The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-05-2015, 12:56 PM

I tabbed out "Salomila" years ago and it was published by Acoustic Guitar Magazine in the Feb 2008 issue, but I can't find a copy of it anywhere. It's on my list of things to do, but that list is pretty long and most of those things never get done (grin).

There's a tab out there for Ledward's version in his Kalapana Bflat tuning: http://www.guitarcats.com/guitar-tab...apana/salomila . This is a lovely version but very different from the taropatch open G version that I usually play. You can hear Ledward playing this version here:

He's in C in this video but the tuning is relatively the same, each string is just one whole step higher (and tighter and more likely to break!) I'm trying desperately to keep up while playing the tune in drop C for the first time ever (grin). Oh, and this is actually a medley with the old Hawaiian tune "Lili`u E" mixed in at times.

Patrick Landeza teaches the open G version of "Salomila" in this video: http://www.thegtw.com/artists/patric...ndeza_main.htm . Patrick taught me the song back when I was first learning slack key but I haven't seen the video so I can't comment on it.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 07-05-2015, 08:42 PM

I saw that vid while I was surfing around! Good sound, smiles, setting all good.

Thanks for the info. This is next on the list.

Might be time to spring for the P.L. video.

So do you have a couple guitars always tuned to your fav. "slack key". I know nothing....

I've learned a couple alt. tuning songs but play them less cause I have to tune up/down. Just rather pic up the guitbox and play.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:11 PM
Dan - Charter Member

There's a set of about 60 slack key lessons by Mark Nelson on jamplay.com. I have only watched one or two, but they seemed nicely done.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:52 PM

"Salomila" was written up in Acoustic Guitar magazine several years ago, as done by our own Fran Guidry. I used to have a link to the lesson and the audio, but AG magazine revamped their website last year and all the old archive content disappeared.

For basic instruction there is no substitute for Ozzie Kotani's book and / or his two DVD's. Sometimes the DVD's are temporarily out of print, so when you get the chance, grab them. www.ozziekotani.com As I get somewhat more advanced and build repertoire, I still run into things in that basic book that keep popping up.

On-line, Mark Kailana Nelson has a series of lessons on JamPlay.com that cover the basics and build from there. I first was exposed to slack-key by Mark about a dozen years ago, and have studied with him at Aloha Music Camp and PSGW. (Mark is no longer is involved with AMC, however). He often teaches at Lark Camp in California.

www.taropatch.net has a whole forum thread covering instructional materials, books, videos, camps, etc.

Aloha and "e komo mai" (welcome) to the world of ki ho'alu (slack key).

Last edited by Earl49; 07-05-2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:06 PM

Fran, email just sent to you with a GIF of your tab from the magazine article. Aloha!
Old 07-06-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duque View Post

So do you have a couple guitars always tuned to your fav. "slack key". I know nothing....

I've learned a couple alt. tuning songs but play them less cause I have to tune up/down. Just rather pic up the guitbox and play.
Ummmm, wellll, I don't have any guitars in that weird tuning some people call "standard." And, ummmm, welllll, yes I do have a few guitars in different tunings (grin).

I'm an old fogey with no kids, a relatively cheap mortgage, and a ten year old car, so I have upstairs guitars, downstairs guitars, under the bed guitars, and stay in Hawai`i guitars.

Fran
Old 07-06-2015, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Fran, email just sent to you with a GIF of your tab from the magazine article. Aloha!
Mahalo, Earl, that's very kind.

Fran
Old 07-06-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duque View Post

Might be time to spring for the P.L. video.
I have the Patrick Landeza DVD and can recommend it. Patrick takes a very basic approach, and advanced finger style players will move through it very quickly. The arrangements are fairly simple, yet still sound good enough to include in your set if you are playing out. Mostly pattern picking but those more on the beginner end of finger picking should make good progress without becoming frustrated. Most (if not all as I recall) are in Taropatch tuning.

Keola Beamer's DVD I would say is intermediate and uses less Taropatch. It covers tunes in F Wahine, Bb Wahine, Taropatch, and (not sure what to call it) C-G-D-G-B-E. I enjoyed that DVD as well, and can play all the notes, but it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as when KB plays them...

Lastly, have just bought Ozzie Kotani's DVD #1 and am now digging in. You can't go wrong with any of these.

As Fran has said, Led's DVD is a bit different and he has a gift for improvising, e.g. Never plays it the same way twice. For me, while the tunes aren't terribly difficult to play, this is more of an advanced disk. And I say that only because it is more about variations which you can't master until you get the basics of the tuning down. Stated differently, a lot of the tunes I'm playing at this point are from memorization of positions. I'm not always sure of what chord I'm in at any point in time, if that makes any sense.

Hope that helps,
GC
Old 07-07-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcunplugged View Post
It covers tunes in F Wahine, Bb Wahine, Taropatch, and (not sure what to call it) C-G-D-G-B-E. ...
C G D G B E is a variant C Wahine based on a G6. There's another thread around here somewhere that refers to this as "the most beautiful tuning ever" or something like that.

Uncle Ray Kane did a video with Walter Carvalho and he showed his "Hi`ilawe" in that tuning.

Fran
Old 07-07-2015, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupuna50 View Post
If you are TRULY interested in learning Hawaiian slack key (kiho alu), attend the "Aloha Music Camp". It is in February on the island of Kauai.
Teachers are Jeff Peterson, Keola Beamer and John Keawe.
You can also take ukulele from Herb Ohta Jr., singing from Uluwehi Guerro, slide with Alan Akaka, etc.
A week long class.
I'd be happy to offer additional info.
Im definitely interested in finding out more about the Aloha Music Camp (I sent you a PM).

If anyone else has been and can share some thoughts I welcome those too.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 07-07-2015, 06:02 PM

Steve, we've been to Aloha Music Camp three times (2006, 2007, 2009). It rates up there with best vacations I've ever had, so I cannot recommend it highly enough. We'd still be going back, but airline travel is getting hard for me these days. It is not a cheap camp, but well worth it. Great food, wonderful spirit of aloha, fun jams, and small classes with some true masters of the style.

C-G-D-G-B-E is sometimes referred to as "Keola's C". It is basically standard on the high four strings, with some sweet lowered bass notes available. (This is also the tuning used for Richard Thompson's "Vincent Black Lightning" BTW).
Old 07-07-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Steve, we've been to Aloha Music Camp three times (2006, 2007, 2009). It rates up there with best vacations I've ever had, so I cannot recommend it highly enough. We'd still be going back, but airline travel is getting hard for me these days. It is not a cheap camp, but well worth it. Great food, wonderful spirit of aloha, fun jams, and small classes with some true masters of the style.

C-G-D-G-B-E is sometimes referred to as "Keola's C". It is basically standard on the high four strings, with some sweet lowered bass notes available. (This is also the tuning used for Richard Thompson's "Vincent Black Lightning" BTW).
Aloha Earl49, Thanks for the camp information and endorsement.

'More guitars than I need but not as many as I want.'
Old 07-08-2015, 11:33 AM

George Kahumoku hosts a slack key and `ukulele (and hula and crafts and culture) workshop camp on Maui: http://kahumoku.com/learn-slackkey/

George's son Keoki has hosted a similar multi-faceted event on Hawai`i Island in the past,
I found this "more info coming" post about a 2015 event: http://www.keokikahumoku.com/kahumok...style-workshop

Fran

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write