The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-07-2016, 05:55 PM

Default What kind of amplification is The Edge using in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXwQwWnm6tg

OK guys, a newbie question: I can see he's wired and has jack input on the side, but can someone pinpoint it? I like the "sharp" sound of it.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post

OK guys, a newbie question: I can see he's wired and has jack input on the side, but can someone pinpoint it? I like the "sharp" sound of it.
The "sharp" sound to which you refer results from a cheap camera mic recording music in a concrete and ceramic tile cave and heard over Youtube as a low bit-rate, low fidelity mp3 file. You should be able to replicate it with a cheap guitar, economy pickup and a lousy amp...

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post

Looks like he's got two of these in the shopping cart:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...1x12-combo-amp

But I'd say they6're not using them, or anything at all because when they break into desire, the Edge's guitar starts playing without him.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:59 PM

But there's a cable plugged into Edge's guitar, and what's that white tape on the guitar body? A mic?
Old 11-07-2016, 08:08 PM

I saw a documentary about U2 and in it, they show Mr. Edges guitar effects rig. There are nuclear submarines with less electronics.He would play one note and the rig took over for the next 2-3 minutes.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:16 PM

Thumbs up

That sounds like an acoustic direct into those Fender electric amps. In a subway. Recorded on a crap phone. And a buzzed, stumbling Fallon. With some delay added. Complete crap sound, but it's getting the job done.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I saw a documentary about U2 and in it, they show Mr. Edges guitar effects rig. There are nuclear submarines with less electronics.He would play one note and the rig took over for the next 2-3 minutes.
You made me laugh.......but you are also correct.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlight View Post
That sounds like an acoustic direct into those Fender electric amps. In a subway. Recorded on a crap phone. And a buzzed, stumbling Fallon. With some delay added. Complete crap sound, but it's getting the job done.
Hey Steve, great job on that Fleet Foxes cover! A lot of music gets posted on this forum, much of which is, um, well, let's just say entertaining on a different level. So thanks for posting something musical. Good arrangement and a quality recording.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simondylan View Post
Hey Steve, great job on that Fleet Foxes cover! A lot of music gets posted on this forum, much of which is, um, well, let's just say entertaining on a different level. So thanks for posting something musical. Good arrangement and a quality recording.
I appreciate the compliment-thanks! It's part of an on-going covers collection I've been working on for fun. Check out the others HERE.

Last edited by Fairlight; 11-08-2016 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:46 PM

I think the subway hall needs better acoustic treatment. Getting a lot of echo. Suggest about 1000' of acoustic panels on the walls, plus about 1000 people, plus the subway train itself, and then re-record.
Old 11-12-2016, 04:32 AM

I've always liked U2 on acoustics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification