going to make any changes in their performances. The guitar is not a percussion instrument, the fact that it can be made to slap, tap, thump or whack doesn't mean it should. It could also be used as a tennis racket, doesn't mean that's its purpose.

Maybe it's for the young, I find it contrived and plead gulity to being old, but I've also seen five decades of the worlds great musicians and this style does not cry out greatness to me.............it cries gimmick. Sorry, just my opinion.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-29-2006, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKfanSteph View Post
There's also a live DVD, Philly Live!, that was released last year.
Just reviving this old thread to say that I ordered that Phil Keaggy "Philly" video and watched it last night - and it kept me up for three hours after it ended, into the wee hours, just because I was so awestruck and energized by the performance. It was like a double espresso at 11 o'clock at night - on a WORK NIGHT no less...whoops. I just couldn't settle down enough to sleep afterwards.

First time I've ever watched the guy, and I'm barely familiar with the recordings for that matter. What a talent!!! His vocals I could take or leave, but the guitar playing is beyond belief. There are enough ideas in one minute of his playing to keep an ordinary mortal studying for a year.

Thanks to this forum for turning me on to him. Probably never would have found him without you all!

Paragon MJ Sitka/Maple

- John Cage

Old 08-03-2007, 02:20 PM

Saw Trace in NYC a while back. Mind blowing concert.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell