The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-21-2015, 03:40 PM

Default Problem my hand

wrist fingers of my left pretty weak, it is not because it is still early to learn guitar i've quite long playing guitar, but it is a problem of my left hand. I want to make strong enough to fretting. some players using plaster/tape or a ring I do not like both,tape it is wasteful should throw every time when finish playing, ring it feels weird sometimes create more pain. I need something soft might like rubber ring or other ..
Old 06-21-2015, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

No exercise is more direct help than just playing the guitar. Make sure action is low enough. Perhaps try a short scale guitar or slightly lower tuning (down a half step to a step).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-21-2015, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

your posture can also affect your fretting hand. try the classical position with guitar on left knee and elevated by a foot stool or guitar support; you should not have to press hard on the strings if your guitar action is properly set up.

Teacher/mentor - Richard Gilewitz

Schenk Grand Fingerstyle (Gilewitz Signature) 12 String
Beneteau OMC -13
Simon Fay OM
Schenk Grand Fingerstyle (Gilewitz Signature) 6 String
Old 06-23-2015, 06:30 AM
Charter Member

If you have played a long time and still have pain, you're right to stop and try something different.

Posture is one contributor. Experiment with the guitar on one knee versus the other; use a strap and adjust it to different positions;

Grip is another place to look: easy mistake is to grip too hard so all the energy is going into the gripping muscles; rest thumb lightly on back of neck, more or less at the midpoint, and allow your fingertips to do the walking on the front of the neck. It takes much less pressure than many of us realize to make a clean note.

Loosening up the grip is HARD STUFF - I know, it's one of my biggest challenges.

Lighter strings are friendlier to play than mediums.

Lower action makes the light grip idea easier.

good luck!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write