The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 08-12-2017, 09:40 AM

Default how to remove an - EPOXIED bridge - arrrrrgh!

my repair guy has my Banner J45 and he thinks the bridge was EPOXIED on at one point. ditto with the saddle. I want to remove the belly down bridge and have him install a period correct plain one. He tells me this is a nightmare to remove. Has anyone ever dealt with this situation? How did it turn out?

Old 08-12-2017, 10:20 AM
Guest 1928

The bridge is not original and neither is the top finish, so saving the bridge is not important. If you're going with a rectangular bridge, then finish touchup will be required. Based on the wear under the finish, it looks like the guitar looks like it's been set up for left handed play at some point. That may explain the refinish and later bridge.

He can set up a jig and route most of the bridge off, then take the remaining slivers off with a small hand plane or chisel.

Unrelated to any of that, it appears to be a four-piece top. Interesting stuff with these old guitars.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

I agree with Todd.

The epoxy is not EASILY removable. Attempting to remove it will likely damage the soundboard.

You will have to machine the bridge away.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 08-12-2017 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:35 AM

It looks to me as if the guitar is currently set up for a lefty, but it is strung for a righty. Look at the saddle. Am I crazy?
Old 08-12-2017, 10:39 AM
Guest 1928

Not crazy at all Mike. I commented on the same thing above. In addition to the saddle, there is considerable wear where a lefty would have hit the top.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:43 AM

Default bridge

Since the bridge is going to have to go anyhow, just chisel and sand down the old one instead of trying to remove it.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:56 AM

Did your repairman tell you that he didn't know how to proceed? Did he ask you to do research for him? This is not an unusual thing to find, so if he did I would suggest finding another repair person.

It can be removed with heat and appropriate tools, or routed off.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Klepper View Post
Did your repairman tell you that he didn't know how to proceed? Did he ask you to do research for him? This is not an unusual thing to find, so if he did I would suggest finding another repair person.

It can be removed with heat and appropriate tools, or routed off.
he said heat would not do it and that he needed to set up a jig and rout it. I was just curious if any of you had had it done and how it turned out?
Old 08-12-2017, 11:20 AM

Routing would require careful matching of the router guide radius to the top radius and then ensuring the router bit is sharp (new). Once thinned down enough a small heating iron, like the type used when covering the framework of radio controlled aircraft, and some cotton cloth can be used to remove the residual layer of epoxy. Cloth over top the epoxy and the iron applied to the cloth should transfer the epoxy to the cloth for peeling off the guitar. A clean section of cloth is used for each heated section of epoxy. This heating iron and cloth method can also be used with good results for removing pick guards.

https://www.hobbyzone.com/building-s...CABEgLxoPD_BwE
Old 08-12-2017, 11:30 AM

I'm just amazed at what some of you guys know about fixing stuff to do with guitars. This forum is worth its weight in gold.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:44 AM

Epoxy yields to heat, the same as glue. I would try a very thin spatula, heated with a hot air gun, and simply take your time and work it under the bridge. Then you get to deal with the residue. If the issue isn't the bridge coming off, and it looks like it's on there well, but changing it to right hand, I would fill the slot and re-rout it. I'd also leave all the time-worn mojo on, let the thing speak of it's life.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:53 PM

Default least alteration

My own personal opinion here, I like the suggestion of (I think) leaving the bridge in place and filling in the saddle slot and routing one in the correct direction for a right-hand setup. That does the least invasion of the guitar and gets it playable. If that doesn't work out with any satisfaction, then bridge removal can be done, and the guitar won't 'see' any effect from trying the saddle slot fill-and-recut first. If it's done, seeing as the bridge is not original to the guitar, it would be a good time to install a wider saddle, like 1/8 inch, and make sure the saddle is at the correct location for the scale length. Whoever sets up the new saddle might appreciate some extra material to work with.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

Agree - fill, re-rout, play -
Old 08-14-2017, 04:32 PM

I have routed bridges off in the past, but nowadays I prefer to use a block plane or finger plane. I cut it down to about 0.020" thick, then peel it off. Heating is optional.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:08 AM

thanks for the replies! A wealth of knowledge here!

On a related note: Would you expect a significant improvement in tone if the epoxied bridge is removed and replaced with a period-correct rectangle bridge with long saddle? If I have this done then I'm looking at finish repairs too as others have said. My luthier does not do finish work. Any suggestions?

here is a crappy pic from a video I took showing the bridge plate:

thanks!

Dan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair