The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-15-2015, 01:05 PM

Another huge endorsement from me for Bryan Sutton's School on Artistworks. I've been there a little over a month and nothing else I have ever done has improved my playing like it has in just 1.5 months. I don't understand how he finds the time to do 15 -20 minute replies to so many videos more or less every single day. And in each and every one he relays really critical knowledge and feedback. It's fantastic. The pre-recorded lessons and materials are some of the best I've ever seen as well. It has improved my playing in all aspects and genres - not just bluegrass - of course it doesn't hurt there either.

I can't believe what a value it is. Just my 2 cents.

And he's a monster of a player.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:11 PM

I also recently took an interest in learning bluegrass guitar. I'v learned a few basic rhythms and leads over the years and thought I wanted to dive straight into playing leads- thinking my rhythm was fairly strong. I recently received the the first few books in Dan Millers "Faltpicking Essentials" book and Cd series. Although I'm only half way through the first book, I'v learned a great deal about rhythm playing, base lines, fills, G runs, and bluegrass history. I'm extremely pleased with the course. It's an eight part series that is laid out in a very logical and progressive fashion, covering rhythm basics, Carter style solos, fiddle tunes, improvisation, and advanced chording and soloing. Here's a link to check out:

http://www.flatpick.com/Flatpicking_...als_s/2015.htm

It's well thought out and comprehensive. Good luck!
Old 04-15-2015, 03:46 PM

I have been focusing more and more on bluegrass too.

I had downloaded Eric Lambert's 1-2-3 Bluegrass on Truefire and have been pleased so far. He assumes you have the basics and fast tracks you to playing.

From a more technical standpoint. I have found none better that Flatpicking Essentials. I have books 1 and 2 and have been loving them.

My next resources to try will be Steve Kaufman.

- Matt
Old 04-15-2015, 04:48 PM

I have a whole series of Steve Kaufman DVDs. I gotta crack them open again and give it another shot. My biggest obstacle is how comfortable I am anchoring my pinky while pick anything intricate.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

2016 Fender American Standard Strat (Burly Slinky)
2015 Taylor 416e (Elixir PB Lights)
2010 Yamaha FG700S (whatever strings I have lying around)
'88 Yamaha FG405
'91 Washburn D-10N
Fishman Loudbox Mini
2001 Fender Standard Tele (Regular Slinky)
'94 Epiphone SG (Regular Slinky)
'90 Ibanez 540SLTD (Super Slinky)
Ibanez SR500 Bass (Ernie Ball flats)

Old 04-15-2015, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

I started in with bluegrass music about 3 years ago when I decided for some reason that I wanted to learn to play the banjo. I never thought I'd ever get into bluegrass music but I love it. I've been a lifelong blues and rock music lover and that's what I concentrating on learning to play on the guitar. However the banjo brought me into bluegrass and then into learning on my guitar how to play bluegrass and flatpicking music.
I'll give another shout out for the bluegrass academy with Bryan Sutton. It really is a great program with some very good lessons taught by a master. I'd strongly suggest doing the video exchanges with Bryan to get some individual attention from Bryan himself. He spends a lot of time giving you feedback regarding your video submission. It's also great to see other players Video exchanges, theres a lot to be learned from what others are doing and what Bryan has to say to them. This is my second year with it, the first year I'd done no Video exchanges but this year I'm applying myself much more and am seeing some change. However that flatpicking isn't easy!
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 04-15-2015, 07:23 PM

I've been playing for over 25 years, have a music degree, went to Berklee, studied classical formally at a conservatory and I can tell you that nothng and I mean nothing will get your right hand together like bluegrass. Get good at that and you'll be the cleanest picker on your block, no matter what style you're playing.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:30 PM

Been through some of Steve Kaufman's stuff and it's good, but I got to 2nd Sleestack's recommendation. I've been going through the Essentials series and it makes sense in every way. Dan Miller, with Tim May, make an outstanding effort that will bring a novice or experienced player, into the bluegrass world.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:41 PM

I feel like such a fool.

I've been playing guitar since the '70s and I've listened to Bluegrass since . . . I dunno, whenever, and I never put the two-and-two together until about 6 months ago. Started playing with a group and it's been a ton 'o fun. Stumbling my way towards competence, aided on the rhythm job by my long gone days as a percussionist and my ability to keep pretty good time.

So we played on a stage today, with people down in front and everything, and it was cool -- didn't even fall over dead when it was my turn to grab a break.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:40 PM

Check out Iron Horse. A bluegrass band that covers rock standards.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdAyO1_0noM
Old 04-18-2015, 06:38 PM

Thumbs up

I just stumbled into Iron Horse doing a cover of 'Rocket Man'. I enjoyed it 10x more than the original release.
Old 04-19-2015, 05:03 AM

Just plain good Bluegrass, Flatt Lonesome

Ramblin Fever

https://youtu.be/6CqytgqnxQU

Snark Tuner
Old 04-19-2015, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
I have a whole series of Steve Kaufman DVDs. I gotta crack them open again and give it another shot. My biggest obstacle is how comfortable I am anchoring my pinky while pick anything intricate.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Just a word to try to help you on your way to flatpick fun. On anchoring your pinky, dont. I know we have all seen many great players do it sometimes on tricky parts or even all the time but my instructor taught me not to and I am far better off for in most cases. It does take awhile to get the feel, sort of like when you learned to keep your thumb moving on fingerpicking Piedmont or Chicago style blues songs. Thought I would never get it. Spent months training. but then one day, there it is! Same thing here. Watch a good picker on something like Church St Blues and you will see what I mean. Check videos by Norman Blake, flatpicker on youtube.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:06 AM

I love the Iron Horse version of Rocketman!
Thanks for posting that....
Old 04-19-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Just a word to try to help you on your way to flatpick fun. On anchoring your pinky, dont. I know we have all seen many great players do it sometimes on tricky parts or even all the time but my instructor taught me not to and I am far better off for in most cases. It does take awhile to get the feel, sort of like when you learned to keep your thumb moving on fingerpicking Piedmont or Chicago style blues songs. Thought I would never get it. Spent months training. but then one day, there it is! Same thing here. Watch a good picker on something like Church St Blues and you will see what I mean. Check videos by Norman Blake, flatpicker on youtube.
I can't say enough about this. I made a conscious decision to not anchor my pinky after watching David Grier. It does take some getting used to but I believe it opens you up to flatpick faster and with more accuracy.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:36 AM

I've used Steve Kaufman and the Flatpick Essentials series with good results, but another book I haven't seen mentioned on here is Russ Barenberg's _Mastering Bluegrass Guitar_ from Homespun. It's from 1978, so it's just a book with tapes that have been converted to 6 CDs (no video), but there's a lot of material, the tunes are enjoyable and challenging, it's incredibly valuable in terms of technique and musicianship, and the instruction and approach are top-notch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion