The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 06-21-2014, 10:04 AM

I am excited and honored to be a part of this show. Bob has put some serious time and effort into making this a great event for luthiers and guitar enthusiasts alike.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

I felt pretty bummed out about Healdsburg 2015 being delayed until 2016. This is always the highlight of my biannual cycle, attending this show, and getting a chance to catch up with all my friends and colleagues in the Biz.

But then, what do you know, Bob Singer comes to the rescue, with the Memphis Acoustic Guitar Festival, neatly dovetailing into that summer festival season. I'm thrilled to be a part of this, for several reasons- one, it gives me the chance and the incentive to build some very special guitars on MY dime, and try out some new design ideas- you know, building real "show-piece" guitars with my best woods, exactly as I would want if I were ordering the ultimate custom guitar for myself...

And two, I've already heard through the grapevine that many of MY favorite builders will be there, so it will be a lot like Healdsburg in that respect. It's always a treat to see what my colleagues are doing- it's such a plentiful source of inspiration!

Third, I've passed through Memphis several times, and it looks like such a nice town... now, I'll have the chance to spend some quality time there, and soak up some of the local musical culture. AND, as an extra bonus, Memphis is only about a six hour drive from where I'm currently living, so it won't be such a long journey.

I love everything about this new festival. Massive kudos to Bob Singer for putting this together. ALL of us who are participating- and ESPECIALLY our fans, who will be there, looking for the ultimate guitar to own and play- owe Bob a great debt of gratitude for making this happen. Raucous applause for Bob Singer!
Steve the Edwinson
Old 06-25-2014, 07:00 PM

Default Workshops

I've filled my 20 slots for the Memphis Acoustic Guitar, but have decided to go to 24 slots. If anyone out there is interested, please contact me offline at [email protected]. Thanks! Bob
Old 07-02-2014, 04:03 AM
AGF Sponsor

This sounds like it is going to be a great show!!! -- I'm very tempted to participate in this one.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:57 PM

Default Memphis Acoustic Guitar Festival - 2015

I will be there! What are the dates? I live in Little Rock and work in Memphis quite a bit.

Rhythm Guitarist
Worship Leader
Accumulator (have way too many)
Master Mason

“I am idealist. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.“
—Carl Sandburg, Incidentals (1907)

"God- grant me the fortitude to keep from purchasing another guitar"
-- Anon, 2015
Old 07-09-2014, 08:20 PM

The dates are June 5-7, 2015...you're really close! For more information check out the website at www.MemphisGuitarFest.com.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Well, after hanging on the sidelines for almost 10 years -- this will be my first show. Very much looking forward to meeting the various luthiers I've "met" over the years via emails and phone calls.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:13 PM

Default Exciting News

I've had a number of conversations with Julius Borges (Borges Guitars), who started the famous Newport Guitar Festival. After explaining how the festival is going to be run, he got really excited and wanted to be a part of the Memphis Festival! Not only is Julius going to be displaying at the festival, he will be doing a lot of behind the scenes work! The sense of 'community' behind this festival has been amazing with all the luthiers jumping in, the advice from Chris and Baker and the hands on help from Julius...it's going to be a wonderful event. Memphis, get ready - here we come! We've reserved the Hilton for 2017 & 2019 as well.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:53 AM

That's Great news! The Julius version of Newport was far better than the Fla. version.

Harv
Old 07-15-2014, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Many Guitar View Post
I've had a number of conversations with Julius Borges (Borges Guitars), who started the famous Newport Guitar Festival. After explaining how the festival is going to be run, he got really excited and wanted to be a part of the Memphis Festival! Not only is Julius going to be displaying at the festival, he will be doing a lot of behind the scenes work! The sense of 'community' behind this festival has been amazing with all the luthiers jumping in, the advice from Chris and Baker and the hands on help from Julius...it's going to be a wonderful event. Memphis, get ready - here we come! We've reserved the Hilton for 2017 & 2019 as well.
Wow. All of this is almost too good to be true...
Old 07-21-2014, 08:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default For The Show

Here's a pic or two of a guitar we plan on showing at the Memphis show.
It sports an inlay done by Craig Lavin which is truly stunning.
Come by our table and take a look.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 07-21-2014, 11:22 AM

Default The Tiger Strikes!

Steve and I have worked on many guitars together. Typically, I supply the back and sides, we discuss what sound I want, then we pick the appropriate top; Steve and Ryan pick the braces and do their magic. Of course you can easily recognize Craig Lavin's artistry. This beauty hit the tropics (Florida) last Thursday in 100% humidity. It promptly went into a special de-humidified room (all are de-humidified, but one more than another), had a little exercise with a ToneRite for 4 days. This guitar sounds even BETTER than it looks...but then again it's a Steve Kinnaird guitar, so there are no surprises there! I am going to HATE to bring this to the Memphis Show Whenever I get one of Steve's guitars in, I have the tough decision, do I keep it or do I sell it. In the end, they are all for sale, the joy for me is creating more and more incredible sounding (and looking) instruments.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Here's a pic or two of a guitar we plan on showing at the Memphis show.
It sports an inlay done by Craig Lavin which is truly stunning.
Come by our table and take a look.

Steve

~~~Stunning!!!~~~
Old 07-22-2014, 07:21 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you Joel. The hope was to provoke more "oh yeah, well this is what I'M bringing!" posts. So let's see 'em folks. And for sure, Joel, let us see some of your beauties as you get them ready.

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 07-22-2014, 09:04 AM

Default Memphis 2015

OK, Steve, here you go. I've been dabbling in Maple lately and having lots of fun. A Gibsonesque 00 and a 2 point Mandolin with 3 points....(I wasn't sure what to call it). Really just getting started, but most likely these will both be coming with me next summer. I'm not sure what else I'll bring, but I'm open to suggestions. If anyone has something they'd like to see, please let me know.

Last edited by Jimmy Caldwell; 07-22-2014 at 11:52 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop