The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-15-2016, 05:06 PM

I came back to this posting on a whim and got engrossed by all the talk of remedies. I'm really big on diet being the cause of a lot of physical problems...not necessarily the cause of the problems (although that can be true too) but as a way to alleviate them. I've found that what Tim McKnight says about allowing 30-45 days to feel the effects of any natural or diet related therapy to be absolutely true. If you are accustomed to the Western medicine take-a-pill-and-feel-the-effects-in-half-an-hour syndrome you have to lose that thinking and think long term when it comes to natural methods. Amongst other things I've found turmeric to be a miracle plant when it comes to an anti-inflammatory. Beginning in my thirties I telemark skied eighty to a hundred days a year for about 23 years and my knees and hips remind me of all the fun I had every day. I'm a no white sugar, low gluten, vegetarian diet guy that walks five miles every day and stretches a lot and it all helps immensely. Now I'm going to try Tim's flax seed regimen too. I don't think tequila has white sugar in it though unless it's cheap rot got stuff so a little Patron now and then.....
Old 11-15-2016, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Smile Flax seed

Flax seed is good stuff! And so is sesame seed. You can buy them whole and grind in a coffee grinder to preserve the volatile oils.

Store them in your fridge, too.

Nice tip Tim!

Tequila in MODERATION... dang!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-15-2016, 06:58 PM

I have a VitaMix with a grain blender. I do Flax. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Flax seed is good stuff! And so is sesame seed. You can buy them whole and grind in a coffee grinder to preserve the volatile oils.

Store them in your fridge, too.

Nice tip Tim!

Tequila in MODERATION... dang!

Cheers

Paul
Old 11-15-2016, 07:04 PM

Back to the guitar design, bevels and such, My first few guitars that I built I used spruce for the kerfed linings. While I have been using hardwoods for linings recently the guitars with spruce linings are none the worse for wear. A single action truss rod would make sense, a titanium one perhaps?
Old 11-15-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Back to the guitar design, bevels and such, My first few guitars that I built I used spruce for the kerfed linings. While I have been using hardwoods for linings recently the guitars with spruce linings are none the worse for wear. A single action truss rod would make sense, a titanium one perhaps?

+ on the titanium truss rod.

I'm slowing honing in on the build...
Old 11-16-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Jay,

May I suggest that you might need to lubricate your joints

I had really bad arthritic pain in my joints several years ago and someone mentioned this same silly notion to me. I'll offer you a challenge ... pick up a 3# bag of ground flax seed at your local grocer. Thoroughly mix 1 heaping tablespoon in 4 oz of water and chug it each morning followed by a 4 oz chaser of water. Drink this cocktail each morning for 30 days and report back your results.

Yeah, it sounds silly but it WORKS! I have being doing it for years and my joints no longer ache. I went off flaxseed for a few weeks and my pain returned. It didn't take me long to go back on it.

PS, You will NOT feel any results until 30-45 days into it so don't get discouraged.
So Tim, I guess you like your linseed oil raw, no additives? Without knowing all of the benefits, I've been eating flaxseed almost daily in my gluten free pancake mix that I grind in my Ninja blender. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Jay,

May I suggest that you might need to lubricate your joints

I had really bad arthritic pain in my joints several years ago and someone mentioned this same silly notion to me. I'll offer you a challenge ... pick up a 3# bag of ground flax seed at your local grocer. Thoroughly mix 1 heaping tablespoon in 4 oz of water and chug it each morning followed by a 4 oz chaser of water. Drink this cocktail each morning for 30 days and report back your results.

Yeah, it sounds silly but it WORKS! I have being doing it for years and my joints no longer ache. I went off flaxseed for a few weeks and my pain returned. It didn't take me long to go back on it.

PS, You will NOT feel any results until 30-45 days into it so don't get discouraged.
I'm writing down this little pearl of wisdom too.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:31 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

My orthopod friend gave my father in law a knee injection, the trade name of which I cannot remember, but the scientific name is "viscosupplementation." I staved off his knee replacement for like six years. He had the injection about oonce every four to five months.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:56 PM

A topic for neurology next month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
My orthopod friend gave my father in law a knee injection, the trade name of which I cannot remember, but the scientific name is "viscosupplementation." I staved off his knee replacement for like six years. He had the injection about oonce every four to five months.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBWW View Post
A topic for neurology next month!
Neurology? A topic that has been battling it out with guitar building for the top spot as far as time goes when not doing my day job. If there are any Allodynia experts on the forum...
Old 11-16-2016, 09:59 PM

Viscoelastic therapy is more rheumatology than neurology, just sayin....
Old 11-16-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Viscoelastic therapy is more rheumatology than neurology, just sayin....
The next day, rheumatology. Neurology is to address pain management. This is the VA you take the first appointments you can get. LOL

Neck pain has yet to be officially linked...more film with the Neurology...they are working together.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:46 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Good luck! Here's hoping it works out for you.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:40 AM

I'll only chime in regarding pickups.

K&K PWM is lightest but it is feedback prone.

Soundhole pups:

Shertler A6 is BY FAR the lightest and it sound "natural" but it behaves much like a ribbon mic. You can overdrive it with a heavy attack. It will have the LEAST damping affect on your top though and will sound pretty close to "acoustic"

Baggs M80. Yep. Twice the weight of the A6 but still "sell it" acoustically and no feedback issues and you won't overdrive it. (unless you use an overdrive pedal). I like this as my favorite compromise.

Sunrise. This is the legend everyone talks about - But A) Its heavier (2x the Baggs) and B) I think it sounds a bit more "electric."

I own and use ALL of the above for various and particular reasons.

Good luck and keep playing. Getting old suck, but it still beats the alternative.

Chris

PS - yes I have weighed them all on a digital scale

The Acoustics

Tom Doerr - Trinity. Flamed Maple under Swiss
Tom Doerr - M/D. Braz under Red

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop