The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-08-2016, 01:05 AM

Default Digitech Polara pedal

Got ahold of a Digitech Polara reverb pedal. Its a lot of fun with the strange and unique sounds of todays reverbs. My fav is the Halo effect which sounds like a choir or massive delays and reverbs on top of one another. Sounds terrible to say but very nice touch for some ambient guitar playing. $150. new.
If you are trying to get a bit away from guitar only and add some effects, this is a nice one. I highly recommend the TC Electronics Flashback for Delay. The two pedals together are enough to keep you busy for quite some time and audiences like the unique tones if not overused.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 11-09-2016, 09:09 AM

I needed a reverb pedal for my acoustic set up, and looked at so many options, I became dizzy. At the time, the Neunaber WET was very popular, and a great pedal, I found. But, I happened upon a used Polara on the used list at Guitar Ctr., and took a chance on it. I am so pleased with the quality of the effects. I'm not into ambient sound, but I do use the Halo effect on certain songs at my temple religious services. The reverb is far superior to the effects on the Loudbox Artist, although, I use so little effect on most gigs, the Loudbox is sufficient, with out any outboard reverb. AND, the bonus of the Polara, is how HUGE it makes my Fender Pro. Jr. sound, with my electric rig.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:41 PM

The Polara is a very nice reverb people! It's exactly the same as the Hardwire (Digitech) RV-7, which is one numerous professional pedalboards. The only difference is the RV-7 had a reverse mode but that was replaced by the Halo mode. My only complaint is the graphics, they went a bit overboard there and it's difficult to make settings changes on a dark stage.

I currently own the RV-7 and think it stacks up quite nicely to more boutique options (Strymon, Eventide etc). The spring in particular is often praised for being very natural and authentic sounding. It's my personal favourite spring tone from all of the spring emulations that I have tried.
Old 11-09-2016, 08:59 PM

Agreed, the pedal is not stage friendly to read.
Old 11-10-2016, 12:53 PM

I also agree. Digitech did not field test this pedal. Its nearly impossible to read in broad daylight. And it does have a Reverse mode which is outstanding. But the Halo mode is the one I use the most in intros to songs, ambient sounds and to set a mood in a gig. My audiences are telling me they love it.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 11-10-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
I also agree. Digitech did not field test this pedal. Its nearly impossible to read in broad daylight. And it does have a Reverse mode which is outstanding. But the Halo mode is the one I use the most in intros to songs, ambient sounds and to set a mood in a gig. My audiences are telling me they love it.
Sorry about that, I think it was the "Gated" mode that was removed and replaced by the Halo. That's one reason why I haven't purchased the Polara though, I hate the look.
Old 11-10-2016, 09:02 PM

The look of a pedal never stopped me, I will say. Maybe an obscene name would hold me back. I do switch my Polara from Plate to Halo, and wish it was easier to see. The Neunaber is better looking, and has great sounds. I did not hear enough of a difference to spend more on another pedal. If I needed a better spring reverb (which I'm not that into, I'd look at the Topanga.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for your thoughts on the Polara. I've got a Strymon Big Sky that I love but I keep having to switch it between my acoustic and electric pedalboards. The Strymon is great but I can't justify owning a thousand bucks worth of reverb, so I've been exploring other options for the acoustic board and the Polara is at the top of the list right now. It might have to go on my Christmas list
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification