The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-06-2015, 09:52 PM

Default Memphis Guitar Festival

Chris, pretty amazing pics...can't wait to see/play them. I might have to give you two tables
Old 04-07-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Guitar View Post
Chris, pretty amazing pics...can't wait to see/play them. I might have to give you two tables
Yeah... I may have gotten a little too excited. But hey, I have been wanting to build these for a while and this is the perfect platform to display them.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:26 PM

The third guitar the I tackled was the ziricote & carpathian spruce auditorium. This is by far my most complicated build for the show. I guess I just like a good challenge.

When I first started looking into lutherie, I came across a ziricote guitar. I don't remember who had made it, but I was smitten non-the-less. When I went to Canada and took Sergei de Jonge's guitar course, I was torn between building a guitar with ziricote and building an all walnut guitar. I ended up going with all walnut and it is still my personal player. I love it. But I have been wanting to build with ziricote ever since. I came across this huge set a while back and have been sitting on it for a while. It just begged to be an auditorium.

I knew I wanted to incorporate turquoise somehow. I wanted it to be nice and subtle rather than screaming. So I avoided my initial temptation to inlay the turquoise around the entire top perimeter like abalone. Instead, I put little pieces of varying size around the top with curly koa in between. I mimicked that same styling in the rosette as well. And since those two elements were so bold, I went for a simple black ebony binding and armrest.

For the neck, I was inspired by our own David Wren. I went with an elevated neck and a faux bound headstock. David was kind enough to give me some guidance on the dimensions of his elevated neck. Thanks David!

The faux bound headstock was fun and took a lot of thought to make the templates necessary for the job. But I like the way it turned out.

This neck is also a bit different from the others in that the fretboard (ziricote) will have gold evo frets and the tuners will be gold as well (with black buttons).

Now for pictures:

Old 04-15-2015, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Its at the Hilton hotel off 240.

Alvarez classical 1975
Old 04-15-2015, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful work, Chris! That BRW is spectacular.
Old 04-16-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringMeUp View Post
Beautiful work, Chris! That BRW is spectacular.
Thanks StringMeUp! I had been drooling over that set of BRW for a while. I just had to build with it.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:08 AM

This is the fourth and final guitar that I am building for the Memphis show. While I was in Canada building with Sergei, I formed a great friendship with the lady building next to me. She was building two guitars at the time and she was able to string one of them up before leaving the course. It was a quilted sapele and german spruce OM. Obviously, the wood itself is striking, but I was amazed by the rich overtones that her little guitar produced. When I got home from the course, quilted sapele was decently abundant and cheap. I thought nothing of it and figured I would build with it eventually. Well, fast forward to present day and now it is getting hard to impossible to get really striking quilted sapele. From what my suppliers have told me, lots of overseas plywood manufacturers are buying up the great logs and cutting it into veneers. This leaves little to no good wood left over that is suitable for guitars. I was exchanging emails with Burton LeGeyt a while ago and he mentioned this stellar set of sapele that luthiers sometimes refer to as brain sapele. I had to have it.

I was in the middle of designing a build for a customer a few years ago. He wanted a cocobolo and german spruce guitar. Well at least at first he did. So I tracked down some old german spruce that came from the Martin factory and was marked 1983. He ended up having a change of heart and we went with bearclaw sitka instead.

When looking through my stash and designing the guitars for this show, I found myself holding the sapele and german spruce. I was thrown back to that time when I got to play my friends guitar and how amazed I was with its sound. I knew I had to build this combo. But since the sapele is so striking, I didn't want to distract from it with a lot of other complicated elements. So I decided that this would be my simple build. When the wood is screaming, don't mute it with other distractions, right? So I chose to use some beautiful and simple bois de rose for the fingerboard, binding, and bridge. This will oxidize to a deep deep burgundy- adding just a subtle bit of color to the guitar that a classic black ebony would lack.

Without further ado, here are the pictures:

Old 04-23-2015, 07:26 AM

I love the look of a busy finish room:

Old 04-23-2015, 07:43 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Since I mistook the cocobolo in the first photo for brazilian, it might speak to the visual quality and potential tonal response. IE it looks awesome so it might sound awesome!
Old 04-24-2015, 08:26 AM
AGF Sponsor

these looks soooooooo good Chris! Excited for you hope all goes well in Memphis.

thanks again for your recent help!

my current guitars;
2014 personal build eir/cedar 25.4
2020 Irvin SJ eir/tunnel 13 redwood top 25.5

guitars I have owned;
1977 Martin D-28
2006 Tom Doerr Legacy Select
1956 Gretsch White Falcon
2011 Taylor GA3e
1967 Silvertone
1969 Stella Harmony
Old 04-26-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneJohnson View Post
these looks soooooooo good Chris! Excited for you hope all goes well in Memphis.

thanks again for your recent help!
Wayne,
Thanks for the kind words.

Fresh from the machine shop, this should be heading your way tomorrow:
Old 04-26-2015, 07:40 AM

Oh my gosh.....that Boise de Rose is SO NICE!! Especially the fretboard.....after seeing this, I think my next build has got to have Boise appointments. Too nice!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 05-01-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Oh my gosh.....that Boise de Rose is SO NICE!! Especially the fretboard.....after seeing this, I think my next build has got to have Boise appointments. Too nice!

Bois de rose is a great wood. I love how it oxidizes to a deep burgundy. Plus, it smells AMAZING!
Old 05-01-2015, 11:23 AM

The guitars are starting to come out of finish. Wow we are getting close.

The cocobolo and sapele guitars are the first two to get bridges:

Old 05-02-2015, 05:49 PM

Chris, they all look amazing! I hope they don't have to wait long before finding a good home.

I really like the Sapele/ German spruce. The bois de rose was a good call.

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop