The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-18-2017, 07:17 PM

Default NBD or Return Decision?

Hi, folks. I'll try to make this as brief as possible and garner some experienced opinions. Here's the deal. I bought a brand new Seagull S6 Mahogany from a well-known online dealer. It's a $500 guitar. I want to learn finger-style and I love that it has a wider nut (1.8") and mahogany top for a darker tone. Upon receipt, the neck relief and string action were spot on. Neck angle is great. Cosmetically, it is beautiful. However, there is a slight gap at the top of the heel on one side of the guitar between the heel and the body. It is just wide enough to slip a piece of paper into. I sent a photo of this to the store and they offered to replace the guitar over-night. But the inspection tech called me and said that the replacement also had a gap there and that they don't have a replacement for the replacement.

So I can return the guitar for a full refund or credit. Or I can buy a less expensive Seagull S6 with a 1.72" nut (I don't know if the narrower nut will affect playing finger-style or not). Or the store has offered me $100 off the purchase price of the guitar. The guitar would still have a 2-year store warranty and a lifetime warranty from Seagull.

I realize that this is a subjective question, but what would you do? Is such a gap normal or somewhat typical? Or should I insist on a perfect guitar? Should I buy a less expensive model? What do you think?

Last edited by trekker; 08-18-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:37 PM

Sorry, but I can't seem to get a picture to post. I guess this forum uses external photo storage and my Photobucket doesn't work for third party access.

Last edited by trekker; 08-18-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:20 PM

It's $500 guitar and the store is giving you $100 back? And you like the sound of it?

Take the $100.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:53 AM

Perfection does not exist. It sounds pretty close to perfection for a $500 guitar.

There is a guy locally who sells Seagull Blems and it sounds like your guitar does not even qualify as a Blemished Model.

It feels great in your hands? Plays well? Bring her close. Like the way she smells through the sound hole? Then she's a keeper.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:52 AM

Unless the neck angle is affected (it sounds like it isn't), I would consider the gap a cosmetic issue. You can smear some wood glue in the joint, if you like. Clean up with warm water. That is often done at the factory.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:20 AM

No, the neck angle is fine. A straight edge from the 1st fret to the last fret goes right to the top of the bridge, neither higher nor lower. The neck relief is fine (.010" at 7th fret) and the string height (more a function of the saddle) is right on. So given that it is spot-on in some many other ways, I think I'll just keep it. The flaw sure isn't noticeable from a distance. You have to get really close. And you have to try to slide a piece of paper under it. I just wanted to make sure (as much as possible) that it is not structurally defective, something that is going to get worse down the road. I doubt it will. But I have a 2-year warranty from the store and a lifetime warranty from Seagull.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

I'm not an expert by any means, so consider this as just an idea.

If you completely loosen the strings, does the gap go away? That to me could indicate a loose joint which could worsen over time.

What do others think?
Old 08-19-2017, 09:45 AM

FWIW, the S6 has a bolt-on neck and an epoxied neck joint.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:55 AM

Default NBD or Return Decision?

Take the $100 and run. The guitar's neck is bolted on. It's not uncommon for the wood to shrink a little. It happens in $4,000 Taylors too. Taylor fills that same little gap with putty. And, you'll have the warranty in the future should there be an issue. Don't give up a great feeling and sounding guitar of cosmetic imperfections. Believe me, his comes from experience.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:01 PM

Yeah, I'm getting conflicting information on how the necks are currently attached on the new Seagulls. Nevertheless, I have a 2-year warranty through the seller and a lifetime warranty through the manufacturer. All is good. I hope.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair