The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2017, 06:15 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
In my experience carbon fiber guitars tend to reflect the strings used even more than wooden guitars.

Rainsong ships with 80/20 Elixirs, which in my opinion are very trebbely and metallic sounding. Swap out some decent phosphor bronze strings and they sound considerably better. (Better as always in the ear of the listener)

They are on the bright end of the spectrum, certainly compared to a Martin or Larrivee, but not nearly as bright as a Taylor.
Yes I absolutely agree with this - I use Elixir PB nanowebs on mine which work really well.

Cheers,
David

Perfecting the interface between you and your guitar.
wolframslides.com
Endorsed by Martin Simpson and Tony McManus.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:39 AM

There's a company in Ireland who can make almost anything you can dream of
AGF Sponsor: Emerald Guitars http://emeraldguitars.com
Any scale length, neck shape, nut width. Need 21 strings? No problem.
This guy makes miracles happen!

Old 08-21-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song View Post
There's a company in Ireland who can make almost anything you can dream of
AGF Sponsor: Emerald Guitars http://emeraldguitars.com
Any scale length, neck shape, nut width. Need 21 strings? No problem.
This guy makes miracles happen!

You won't find a greater bunch of folks to do business with either.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 08-21-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

You are correct about the esthetics, but FYI, they are not plastic, and they are nothing like your Ovation. Feel free to give me a call if you would like to be educated on these amazing instruments.
Great post!

I don't mind being disagreed with and when it's done like this, it deserves a compliment!

I could certainly use more education but it's just not the sound I'd go for with an acoustic guitar.

Unless I owned/worked at/got a cut price at/etc., a guitar store........
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 08-21-2017, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

A good discussion ! I don't like the way all the different wood or all the different CF guitars sound. But there are those few in both groups that are really special to me. I've owned a lot of wood guitars and a few different CF guitars. I would hate to have to pick (or decide which sounds better) between my SCGC D-12 or my Emerald X20. I love them both. With all the improvements made to CF guitars lately, it is a BIG mistake to judge then if you have not played them. Same as it would be with any wood guitar. I passed on a Cargo last year when money was tight, and have been kicking myself every since for not making it work. I got Ted's number though.....
Old 08-21-2017, 08:24 AM

I am of the belief that there is a whole raft of confirmation bias out there regarding CF acoustics. People with a few thousand dollars worth of lovely figured wood expect the CF acoustics to sound "different" or "sterile" or "soulless" and this has a significant effect on the perception. I'd be really interested to see a blind test to find out if the differences are really that apparent...
Old 08-21-2017, 11:09 AM

I love my Rainsong and I had to order it from GC. There aren't any music stores here in Columbia (SC) that carry CF guitars. Most people I know have never even played a CF guitar (including my music teacher).
Old 08-21-2017, 11:19 AM

I've owned both the Baby Taylor and the CA Cargo. Sold the Baby and still have the Cargo---it's in another league.
Old 08-21-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalani View Post
I've owned both the Baby Taylor and the CA Cargo. Sold the Baby and still have the Cargo---it's in another league.
Ditto that, but in our case it was a GS Mini (tried both spruce and mahogany tops). Once the Cargo came home, the Mini's went on CL. Trouble is, I am not really allowed to play it. My wife loves it -- no question it is her guitar -- and I have this tendency not to leave it in taro patch tuning for her.....
Old 08-21-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
It's fun to switch back back and forth. I love to play my RainSong and then go play my Martin. It's like ice cream.

One of the most surprising benefits n of CF (besides the obvious) is how well they sound in an all wood ensemble. They cut through the mix very nicely and are remarkably stable in the elements, even if you use alternate tunings.

These CF and composite guitars are not going anywhere. Get used to the idea because CITES is cracking down and the best tone woods are becoming scarce. I won't buy another wood guitar ever again.
Yep they do.
Saw a folk group trio a couple of weeks ago and the carbon fiber guitar guy could always be heard above the din.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-21-2017, 05:50 PM

CA Guitars used to be made in Lafayette, LA. Had a nephew that worked at their plant probably 10-12 years ago. They shut down their plant at one time. Don't know where the build them now, but I can tell you, if you do a lot of outdoor gigs down here in Louisiana in our 90% humidity, a carbon fiber guitar makes a lot of sense. Temperature and humidity don't cause tuning issues like a wood guitar. These guitars aren't made for sitting in someone's music room, these are made for the gigging musician. When you're plugged in to a PA and possibly have other instruments playing, the differences in sound between a wooden and a carbon fiber really aren't nearly as evident.

And no, I don't own one because I don't regularly gig outside anymore, but if I did I would sure consider one. I have played a couple owned by a fellow musician that I played some shows with, and they play and feel very good. Alas, my wood guitars do fine for my "gigs" now, which are mostly climate controlled church services.

Gibson J-45, LR Baggs Anthem SL
Martin D-28, JJB Prestige 330
Seagull S-6
Gibson L-50

Last edited by Deadduck; 08-21-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:02 PM

I've just pulled the pickup (UST) guts out of my Cargo, and the top now has a rich resonance, clearly a different guitar.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Another huge bonus with ownership of, (or even a slight interest in), cf guitars is your ticket to the cf section of this forum.

It's a beautiful oasis of peace, love, tranquility and genteel conduct away from the constant hurly burly and frayed tempers of this general section!

You just ruined the best kept secret on the AGF!!!
Old 08-21-2017, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonbird View Post
Mostly on youtube, like these comparison type videos (both ugly and bright):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ6iyWSEzIs

And this thing is butt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufbWvFtRItI

All that said, there is good reason to own one (i.e. a bad climate, gigging, etc). Tone and looks aren't one.

I've always thought the Rainsongs hold their own pretty nicely and this video doesn't change my mind. I've been tempted to buy one and haven't yet, but it might not be far off.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Great post!

I don't mind being disagreed with and when it's done like this, it deserves a compliment!

I could certainly use more education but it's just not the sound I'd go for with an acoustic guitar.

Unless I owned/worked at/got a cut price at/etc., a guitar store........
Thanks, Goodallboy. The voice of a CF guitar wasn't my first choice when I bought my first one almost twenty years ago, I bought one because I needed something that could handle the dry climate at our vacation home in the local mountains. But after a while I discovered that there is a learning curve to playing these guitars, and today I could be quite happy with just a CF acoustic. Luckily I don't have to limit myself so my Martins, Taylors, Lowdens, Gibsons, Larivees and other wood guitars in my stable are safe.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion