The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-11-2016, 01:26 PM

Default Misi Pickups

Any experience with Misi Pickups? I would love to hear your opinions!
Old 11-11-2016, 01:36 PM

I hear good things, but have no direct experience. When I recently ordered my new Blackbird Lucky 13 (MiSi is their default pickup) I specifically omitted the electronics. I already have several guitars with pickups and don't even perform any more.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:51 PM

They develop their own nifty preamp that uses capacitors instead of batteries. They use the LR Baggs UST at the actual pickup. So, if you like the LR Baggs UST, and you don't like batteries, you'll probably love the MiSi. They have several options including dual source and have volume and tone control options.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:58 PM

I have had very good experiences with mine. I have turned a couple of my playing buddies on to them as well. You can charge them up in one minute using a charger or a guitar chord and a nine volt battery.
#2 Pencil
Various Scraps of Paper
Old 11-11-2016, 08:59 PM

I put a Mi-Si Trio in my Rainsong H-DR1100N2 a month ago (my second Mi-Si Trio installation). This combination has replaced my previous main gigging guitar, a Taylor T5z. I am not obsessed with a perfect my guitar louder system. I think it is a very good sounding UST pickup. Most of my other guitars have had K&K or JJB pickups and I find a good sounding UST to be more gig worthy and reliable than a SBT (just my opinion and experience). I don't find myself trying to equalize an acceptable tone out of the Mi-Si which I would find myself, on occasion, having to do with with a SBT.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 11-11-2016, 09:18 PM

I have their "magnetic" PU (don't know exactly the technology at work here, but it's a soundhole pick-up physically similar to magnetic ones, with sound to match), and their preamp, mounted on my carbon Brunner. Gives me the acoustic/jazz sound I want.
I don't know about their UST. I never found a satisfying UST anyway, so I didn't care to try this particular one.
But the soundhole PU is good, if you like soundhole PU's.
And the capacitor preamp is nice. Charged in 30 seconds, keep the charge a few hours. Highly convenient.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 11-12-2016, 09:25 AM

MiSi is a great idea and kudos to them. The preamp itself is fine. The big question is in regards to the pickup itself. I find the Baggs Element to suffer from the "quack" that seemingly all piezo UST's suffer from. That said, a Fishman Aura Spectrum cures the quack.
Also, the Element is VERY sensitive to installation. The saddle slot and saddle bottom MUST be absolutely flat or you WILL have string to string imbalance, which will drive one to drink....chasing balance.

All that said, I have 2 guitars with Baggs iMix (Element and IBeam) installed and I am quite happy with them.

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 11-12-2016, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Default MiSi

I have the MiSi installed in 4 guitars and 2 ukuleles. All with tone controls in the sound hole.
I find them a real PLUS:
Easy and FAST to charge - one minute!
No worries about batteries dying.
Tonally, the Baggs hardware more than does the job.
As well, I find NO down-side.
FYI
Old 11-12-2016, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

I have the MiSi on my El Capitan but haven't even tried it yet....lol...now y'all have me curious.

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2016, 10:00 PM

The MiSi "Air Trio" is the Newest model they have out. An internal mic mounted on the preamp board on the end pin, and a Baggs UST. With two seperate volume controls, one for each, mounted under the edge of the sound hole. Had one put in my OM-28 at Elderly about a month or so ago. Love the idea of no 9 volt battery and just the minute or two plugged in the wall to charge up the capacitors. Unfortunately didn't get to play around with it much before sending the guitar to martin for some repair estimates. Another story all together, one that will be shared in the future when I can. Here's a link to the "Air Trio" on elderly's site. http://www.elderly.com/mi-si-air-trio-pickup-system.htm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification