The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-14-2016, 02:49 PM

Default External Microphone for Live Use

I'm starting up a new Celtic band with myself playing guitar, tenor banjo and mandolin. I'm not sure that we'll be going totally acoustic, but that may be an option. I'm looking for a good small diaphragm condenser mic for my instruments, some have pickups while others don't. My budget is around $300.

The Audix ADX 51 is one I've looked at. I used Shure SM 81's and Neumann KM 84's back in my live sound days, but I don't know a lot about current offerings.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:02 PM

After doing monitors for a touring Irish 9-piece power folk/ceilidh band a number of years ago, I bought a half dozen of the Shure KSM137's they were using on all their instruments. I can recommend them as a good choice for your application.
I would use them ahead of the 81's and 184's for sure.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:00 AM

I'll second the motion on the KSM137. I was playing mandolin in a venue and wearing IEMs. I stepped up to the mic with the mandolin and thought "This is exactly the sound and feel I want." Asked the tech what the mic was and went home and ordered one that night.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
After doing monitors for a touring Irish 9-piece power folk/ceilidh band a number of years ago, I bought a half dozen of the Shure KSM137's they were using on all their instruments. I can recommend them as a good choice for your application.
As an engineer and assistant department head for sound at a major DC venue, I don't know any rider that would prefer 137's over 184's, but it is a choice. But in that price point, it's a good mic.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
That's the kind of music I'll be doing, so your suggestion is right on the money. I was looking at the new EV ND66, but for $100 more I think the Shure is the winner. Hopefully I can try some of these mics before I buy.
Old 11-17-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
As an engineer and assistant department head for sound at a major DC venue, I don't know any rider that would prefer 137's over 184's, but it is a choice. But in that price point, it's a good mic.
David...

I find 184's "brassy" on strings and voices. Sorry, I can't define "brassy" any better than to say the first and second overtones are hyped and hard.

Hurts my ears. Fortunately, I get to choose unless someone is carrying their own mics. I get a lot of DPA's brought in, though.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification