The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

View Poll Results: bets multi effect pedal?
Zoom G1Xon Guitar Multi-Effects Pedal 1 25.00%
DigiTech Element XP Multi-Effects Pedal 0 0%
Zoom G1on Guitar Multi-Effects Pedal 2 50.00%
DigiTech RP55 Guitar Multi-Effects Pedal 1 25.00%
Vox StompLab IG Modeling Guitar Effect 0 0%
Vox StompLab IIG Modeling Guitar Effect 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-04-2017, 07:24 AM

Smile Recommendations on a multi effect pedal??

POST UPDATE: I went with the zoom G1Xon. Very happy with it. I'm going to post a short review at the bottom of this thread. I appreciate everyone's time and input.

I have been a fan of the KISS method for a long time, but I would like to go into the world of effects a bit more. It will be used mostly at home at first with my electrics.

Please give me recommendations on a multi-effects pedal. I realize that most of these pedals will have 100 or more effects. I'm okay with a learning curve. The things I definitely want:

1) attached Wah/volume pedal (I can live without if there's a good auto wah but would like one)
2) reliable and perhaps (eventually) gig worthy
3) Low in cost - around $100. Lower is better (for me).

Please don't leave posts that multi-effect pedals are junk or for the price I want to spend they are all garbage, just get a pedal board, etc. If this request is naive then just let me live in ignorant bliss, okay?

Given the above parameters, what do you guys like/prefer and why? Please give me suggestions based on first-hand experience.

I have a small poll and realize they all don't have the wah pedal. If you have suggestions that are not listed, please share them with me.

Thanks for the help.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

Last edited by roylor4; 08-14-2017 at 07:04 AM. Reason: update
Old 08-04-2017, 10:09 AM

i have the digitech rp55 that i really like and it has a ton of great sounds. but i have recently changed to individual pedals. if you wish to consider it, send me a PM.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 08-04-2017, 01:48 PM

The Vox stomplab pedals are cheap and sound ok but are the work of the devil to edit any presets due to the simple LED display. I gave mine away to a friend who just uses the presets and I bought a Zoom G3.

A Zoom G3 is quite nice and easy to use with 3 foot pedals and could probably be found for $100 second hand.

The smaller Zoom pedals are less flexible but still sound good and are easier than the Korg pedals to edit.

I own or have owned these pedals.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 08-04-2017, 02:01 PM

I have a Boss GT-6 that's been inside the box for years. It has just about every effect and amp model you can think of and a pedal. I might sell it since all it's been doing is taking up space.
Old 08-04-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
The Vox stomplab pedals are cheap and sound ok but are the work of the devil to edit any presets due to the simple LED display. I gave mine away to a friend who just uses the presets and I bought a Zoom G3.

A Zoom G3 is quite nice and easy to use with 3 foot pedals and could probably be found for $100 second hand.

The smaller Zoom pedals are less flexible but still sound good and are easier than the Korg pedals to edit.

I own or have owned these pedals.
Thanks, good to know.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 08-04-2017, 03:57 PM

Hi Roy,

I just reread your original post and you say you really want an expression/wah pedal. The Zoom G3X has that pedal already included but the G3 is cheaper and you can add an expression pedal to control wah or other parameters.

A number of non-zoom pedals will work, you can google that if you are interested. I've seen G3s on US Ebay for as little as $80.
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 08-04-2017, 05:07 PM

I'm going to try and read up on all the models you posted in the OP, but one thing I definitely agree with is any posters saying to buy used, especially if budget is a concern. I always look to buy used unless the product I want is not yet available on the second hand market. Much better to end up with a $200-300 item that better fits your needs than a brand new $100 item that constantly reminds you that once again, you've compromised on what really mattered; being happy with your choice.

I'll look back in after the gig tonight because I really want to find out if any of the pedals you put in the poll are interesting for me as well.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 08-05-2017, 07:54 AM

Hi Paulp and Nama,

I understand the benefits of buying used but I am also a bit leery of buying second-hand electronics.

My gigging amp (believe it or not, the Laney Cub 10) is a pretty darn good sounding amp. Same volume as a Pro Jr, but just a tad darker in tone. I never thought the lack of reverb would bother me, but after I bought my little Fender Passport Mini, I realized how much I really like having some verb and tremelo available.

I have thought of selling my Laney and Champ 600 and just buying a Katana 50, but you can only store and switch between 2 patches at a time - so in my mind, not as flexible as just adding a pedal in front.

The 3GN looks pretty interesting, only perhaps overkill for someone like me. I'm not sure I want to add a $150 pedal to a $250 amp, if you know what I mean.

Another factor is that I have nearly 60 bucks in points with MF and since i just bought a new car it's more important for me to get my feet wet and start learning about multi effect than to go whole hog right now.

The amp modeling stuff is okay, but really just interested in the effects mostly.

For these reasons, I'm leaning towards the G1Xon. Any experience with this l'il guy?

Thanks and I appreciate ya'll's input.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 08-05-2017, 09:10 AM

I have a Zoom G3 and just bought a Zoom G3X (has expression pedal) for $125. Hook the two together and couldnt be happier. Easy to use, great effect and amp sounds. I would say check the Zooms out.
91 Taylor K15C Koa
Old 08-05-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craviola View Post
I have a Zoom G3 and just bought a Zoom G3X (has expression pedal) for $125. Hook the two together and couldnt be happier. Easy to use, great effect and amp sounds. I would say check the Zooms out.
Thanks, Just watched a coupla vids on the Zoom G1Xon and liked what i saw.

I appreciate your input.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 08-05-2017, 12:55 PM

Hi Roy,

Right now I have the Zoom G3, G1on and B1on multi-fx pedals.

I wouldn't be surprised if the cheaper pedal has the same sound engine as the G3. It has the same effects capability (upto 6 fx simultaneously) and the same effects lists to choose from.

The G3 in contrast has nine knobs to immediately change effects parameters compared to one on the G1on and the G3 is built like a tank in comparison.

The G1on would require a lot more button presses and fiddling than the G3 to setup your own presets from scratch. The G1on would still be easier than the Korg stomplab.

I find with the G3 I can get by without the manual whereas I still have to consult the instructions on the G1on.

You do get loads for the money with the G1on though. I think either pedal would sound great plugged into your Laney cub 10.
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 08-05-2017, 01:14 PM

Why isn't Line 6 in your list? I really like their newer offerings.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlight View Post
Why isn't Line 6 in your list? I really like their newer offerings.
Budget reasons mostly and their lower end offering has some horrid reviews.

The M5 is nearly twice the cost of Zoom G1Xon and has less bells and whistles. The next step up (M9) cost the same as my amp, ain't going there.

Thanks for the suggestion though - any and all input appreciated.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Old 08-14-2017, 06:59 AM

Hello Roy, I'd like to offer an alternative for your list. I've never been a big FX user but in my current band they are needed so I found this Line 6 M9 Stompbox modeller. As its title says it reproduces footpedals only, not amp sims. It has over 100 FX of various types, all of good quality soundwise. It will take a Volume and Wah pedal externally, but there is an Auto-Wah in there somewhere.
It's tough, not too big and a power supply supplied. I bought mine new for just under £300 here in England, but if you are in the USA I imagine it would be much cheaper, possibly within your spending limit. The only limitation is that it will only reproduce 3 FX at a time, but they can all be of the same type eg overdrive or chorus.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Scott View Post
Hello Roy, I've never been a big FX user but in my current band they are needed so I found this Line 6 M9 Stompbox modeller. As its title says it reproduces footpedals only, not amp sims. It has over 100 FX of various types, all of good quality soundwise. It will take a Volume and Wah pedal externally, but there is an Auto-Wah in there somewhere.
It's tough, not too big and a power supply supplied. I bought mine new for just under £300 here in England, but if you are in the USA I imagine it would be much cheaper, possibly within your spending limit. The only limitation is that it will only reproduce 3 FX at a time, but they can all be of the same type eg overdrive or chorus.
Hi Mr Scott, Thanks for the input. I ended up buying the ZoomG1Xon and thus far, I'm extremely pleased with it. Mini review to follow. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
effects pedals, multi effect pedal, wah-wah