The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-27-2017, 04:11 PM

Default Guitar strap vs case...

Some recent threads have encouraged the use of a guitar strap, sitting or standing. For those folks who use a strap all the time - what's the best way to handle the strap when returning a guitar to its case? Remove and re-install the strap next time you play, or do you leave the strap on while the guitar is in its case?

I hope this question isn't too silly - ). I'm just not sure of ways to handle it.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

If you have a strap button on the heel, the spot where the strap is more likely to get loose and fall off is the back connection. So open up the strap hole by taking it on and off - leave it connected there always. Since the heel position is clever and pulls itself ONTO the pin (not off) you don't have that worry at the front connection.

You can store it in the case like this and it will help cushion your guitar.

Of course everything depends upon your gear/case/etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131022_204401_zps705a192c (Medium).jpg (37.7 KB, 183 views)

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 12-28-2017, 03:21 PM

I remove the strap from the neck and lay it flat on the strings,partially wrapping the headstock.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 12-28-2017, 05:16 PM

I just tuck it under the guitar with the bulk moved into the space under the heel.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 02-11-2018, 11:02 PM

Remove it from the guitar, roll it up like a roll of tape, and put it in the area under the headstock.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:52 AM

I remove/replace it. Neither of my cases has enough "slop" in the fit to feel good about leaving it on.

My Taylor case fits so tightly you can barely squeeze a sheet of paper between the lower bout and the case.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:55 AM

I remove my straps, roll them up, and place them in the accessories compartment under the neck.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 02-12-2018, 10:04 AM
Charter Member

I have gotten in the habit of removing it completely (even if inconvenient) and putting it in the headstock area. I have done that mostly because of different strap materials and worry that leaving it touching the guitar body might affect the finish of various guitars.

However, I now use suede straps almost exclusively (for comfort and because there are no buckles to ding the guitar). I never thought of Fazool's idea and will try that out. Thanks Fazool!
Old 02-12-2018, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

All my straps are relatively thick natural leather, but I NEVER leave them or anything else touchng my guitars in the case.

I "fold them up" put a thick rubber band around them and fold them of the top of that case above the head stock.
No issues for the first 50 years!
Old 02-12-2018, 10:46 AM

On electrics I often use strap-locks that make it easy and non-wearing to the strap hole to take the straps on and off.

I don't use a strap as much with acoustic these days, but when I did, I didn't have a heel location pin (strap tied at headstock, old-school). I usually left it attached if the case was loose enough to allow it fit around the upper bouts and the laid the rest parallel the neck.

Never had one hurt a guitar, but that doesn't make it a good idea. On the other hand, for those that are sure that nothing should be left touching the guitar, were do you get the mag-lev cases that let your guitar float suspended on air in the case?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-12-2018, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Good, practical question. If I'm using a guitar that has a cutaway, problem solved, I just roll up the strap and stick it in there. My HD-35 is more problematic. I fold the strap in thirds and lay it next to the neck, not on the strings. I don't want to put any stress on the instrument that is not part of the plan of the Martin Engineers, who I am sure were up late many nights with their slide rules figuring this stuff out.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:04 AM

I leave it on. It fits in the case well enough, although it does need to be arranged flat on the guitar. (The cases for my guitars have enough spare space to take the surplus folds.)
Old 02-13-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovgren View Post
Remove it from the guitar, roll it up like a roll of tape, and put it in the area under the headstock.
^^^ This

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-13-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovgren View Post
I do something like this.

FWIW, the chemicals in the strap may react with the finish of your guitar. If that matters, don't store your guitar with the strap pressed against the finish.

George

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write