The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-05-2017, 04:12 PM

Default LD Systems Maui 5 Go

Now that the JBL Eon One Pro has arrived and disappointed with whines, heat and low gains, is anyone looking forward to the very-similar Maui 5 Go?

https://www.maui5go.ld-systems.com/

I like that it can be daisy chained unlimited amount of times when you need the reinforcement, great for silly wedding venues! A pity it seems to have no on-board EQ and only supports two channels.

Did the Maui 5 sound natural/neutral and good for anyone that owned it?

Edit: http://www.voicecouncil.com/review-l...act-pa-system/

This review (and others) of its predecessor isn't too encouraging!

Last edited by necrome; 10-05-2017 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:02 PM
Charter Member

I liked the 5 so much I bought a 28 too. The 5 is great though. I do run into a mixer or a pre but I would with anything anyhow.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 10-05-2017, 05:43 PM

If I recall, the only stick systems that get consistently rave reviews online are the $3,000 Bose systems. And, I suspect it’s because they paid $3,000 for them. :-). In all seriousness, every system has happy satisfied users. We just need to individually test systems within our budgets, with the right features, and let our ears decide.

Last edited by martingitdave; 10-06-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:19 AM

I'm a fan!

I've had my Maui 5 for a couple months and love it!... I use it almost every day playing in my home rehearsal room. In addition, it's working great for my small solo acoustic/singer Wine bar gigs.

It is what it is...Small, Light weight and versatile. I got mine for $500 and I'd take it any day over small acoustic amp or powered speaker. My vocals and guitar just sound killer through it. I like the "stick" array system (as opposed to amp or powered speaker) .. The M5 has a nice bass volume .. to deepen things up. My acoustic amps I have .. sound "tinny and bright" compared to the M5.

I also like the way it looks. It looks great at gigs too. Way better than the Speaker on a pole. Which looks out of place in the places I play.

OP mentioned the article from Voice Council..
I think they summed it up perfect here..

"Ultimately, if you need a small, low-cost, and lightweight system then the MAUI 5 it is a capable system that has a lot going for it, however if you have a little more to spend and you don’t mind a slightly larger system, there are possibly better alternatives"
Old 10-08-2017, 04:19 PM

I gave the Maui 5 a good look before buying the HK Audio Lucas Nano 300. I really like the HK product with its versatility of a possibility of five different ways to use the two satellites depending on dispersion needed. The tone is fantastic for both guitar and vocal and all three channels have a turnable knob eq for each channel. The weight of this and the Maui is a huge benefit for gigging and with the roller cart and the two satellites attached to the sub for travel, the whole thing can roll into a gig with only the guitar in my other hand. Nice!! But I think that the Maui gets rave reviews for a very good reason. Just offering up a very similar product that is also a good way to go.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 10-08-2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
I gave the Maui 5 a good look before buying the HK Audio Lucas Nano 300. I really like the HK product with its versatility of a possibility of five different ways to use the two satellites depending on dispersion needed. The tone is fantastic for both guitar and vocal and all three channels have a turnable knob eq for each channel. The weight of this and the Maui is a huge benefit for gigging and with the roller cart and the two satellites attached to the sub for travel, the whole thing can roll into a gig with only the guitar in my other hand. Nice!! But I think that the Maui gets rave reviews for a very good reason. Just offering up a very similar product that is also a good way to go.

Glad you’re enjoying the Nano 300. I hadn’t seen any reviews from you.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:33 AM

Is the 5 Go available yet? Seems like a great busking amp but they are charging a premium for that battery. At €500 its a tough sell with the wife but doable. €750 means I need a really good excuse for "needing" this. I'm getting the mackie freeplay for now and will wait a year before the 5 Go is discounted or pick up a used one on the cheap. ATM its just too expensive for my current needs but will keep an eye on this unit.

Last edited by Kerbie; 10-09-2017 at 06:35 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 10-09-2017, 07:50 AM

The Go is scheduled for release at 27th of December 2017 if I remember correctly
Old 10-09-2017, 11:40 AM

I got the chance to try a Maui5 this weekend. I loved it!
If the quality stays at least the same with the Go version, I'll definitely buy it.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:25 PM

I'm looking forward to having reliable battery options in these stick PAs.

I was looking at the power of the Maui 5, I read 200W with 800W peak. I'm guessing a lot of the power is the sub. How capable is the Maui 5 in terms of venue, number of people it can cover? I just watched a video and the guy demoing the Maui 5 said something about DJs using it, which seems like a stretch at 200W with an 8" woofer.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:31 PM

Dragonfly, the French sonomag magazine reviewed the Maui 5 and it sounds nowhere near the HK nano 608i you have.

If I remember well the multiband limiters work hard & soon so the dynamic is no great.

That's the Maui 5's horizontal disperson spectrum

There are lot's of "accident" at different frequencies for different angles. A K8.2 one pole would probably do better.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

Last edited by Cuki79; 10-09-2017 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:25 AM

Definitely, Cuki71. But the 608i is twice the price. For the money, you can't find better than the Maui 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
I'm looking forward to having reliable battery options in these stick PAs.

I was looking at the power of the Maui 5, I read 200W with 800W peak. I'm guessing a lot of the power is the sub. How capable is the Maui 5 in terms of venue, number of people it can cover? I just watched a video and the guy demoing the Maui 5 said something about DJs using it, which seems like a stretch at 200W with an 8" woofer.
The venue where I got to try the Maui was in a garden with about 80 guests. The sound delivered was really good (levels and sound quality, both highs and lows). The subwoofer delivers, so I believe it would perfectly serve DJs in small venues.

Last edited by Pecx; 10-10-2017 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecx View Post
For the money, you can't find better than the Maui 5.

I think if you limit the choices to stick systems in the same price point, it’s very competitive. But Cuki’s diagrams show that, objectively, every one of these options has some flaws. Many of us look for flat response, in addition to great dispersion, from our speakers. I’ve tried a number of the options on the market and there is no panacea. Bose comes close with its $3,000 package. 608i is probably the cleanest stick in the sub $2000 range. While not a stick, and definitely flawed with respect to mixer gain staging, my Mackie Reach (bought refurbished for $550) is the flattest response system I currently own. Given a choice, I would take the Mackie Reach over the Maui 5. But, I’d take the Maui 5 over many basic 2-way options for the convenience. Given a higher budget, I’d take the 608i, for sure. Cuki and I have been looking at that unit since it was released. It has lived up to the hype with many owners. Given an “unlimited” budget for a compact system, I’d take the Bose L1M2.

Last edited by martingitdave; 10-10-2017 at 05:59 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 06:31 AM

Definitely, martingitdave. The 608i is one of the best options for this kind of systems. I fell in love with it.
I've been talking to Dragonfly and his 608's review convinced me. For those who can pay that kind of money, go for it!

For those who can only pay 500, the Maui 5 is the best stick system available! If one could find the Reach in that price range, that would be a great option. But it can only be found at around 750.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:25 AM

Problem is there is no real competition in the stick market at $500 (except some chinese non branded products).

At Musicianfriends, LD maui 5 is advertised at $599 and QSC K8 (v1) goes for $549.

I bet the second one wins easily as far as sound quality and horizontal dispersion.

People forget that 4x3" speakers don't make a line array. The original Bose have 24 x2.5" non articulated array to build up the approximate cylindar wave.

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification