The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-15-2018, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
If it sounds good, it is appropriate. By definition.
Ditto. Think of it as salt or pepper. In some recipes it works and adds just the right flavor. In other cases, not so much.

I use Cadd9 when playing in G, but I also used Gsus4 a fair amount too. Both make it easier to jump between chords because one finger stays put.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:08 AM

As others has said it is very common to play what is sort of a lazy C in the very common G C D progression.
When first starting out it can be very helpful to use the D note (ring finger 5th string 3rd fret) as an anchor and never lift it as you switch between G Cadd9 D and often EM7.
I would say it is completely fine to use this method on songs like this to help you get the feel of changing chords quickly. Green Day's "time of your life" is a good one for example.
Once you improve a little you'll find you can switch easily between a proper C and D no problem.
I also would advise you to work on forming your G chord fretting the low E string 3rd fret with your 3rd finger. It will be very useful to be able to play the G chord with either shape and moving to the C chord will also becomes easier.
Old 02-15-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach View Post
is it appropriate to sub a cadd9 for a C chord in a lot of cases?
I think one way to look at chords like a Cadd9 that 9th is like "salt in soup". FWIW I think I'd call it a straight C9 chord. The 9th doesn't change the base recipeof the chord which has C E and G, but adds flavor. I tend to use 9ths a lot because it provides more interesting sounds than a standard major chord. I am particularly fond of A9 [x0220)] and D9 [xx0230]. I'll often play a minor 7th chord when a regular minor is written. Again, flavor.

Play what sounds good and interesting. A C9 will have some interesting elements. And I can see that based on the fingering you provided in a follow up reply that you're probably coming off of a G chord [320033 going to a x32033] so it's an easy fingering transition and the notes of the G and C chord are similar when you add the 9th (D) to the C major. That G major chord that typically proceeds the C9, while being strictly a major chord has some flavor of it's own, abandoning the B on the 2nd string in favor of the D so instead of having G B D G B G you have G B D G D G, only implying the major 3rd in the lower ocatave, doubling the 5th. So that C9 will fit well in the tonal spectrum.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-15-2018, 12:13 PM

A ninth chord has a b7th.

C9 is spelled C E G Bb D

Folks, these things are actually named with a system, a logic. You can't just call things what you want.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-15-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
The OP asked about Cadd9, not C9.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
So, what's it called in your book?
Cadd9/G

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-15-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:

C9 is spelled C E G Bb D

Folks, these things are actually named with a system, a logic. You can't just call things what you want.
Yeah, but it is kinda like banging your head against a wall. It just doesn't work, it devolves quickly into "I don't need no dang theory anyway" type of bickering. You would think that the perfect beauty that is the math of music would be something that musicians would want to understand but sadly, lots of times, they don't.

A C9 requires a flatted 7 unless otherwise written. Add9 does just that, adds the ninth of the scale to the triad. But hey, it'll all turn to crap quickly.

rct
Old 02-15-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
If it sounds good, it is appropriate. By definition.
There we go!
Old 02-15-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rct View Post
Yeah, but it is kinda like banging your head against a wall. It just doesn't work, it devolves quickly into "I don't need no dang theory anyway" type of bickering. You would think that the perfect beauty that is the math of music would be something that musicians would want to understand but sadly, lots of times, they don't.

A C9 requires a flatted 7 unless otherwise written. Add9 does just that, adds the ninth of the scale to the triad. But hey, it'll all turn to crap quickly.

rct
So...a pure Cadd9 would be without the added G on the sixth string? Just askin'.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-15-2018, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbla4024 View Post
How, do you play it, X32033? Sounds good when the song is in G, like instead of playing G C G D you can play G Caa9 G Dsus (or Dsus2).
Yup - just this - do it all the time.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:

C9 is spelled C E G Bb D

Thanks for the correction.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 02-15-2018, 12:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
So...a pure Cadd9 would be without the added G on the sixth string? Just askin'.
No, you add the D on the B string and you don't have a Bb present in the chord. If the Bb is also present, the chord becomes a C9. Cadd9 indicates you're adding the 9th note in the C scale while omitting the minor 7th note.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-15-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Most of the time Cadd9 is used in a very major sounding context, I use it in Can't You See by Marshall Tucker. In that instance, no added G up top. The additional open E adds to the strength of the major-ness of the whole song, whereas the G on top starts leaning to a C major/minor, that is, a missing or very weak third, and I don't want any weakness in the third, I want it major. Very. My Betts inspired shredderiffic arpeggiated riffs and molten lead lines need all the major under them they can get.

I'd say for me personally as a guitar player, I don't ever add the top G, I want the E. I can't think of a time I add the G up top.

But then, hypocrite guitar player that I am, my open G is always fretted using my pinky finger bent at the last joint encompassing the D and G on the third fret, B and E strings. Always. I just can't break that 40 year old habit. It can lead to a weak major because I've taken the B off the top and put the D, the fifth up there.

The B in the G chord down low on the A string, and the E in the C chord down low on the D can get lost in the strum, 'specially hitting up on the strings.

Well, that was way too much.

rct
Old 02-15-2018, 01:03 PM

All I know is this X32030 is the chord used in "Bring it on Home" by Little Big Town and they call it a Cadd9.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-15-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
All I know is this X32030 is the chord used in "Bring it on Home" by Little Big Town and they call it a Cadd9.
Yes indeed.

If you can work it out with the bass player, have him pass through a low E, even the fat string open, and you do the same with your Cadd9, let the low E ring. It'll be juicy major for a beat or three, provided you can time it together. Chix dig it.

rct

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write