The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-27-2015, 07:35 PM

Default Yet another pick thread

Actually this is mostly to thank others for their pick threads, I learned a lot around here from them.

FYI I been playing on Jim Dunlop Tortex .60 (orange) for a few years, after reading here for a bit I decided to revisit picks again. I bought a combo pack of Tortex picks, from .50 up through 1.14, and wow what a difference. A pick seems to have more effect on a guitar's sound than a string change, I had no idea, and different picks allow you to make different sounds at different volume levels, kinda opened up a new world to me.

I found I liked the .73 and the 1.14 the most, the 1.14 for flatpicking, and the .73 for strumming, and the .73 can do a little flat-picking if you are careful, the .60 was too hard to control the sound for flatpicking to me so I ditched that pick entirely.

I saved the combo packs so I can revisit this from time to time as I get better. But for today I went to GC and bought a bunch of .73's and 1.14's.

Much cheaper than buying a new guitar, or even a few sets of strings, nice to have fun on the cheap for a change. :-)

Thanks again folks.
Zoom G3 pedal
Amps: THR-10 (small), DBR-10 (med), QSC-K10 (large)
Old 06-27-2015, 08:42 PM

Drink the Kool-Aid!!

BlueChip

WEGEN
Old 06-28-2015, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingoccc View Post
Drink the Kool-Aid!!

BlueChip

WEGEN
True, but not for all. Some will take some time to appreciate these makes.

I've also started using a 1.5 m/m Dunlop Primetone triangle for my 12 string.

It has little tone of it's own and no flex, but wakes up the trebles of my 12 string well.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurth83 View Post
Actually this is mostly to thank others for their pick threads, I learned a lot around here from them.

FYI I been playing on Jim Dunlop Tortex .60 (orange) for a few years, after reading here for a bit I decided to revisit picks again. I bought a combo pack of Tortex picks, from .50 up through 1.14, and wow what a difference. A pick seems to have more effect on a guitar's sound than a string change, I had no idea, and different picks allow you to make different sounds at different volume levels, kinda opened up a new world to me.

I found I liked the .73 and the 1.14 the most, the 1.14 for flatpicking, and the .73 for strumming, and the .73 can do a little flat-picking if you are careful, the .60 was too hard to control the sound for flatpicking to me so I ditched that pick entirely.

I saved the combo packs so I can revisit this from time to time as I get better. But for today I went to GC and bought a bunch of .73's and 1.14's.

Much cheaper than buying a new guitar, or even a few sets of strings, nice to have fun on the cheap for a change. :-)

Thanks again folks.
Kurt, I was commissioned some time ago to write an article on picks for the British Bluegrass News and so I had to do quite a lot of research.

The material, profile and thickness all contribute to the sound one gets and not all picks are suitable for all guitars or styles.

Most of us start up with thin flappy picks, and as our playing becomes more intricate we go for thicker picks with properly carved bevels (to speed the flow of the pick across the string).

The density of the material used and its resistance to wear also makes a lot of difference.

For the past few years I have gone from the "teardrop" shape (351) to the large triangle (346) ....did you know that each shape has its own designated design number ?

Initially the only alternative to tortoiseshell (actually hawksbill turtle shell - now protected) was a British creation called celluloid which could be (and was made to look like tortoiseshell, ivory and many other natural "effects". It was also used as a base for the light sensitive emulsion for photography.

However it is not very wear resistant.

Today we have various types of synthetic polymers. The better offerings seem to be “POM” to be precise “Polyoxymethylene.” – (you knew that didn’t you?)
“POM” was developed for long lasting, low wear, low friction, heat resistant bearings but seems to prove very adaptable as plectra due to the abrasion resistance, and a low co-efficient of friction properties.

Knowing this you can investigate the cheap and readily available shapes, thicknesses and edge profiles. Then , maybe, progress to the expensive but most rewarding offerings.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:55 AM

I've been happy with the Dunlop .88mm Nylon picks for a very long time. They are stiff enough for vigorous flatpicking, easy enough to control (and smooth) for strumming, last forever, and are dead cheap.
Also...Readily avaialble. And you don't weep if you loose one.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:47 PM

Jim Dunlop Jazz w/ grip

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write