The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-26-2016, 06:42 PM
Humanist

Thanks to *all* for the kind words, both public and private.

Yes, we are both fully insured (Heritage), but the claim is most properly made by me, as both the shipper and owner of record. I will assume the *best* in advance of calling them on Monday morning.

Joel is pretty devastated. He has asked that I include a short note from him, and I will post several text messages Joel sent, all in one quote-box:

Quote:
By the way I have had a lot of customers contact me with their sadness.

If you wanted to post something on the forum 'from me' that might be nice.

Simply put you could say, that much like the guitar... I am shattered.

It was a "darned" (mild expletive replaced by LP) good guitar.
I feel VERY badly for Joel, more so than for myself. Yes, it was a "darned" good guitar...and more.

I am rather glad that folks have reached out to Joel directly. I suspect that this means a heckuva lot to him right now. I know he is a young guy...I have never asked his age, since that is irrelevant to me...but I do hope that he can take this in stride, and over as much time as he finds necessary.

I do know that Joel pours his heart & soul into his guitars, and to have one come back in pieces, well, I wouldn't have wanted to be the one opening that case.

In the grand scheme of life's events, well, I am dealing with this, and have had my share of some other things, as well. Ya' can't live to be 61 and come this far unscathed. None of us can, from what I've seen.

I don't want to sound like this is no-problem for me...it's a BIG deal after a lot of heartache trying to move through my auto-immune illness (for years) and finding a functional ergonomically friendly small guitar *with* massively great sound...and a part of this has literally been a moving target...my health and reaction to guitars that once-fit, but not-so-much anymore.

For me the bottom line is that I never have to look very far to see someone with far more difficult life-circumstances...even within my immediate family. Boy howdy.

Whine, whine, complain, complain, wah-wah-wah....

So here we are.

I know that Joel wants to try to make this up to me, but it's not like it was his fault...and I know that he has a wait-list. A closed wait-list, in fact. I will hope that good-judgement is the better part of valor in this case, and the last thing in the world I would want is for Joel to over-stress himself.

Thanks again, boys & girls (if I may say that)...

Peace out.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 11-26-2016, 06:58 PM

Peace.....(but still, {expletive}). We move on...I'm rooting for you.

Last edited by Jobe; 11-26-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

Sad news. Good luck going forward.
Old 11-26-2016, 08:38 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
Well, this will be my last post on this thread.

I needed Joel to make some slight modifications to the guitar (my issues, not Joel's), so a few days ago I packed 'er up and sent the guitar back towards Calgary...and in-route it was essentially destroyed.

The details are pretty much irrelevant. A great little guitar has ceased to exist.

As Vonnegut said, "So it goes."

Thanks to all who checked-in here, and to those that played the 00-R at the SBAIC.

Back to the drawing board.
Man that is depressing. My heart goes out to you and Joel.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:48 PM

Larry,

It's a real heartbreaker that your guitar was destroyed - it's conception intrigued me a lot as to its ability to deliver good sound and volume at a very short scale and size. Your philosophical attitude towards it is certainly a great way of seeing things and thankfully it was fully insured.

For the sake of future reference for the rest of us in sending our guitars by courier, could you tell us whether it was shipped in a flight case and how was it destroyed?
Old 11-26-2016, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Man that is depressing. My heart goes out to you and Joel.
Same here. Very sorry to hear.
Old 11-27-2016, 07:28 AM

So sorry for both of you, Larry. Hang in there. Tim
Old 11-27-2016, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

This is sad, shocking news. That you are already able to put things into perspective is impressive, Larry, and I hope you and Joel come back from the drawing board with renewed enthusiasm.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop