The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-11-2018, 03:49 PM

Default Simon Fay Guitars -- PSA

So I was quite active on this forum a few years ago but dropped off the radar for a bit as I was swamped with orders, had closed my build list, and wasn’t posting all that much any more. However, I thought I would make a post letting folks know that I’ve reopened my build list. It’s still about 18 to 24 months out but at least, I am accepting orders now. My website has also been updated and I have a fairly extensive FAQ that many might find useful.

I’ve got a number of interesting builds in the wings that I think you all might enjoy seeing - and I will start a build thread once I have a few of those underway. For example, I’m building a Sinker Redwood/Cocobolo guitar for a client in the new few months. It will have a very dark, blackish Redwood top and I’m very excited about seeing that one come together.

I doubt I will be as active on the forum as I once was. I’ve found the internet and social media, in general, to be a massive time drain and so I’m trying to limit my time online. But I’ll definitely participate more than I have these past couple years.

I’ve continued to refine my work over the years and I feel that in the past 18 months I’ve recently kicked it up another level. Granted, at some point, everything becomes very small, subtle gains but I’ve managed to gain a bit more bass, volume, response in my guitars. I'm not much of a self-promoter but I do think my current work is really quite excellent.

One more thing, I will likely be moving out of Florida (New Smyrna Beach) within the next year or two - so if you live in the area, feel free to stop by and check out my work. It’s always fun meeting with players and getting feedback.

I’ll conclude this post with some photos of two guitars I recently completed.

Old 07-11-2018, 04:35 PM

Welcome back...your instruments are still seriously beautiful!
Old 07-11-2018, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

I’m glad you’re back Simon. Beautiful guitars. Where are you moving to (if you care to share that)?
Old 07-11-2018, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

Great to see you back, Simon--your work continues to be quite stunning and impressive!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 07-11-2018, 06:35 PM
Musical minimalist

Great to see you back Simon - been a long time since that gathering at your shop!

I wish I had bought one of those early prototypes! A couple of them haunted me for a long time!

Your new stuff looks great!

Old 07-11-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Where are you moving to (if you care to share that)?
Not quite sure yet. I have family in the northeast but don't really want to move that far up. All of us would like to live closer together and are thinking about something in between -- like North Carolina. At the moment, something in the general region of Asheville is looking promising.

Seriously tho', anybody in the area - stop by and say hello. I'm building more guitars for my dealer network in the near future, so I should always have something here to play.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Great to see you back Simon - been a long time since that gathering at your shop!
You know, since RickS passed away - we've never really had more AGF gatherings in this area. I should really try and set something up, especially before I move. It would be nice to see the old gang again.

I recently read about you finding a guitar similar to Rick's Goodall - I believe it was that Engelmann/Walnut guitar he had. That was a really nice guitar - if I ever bought a Goodall that is exactly the combination I would get.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Fay View Post
Not quite sure yet. I have family in the northeast but don't really want to move that far up. All of us would like to live closer together and are thinking about something in between -- like North Carolina. At the moment, something in the general region of Asheville is looking promising.
You would be most welcome. Let me know if you wind up in this neck of the woods.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Nice to hear what you are up to, Simon. I have always admired your work.

Best,
Jayne
Old 07-12-2018, 08:07 AM

Welcome back Simon!

The wenge guitar you built for me last year continues to open up nicely, and is still my go-to for my favourite fingerstyle pieces.

Hope all is well with you.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:27 AM

Thanks Sean,
I remember your guitar well. It was my first Wenge build and certainly won't be my last. It may not be incredibly figured like some woods or feature a lot of color variation but I found the grain and homogenous color to be incredibly beautiful and well-suited for a modern aesthetic.

I'm planning on sending some guitars to international dealers - I may contact you and see if you have any positive experiences with a high-end guitar dealer in your area.
Old 07-12-2018, 09:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Very handsome work, Simon! Is that wood in the back shot Cuban Mahogany?
It's gorgeous.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 07-12-2018, 09:43 AM

Hi Steve,
Yep, Cuban Mahogany. It's a set I picked up from Don Williams over on the OLF about 5 years ago. I paired it with Engelmann - great combination. I haven't had the chance to build a Mahogany guitar in a long time and was really pleased with the sound. Drier sounding than the guitars I normally build which are almost always some kind of Rosewood.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:10 AM
Humanist

Excellent update, Simon.

Folks here know that you and I have worked together on a number of builds...for their information, the top-guitar-photo pictured here did end up in my hands...good thing, as It's a massively great guitar.

Glad to see this announcement, and hope the relocation goes well. Oregon beckons, but it might be a bit far, based on your family being in the East...!

More to come...
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 07-12-2018, 11:10 AM

Good to see you back Simon!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop