The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-18-2015, 07:17 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
The differences in my sitka spruce tops have to do with the grain and anything affected by the differences in soil, sunlight exposure and rainfall that the source trees experienced but not in thickness. Taylor guitar parts are probably more consistent than those of any other manufacturer.
Yes, like I said in what you have quoted me on "and at the same thickness that is quite a difference"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
How do you account for the fact that must maple backed guitars tend to have similar tonal characteristics and most rosewood have a propensity for another set of different tonal characteristics across all brands and body styles?
Well people often hear what they see. While it may be obvious to you that the difference is in the back and side woods it is not obvious to me. Even when it come to two "identical" Taylor guitars where from a visual perspective only the back and side woods vary. Also to be clear I am not saying back and side woods play no part in finished instrument tone, volume and projection etc.

For me, to say it is obviously the back and side woods that account for the differences between guitars is over simplified and guitar tone production is not so simple (I wish it was that simple as that would make building to achieve certain tonal palettes much easier all I would have to do is make wood choices)
If I chose car racing instead.
Jim Schofield
Old 04-19-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim.S View Post
Yes, like I said in what you have quoted me on "and at the same thickness that is quite a difference"

Well people often hear what they see. While it may be obvious to you that the difference is in the back and side woods it is not obvious to me. Even when it come to two "identical" Taylor guitars where from a visual perspective only the back and side woods vary. Also to be clear I am not saying back and side woods play no part in finished instrument tone, volume and projection etc.

For me, to say it is obviously the back and side woods that account for the differences between guitars is over simplified and guitar tone production is not so simple (I wish it was that simple as that would make building to achieve certain tonal palettes much easier all I would have to do is make wood choices)
I think we both agree that there are many variables that affect a guitar’s tone (something about which I’ve posted many times) and that the soundboard has the greatest effect. Where we disagree is the degree to which the species of wood for back and sides are a factor and even there, I don’t think we are so very far apart. I’ll even stipulate that guitarists can’t reliably identify the type of wood species of a guitar based solely on its tone.
Old 04-19-2015, 11:47 AM

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair