The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 12-23-2017, 10:10 PM

Default Fretting out

Hi all,
I purchased a fender elite strat for myself for Christmas. Purchased from AMS as i have had in the past with a lot of good luck and really good instruments. Anyways, i got my strat today which is American and i was so excited to see it i opened it as soon as i got it not taking in the cold and dry temp like an idiot. My house is at 45% at all times. So when i opened it to inspect it as i did i noticed the frets were sharp and such, i am just hoping this is the fact that the instrument was in a dry environment for a while and needs a week or so for the wood to absorb and become moist again. Any advise would be much appreciated. I would hate to have to return it as it was the last one in the color i want. But if i have to sand some fret ends down i am prepared.
PRS CE-24 Semi-Hollow
Old 12-24-2017, 05:03 AM

I don’t mean to sound short or quippy, but it sounds as if it just needs to be played. It might be the result of the PLEK processs and missed the final rubbing.
2017 Les Paul Tribute Model
Bugera V22 Tube Amplifier
1969 Oscar Teller Classical
Martin DRS2
Yamaha FG700S
Old 12-24-2017, 06:19 AM

It could be that the wood is dry, as you noticed, or that the guitar does have sharp fret ends.

How is everything else about it? Plays well? When I read your thread title my initial though was that you were bending strings and fretting out. I take it that isn't happening?
Old 12-24-2017, 07:43 AM

No everything else is fine. I checked the neck and it is a little bowed but not not terrible at all. Should be a short adjustment. I might take it up to my local guitar shop to get another eye on it to make sure the neck isn’t warped or something. Strings bend fine. But for an American strat i expect perfect frets. The nut also feels like it comes out the side a little which leads me to think its just dried out.
PRS CE-24 Semi-Hollow
Old 12-27-2017, 04:12 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

You might return that to AMS instead of taking it to a tech. That kind of guitar should have arrived pretty perfect and if not, Fender or AMS should pay for the fret job in my opinion. I wouldn't start filing on that thing unless you really really know what you're doing.

I've only had one guitar ever successfully re-hydrate and go back the other way on the fret ends. All others that have had this problem have needed an expensive trip to the guitar tech. Some newer guitars have the frets set into pockets which supposedly eliminates the fret ends problem...
http://www.sweetwoodguitars.com/retroseries

JR
Old 12-27-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
You might return that to AMS instead of taking it to a tech. That kind of guitar should have arrived pretty perfect and if not, Fender or AMS should pay for the fret job in my opinion. I wouldn't start filing on that thing unless you really really know what you're doing.

I've only had one guitar ever successfully re-hydrate and go back the other way on the fret ends. All others that have had this problem have needed an expensive trip to the guitar tech. Some newer guitars have the frets set into pockets which supposedly eliminates the fret ends problem...
http://www.sweetwoodguitars.com/retroseries

JR
This. If you are not comfortable filing back frets then send it back and use the warranty. (My guess your problem more an oversight at the factory perhaps than anything humidity related).

Good luck!
Old 12-27-2017, 06:06 PM

Hi,
thanks for The advise. I have a cheap guitar that i operate on to learn. Since this a is a 2g guitar that i got for 600 off I decided to take it to my local guitar shop which is an authorized retailer for fender. They said the wood ias prob a little dried out. The overhang is so small i am probobly over reacting. They are going to do a set up for me and Lower the tremolo as its floating a little high for me, adjust the action and sand down the fret ends for me. My main concern wasn’t the fret ends, that is an easy fix. My concern was the neck being warped as i once had a guitar I thought was amazing and i found out the neck was really warped and in rough shape. The neck looked good to my eyes but i don’t trust them with expensive gear. Anyways. Neck looks perfect and frets will be easy. At ease for now!
PRS CE-24 Semi-Hollow
Old 12-28-2017, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbelsch View Post
Hi,
thanks for The advise. I have a cheap guitar that i operate on to learn. Since this a is a 2g guitar that i got for 600 off I decided to take it to my local guitar shop which is an authorized retailer for fender. They said the wood ias prob a little dried out. The overhang is so small i am probobly over reacting. They are going to do a set up for me and Lower the tremolo as its floating a little high for me, adjust the action and sand down the fret ends for me. My main concern wasn’t the fret ends, that is an easy fix. My concern was the neck being warped as i once had a guitar I thought was amazing and i found out the neck was really warped and in rough shape. The neck looked good to my eyes but i don’t trust them with expensive gear. Anyways. Neck looks perfect and frets will be easy. At ease for now!
I'm yet to discover a warped Fender bolt on neck so I think you are pretty safe.
Old 12-29-2017, 12:11 PM

Sharp fret ends occur when the guitar is manufactured in a more moist environment than where it is stored and the wood shrinks, exposing the fret ends. It's no big deal, but it should be dealt with, especially before the wood rehumidifies. While you're doing your intial inspection, check to see if there are any spots on the guitar where the notes choice out or the frets may not be level. I've had unlevel frets on two new Fenders as well as a new Taylor 814ceDLX.

In both cases it was easy for me because the authorized service center for brands is only a 10 minute drive for me and they do all the communication with Fender (and Taylor). I like using them because if any small thing is wrong they'll go to bat and get the repair authorized and do the work. So, if you have a Fender service center near you, you should take your guitar there to have a warranty repair. If not, contact AMS to see how they want to handle it.

Good luck.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 12-29-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbelsch View Post
the neck and it is a little bowed but not not terrible at all
It's supposed to be like that (neck relief)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars