The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-12-2016, 11:06 AM

Default Order of EQ Adjustment

Hi, I have a question about how to properly set my EQ.

Let's say for example that I have tone controls on my guitar, preamp, and amp. Where do you start?

Usually what I do is set everything flat, then try to get the best sound from the first EQ in the chain (guitar), then the next (preamp), then the third (amp).

Is this a sensible way to approach this?

Thanks.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinto View Post
Hi, I have a question about how to properly set my EQ.

Let's say for example that I have tone controls on my guitar, preamp, and amp. Where do you start?

Usually what I do is set everything flat, then try to get the best sound from the first EQ in the chain (guitar), then the next (preamp), then the third (amp).

Is this a sensible way to approach this?

Thanks.
Inventory them first. For example, the bass eq on your preamp may be a shelving filter set at 100 Hz. The same may exist on your amp (shelving filter set at 100 Hz). Obviously, those are redundant. But say the amp has a shelving filter set at 80 Hz. That's a bit different. Pay particular attention to the midrange controls. Some may be bell, some semi-parametric and some fully parametric. Center frequencies can be important here.

There is no rules about which controls to use first, second, or even at all. Using eq has an effect on gain staging because boosting eq boost the signal level (for certain frequencies, and visa versa.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:30 AM

Starting flat is good. The rest depends.

Where are you making your judgements from? EQ'ing for your performing position may not sound good in the house and vice versa.

Are you EQ'ing for tone or for fewest tech problems? Do you know the "Q" ( filter width) of your various filters? Some will affect frequencies over a very wide range of frequencies. For example, the "1/3 octave" filters of a 31 band graphic equalizer affect frquencies over an entire octave, the "1/3" appelation referring to the center frequency of the individual filters.

Parametric filters will have both frequency and filter width adjustability and are more flexible and precise.

Whatever, it is helpful to be able to take any filters in/out for a quick A/B comparison of the effect of application.

Simple question, complex situation. Usually, less is more.

Edit:

Remember that EQ filters alter the phase relationships of your sounds.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:49 AM

Hi Hinto, that is a really good question and I'm curious to see what other responses you get.

Setting everything flat and then working your way out is a great approach, and I do the same thing. My approach also is to start with the very best sounding or highest-quality element of your chain- that is where you're going to get the most musical and natural sound from your set up, at least in my opinion. So for example, if the weakest sounding element in your chain is the EQ on the guitar's preamp (which in my opinion usually is), I bypass the EQ there and just leave it flat. I find that the usual stock EQ's can color your sound but usually in a negative way, but it really depends on what one you have- some sound better than others.

The outboard preamp, the amplifier, or even the PA or where you're going to get your best, most musical, sound tweaks from. It is complicated though, and I don't think that there is a one-size-fits-all kind of an answer. It really depends on your rig but hopefully others will chime in so that we both can get some general ideas.
Old 11-12-2016, 12:59 PM

I'd suggest that you EQ with the unit with the most robust controls and leave everything else flat.
Old 11-12-2016, 02:29 PM

Ideally, starting from flat, do your coarse adjustments first, then the narrow ones. For EQ, and on a guitar, engage the high-pass filter, which on lesser consoles is usually fixed at 80 or 100hz. This should remove a good portion of the woofiness from your signal. If it still sounds bassy, turn down the low cut filter until it's no longer boomy, but still has some weight. Then use your mid and high frequency cuts to refine the signal. If you don't have a notch filter, but have a parametric midrange, you might want to save it to use as a notch filter. Narrow the "Q" or the width of the pattern, and take a 3-6db cut and sweep the frequency until it cleans things up. With the high frequency filter, you might want a dip in the 6 -8k range to quash some of the "quack" from an under saddle pickup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification