The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-15-2017, 02:12 PM
Eric Skye

Default Anyone Tried The New Tech 21 Q/Strip?

Looks like a potentially very cool acoustic guitar preamp. Curious if anyone here has checked it out?
http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effects/qstrip.html
http://www.tech21nyc.com/support/man.../Qstrip_OM.pdf
Old 08-15-2017, 09:59 PM
Charter Member

Hey Eric,

I have one that I got about a week ago. Have only spent about an hour with it but I'm quite impressed. For me, the mid frequencies cause me the most grief and with the 2 adjustable bands of mid control I'm able to dial in a really good sound. Kind of a hifi version of my Red Eye.

I've used it with great results with my K&K and Dazzo equipped guitars.
I also have a Rainsong with the Fishman system in it and have not been as impressed with the Q Strip with that guitar.

Jay
Old 08-19-2017, 01:48 PM
Eric Skye

Thanks for reply Jay. It definitely looks good on paper, with more EQ power than similar devices.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:27 PM

Looks like an interesting piece of gear.

Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 08-22-2017, 07:53 PM

Default Anyone Tried The New Tech 21 Q/Strip?

I just go one of these a few weeks ago. I really love it. What I need on my guitar is a little cut at 200Hz, a bass boost right below that to bring out the thumb bass, and a high pass to get rid of stuff lower than the lowest string fundamental. The EQ behaves exactly like an really good 70s or 80s analog mixer. The sound is clean but adds a little subtle saturation as you boost. This does absolute wonders for jazzy fingerstyle bass lines. There is no Q control, but their engineers confirmed that the Q starts out broad, then gently sharpens as you increase the cut or boost. Very musical.

Current draw is very low, and as the battery drains the LED dims. The sound quality remains very good even with an almost drained battery. Phantom power is also available. If you go to use it and the LED is dim, don't worry. Just change it out before the next gig.

This works really well with the Wide Z preamps on my Mackie Reach. There is one switch for 10db of added gain on the 1/4" out or 20db of cut on the XLR. This is in addition to the wide gain range on the output volume knob. This gives me perfect input levels on either the line or XLR inputs on the Reach. It also give me just the right amount of gain on my Line6 Sonic Port VX that I like to use for recording on my iPad.

I absolutely adore the sound of this thing!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification