The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-13-2016, 06:22 PM

Default Multiple EQ's, Gains, Volumes and more...guidelines needed

So I am relatively new to the plugged in experience but man there is a lot to think about in the change-over. My main axe '14 814 has the new ES2 and I believe it is working properly. Next on the path is Acoutimax BBE (preamp)and lastly, into a new (to me) Genz Benz Shenandoah 100. Both the BBE and GB have EQ with sweepable mids. GB has onboard Alexiss effects which are really good and more than capable IMO. It also has an rear effects loop. I just want to know where to start the levels at and what is simplest path to good tone. With all these gains, volumes, and effect level controls, there has got to be a "general" way to start. Even the Taylor has adjustments?
I'm assuming it should go Taylor->BBE->Amp????
Most of my gigs are local friends parties with a great PA board or just amp guitar venues.
Also, to all the Genz Benz users, what is the need for Send level adjustment to digital effects and another effects return level adjustment?
My head hurts

Nick
Old 11-13-2016, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescon View Post
So I am relatively new to the plugged in experience but man there is a lot to think about in the change-over. My main axe '14 814 has the new ES2 and I believe it is working properly. Next on the path is Acoutimax BBE (preamp)and lastly, into a new (to me) Genz Benz Shenandoah 100. Both the BBE and GB have EQ with sweepable mids. GB has onboard Alexiss effects which are really good and more than capable IMO. It also has an rear effects loop. I just want to know where to start the levels at and what is simplest path to good tone. With all these gains, volumes, and effect level controls, there has got to be a "general" way to start. Even the Taylor has adjustments?
I'm assuming it should go Taylor->BBE->Amp????
Most of my gigs are local friends parties with a great PA board or just amp guitar venues.
Also, to all the Genz Benz users, what is the need for Send level adjustment to digital effects and another effects return level adjustment?
My head hurts

Nick
I suggest you start by removing the BBE from your signal chain. It is quite redundant.

As to your questions, several folks will post with their ideas. My thoughts are (i) inventory your eq and other controls and (ii) experiment, both scientifically and ad hoc.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:13 PM

My inclination is to use whichever of the EQs contour the sound better, but not both. Either set the GB flat and use the Acoustimass BBE's EQ, or use the GB.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
My inclination is to use whichever of the EQs contour the sound better, but not both. Either set the GB flat and use the Acoustimass BBE's EQ, or use the GB.
The OP has a third set of eq and a third preamp with the ES. The BBE is redundant and it's likely best to simply remove it from the signal chain.
Old 11-13-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
The OP has a third set of eq and a third preamp with the ES. The BBE is redundant and it's likely best to simply remove it from the signal chain.
Yup, that's the way to go.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Missed that. Nonetheless, I'd apply the same approach. Whichever gives you the better result is the answer, but I don't think using both is the right approach, unless the GB has filters that affect the signal in different and useful places than the ES. Then perhaps you can use some on the guitar while making a cut on the GB in that specific place.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:23 AM

Let you ears guide you. With your amp, there is no need for the BBE. Set your guitar flat and dial in your tone with the amp. Make on the fly adjustments on the guitar as needed. If you are going into a PA with no amp, I suggest using the BBE. Now, the BBE has that Sonic Maximizer. If you find that effect to your liking then go ahead and keep that in your signal chain and keep your amp set flat.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification