The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-26-2016, 03:35 PM

Default Attempt to record Greenfield G-1

Im an amateur who loves guitars. I've been mostly just learning songs last couple years. I have some old rode mics sitting around I thought I'd dust off this weekend.

I tried my hand at recording acoustic guitars a few years ago on nice (but not REALLY NICE) acoustics, but was frustrated by the sound I was getting. The only change in gear this weekend was my guitar, and I was amazed at the improvement in recorded tone simply by upgrading the guitar.

I posted this in Record section, but the response there was pure crickets. So.... I thought some folks here in Custom Shop might be interested in what a Greenfield G-1 sounds like in the hands of an intermediate level player with really modest recording gear (untreated room, 2x rode nt1, blue tube preamp into ableton). Ive added some reverb, but no EQ or compression (because I don't really even know what to do with those

I welcome any feedback on the reverb, mic placement, playing suggestions, etc... Thanks gents!
Old 11-26-2016, 03:43 PM

Well, first of all you are NOT giving yourself enough credit for your playing...that was very nice. The Greenfield sounds amazingly good, but it is still up to the player to bring that out. I think that was great.

What were the two songs you recorded there?
Old 11-26-2016, 04:08 PM

They're two old classic hymns ( I have decided to follow Jesus, and I surrender all , at least my attempt at the melody) and then a folk song called the south wind in standard tuning Capo'edup 2 frets.

Thank you for your encouragement on the playing TomBsox.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk
Old 11-26-2016, 04:42 PM

Really nice work. The guitar sounds great. To me the reverb is a bit wet and I'd back if off a tad. I think it distracts a little from the articulation at least in these pieces. Nice job. If I had one guitar that got away...one the I lament the most it is a Greenfield G1.2!

I think in the Show and Tell area unless you are a regular and offer up a lot of feedback and support of others sometimes it's tough to get folks to comment. I tend to be very critical, so I find myself not going there often. When I do comment I find the goodness in each piece I comment on. I would not give up on that venue. You may find you get as much as you give.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Well, I don't know anything about recording, i just use my iPhone, lol... But, I do know when something sounds good! And that track is legit and so is your playing, great work partner... 👍🏼
Old 11-26-2016, 09:58 PM

Both the playong and recording sound great to me!

This is actually one of the nicest recorded examples of tone i hv heard from a greenfield so far as the bass sounds deep and thunderous on this recording while the trebles ring out.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
Really nice work. The guitar sounds great. To me the reverb is a bit wet and I'd back if off a tad. I think it distracts a little from the articulation at least in these pieces. Nice job. If I had one guitar that got away...one the I lament the most it is a Greenfield G1.2!

I think in the Show and Tell area unless you are a regular and offer up a lot of feedback and support of others sometimes it's tough to get folks to comment. I tend to be very critical, so I find myself not going there often. When I do comment I find the goodness in each piece I comment on. I would not give up on that venue. You may find you get as much as you give.
I will pull back the reverb, thanks for listening. I am greatly enjoying the greenfield, its a very versatile guitar, I love the sweetness of the upper register, and find that the immediacy of the bass is a nice complement to my other guitar that has a softer attack overall and bit less fundamental (which is a kraut mod -d)

I'll try out the show and tell. I am going to keep recording because it is forcing me to work out kinks in my tunes instead of just living with them the way they are (which is typically riddled with transition error!).
Old 11-27-2016, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Well, I don't know anything about recording, i just use my iPhone, lol... But, I do know when something sounds good! And that track is legit and so is your playing, great work partner... 👍🏼
Thanks Diamondave, i've enjoyed those I-phone recordings immensely, and can gather that you are just an overall nice dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Both the playong and recording sound great to me!

This is actually one of the nicest recorded examples of tone i hv heard from a greenfield so far as the bass sounds deep and thunderous on this recording while the trebles ring out.
Thanks so much gitarro, the guitar is tuned down a half step, but I find it loves to be "there"
Old 11-27-2016, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for putting this up! The note separation is impressive, even when you're plucking multiple strings. I also enjoyed the song choices.

Last edited by dcn; 11-29-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-27-2016, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Your recordings are mono. See my comment in play section.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 11-27-2016, 10:51 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Very nice tone.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-28-2016, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Im an amateur who loves guitars. I've been mostly just learning songs last couple years. I have some old rode mics sitting around I thought I'd dust off this weekend.

I tried my hand at recording acoustic guitars a few years ago on nice (but not REALLY NICE) acoustics, but was frustrated by the sound I was getting. The only change in gear this weekend was my guitar, and I was amazed at the improvement in recorded tone simply by upgrading the guitar.

I posted this in Record section, but the response there was pure crickets. So.... I thought some folks here in Custom Shop might be interested in what a Greenfield G-1 sounds like in the hands of an intermediate level player with really modest recording gear (untreated room, 2x rode nt1, blue tube preamp into ableton). Ive added some reverb, but no EQ or compression (because I don't really even know what to do with those

I welcome any feedback on the reverb, mic placement, playing suggestions, etc... Thanks gents!
Something's wrong with the link. I get an error.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
Something's wrong with the link. I get an error.

try this

Old 11-28-2016, 11:38 AM

The recording is quite nice IMHO. I think the guitar sounds great.

I also think reverb is a matter of personal preference -- but I certainly don't hear "too much" reverb here, even by more "purist" standards than my own.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop