The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-15-2023, 01:10 PM

[QUOTE=mondoslug;7269010]Just leave the Element under the saddle...and clip the wires.

I get that many say it alters their tone but you've had it under there all this time & apparently it hasn't bothered you I think, just leave it.[/QOUTE]

Yes, I could do that but the Anthem SL sounds as good (to me) as any of the HiFi rigs that I’ve heard. I also suspect that it’s less feedback prone than the HiFi.

It’s interesting to me that the Anthem systems were introduced way back in 2011 and it’s still the best mono system out there for my taste. I recently found this 10 year old gig recording with the same system in the guitar that’s in it today. Albeit, the system was repaired once by Baggs support and is ready to be replaced permanently.

https://youtu.be/WuaidoaAO8Y
Old 06-15-2023, 01:38 PM

Oh yeah, I'm not saying otherwise...I misunderstood - won't be the last time. I thought that was a reason you didn't want to try it because of the saddle height/action.

[QUOTE=guitaniac;7269035]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondoslug View Post
Just leave the Element under the saddle...and clip the wires.

I get that many say it alters their tone but you've had it under there all this time & apparently it hasn't bothered you I think, just leave it.[/QOUTE]

Yes, I could do that but the Anthem SL sounds as good (to me) as any of the HiFi rigs that I’ve heard. I also suspect that it’s less feedback prone than the HiFi.

It’s interesting to me that the Anthem systems were introduced way back in 2011 and it’s still the best mono system out there for my taste. I recently found this 10 year old gig recording with the same system in the guitar that’s in it today. Albeit, the system was repaired once by Baggs support and is ready to be replaced permanently.

https://youtu.be/WuaidoaAO8Y
Old 06-15-2023, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Anthem SL if I gig all the time with the guitar and HiFi if I plug in occasionally.
We have a winner! I'm with this as I love the Anthem SL in my Larrivee for gigging.
Old 06-15-2023, 02:33 PM

[QUOTE=mondoslug;7269052]Oh yeah, I'm not saying otherwise...I misunderstood - won't be the last time. I thought that was a reason you didn't want to try it because of the saddle height/action.

I probably should have been more positive about the Anthem SL in my original post. “It served me well” is a pretty generic endorsement.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Just leave the Element under the saddle...and clip the wires.

I get that many say it alters their tone but you've had it under there all this time & apparently it hasn't bothered you I think, just leave it.
Placebo (and social media) effect.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 06-16-2023, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ruh roh...break out the popcorn!

Hey, I'm an Anthem SL Fan.
I’m a few weeks into a low carb life style so I’ll skip the popcorn.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 03-08-2024, 10:23 AM

The Anthem has a very mid-forward sound, which people will either love or hate. It can also sound very bright and thin if too much mic is dialed in. The HiFi seems to have more fullness to the sound and sounds more like "the guitar but louder" to me. I haven't heard the WiFi in person yet, but have a lot of experience with the Anthem. It seems to sound great in large dreads but not so great in smaller body guitars. Not sure why that is?
Old 03-11-2024, 01:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
The Anthem has a very mid-forward sound, which people will either love or hate. It can also sound very bright and thin if too much mic is dialed in. The HiFi seems to have more fullness to the sound and sounds more like "the guitar but louder" to me. I haven't heard the WiFi in person yet, but have a lot of experience with the Anthem. It seems to sound great in large dreads but not so great in smaller body guitars. Not sure why that is?
I have Anthems in a few guitars and have had Anthems in several other very nice guitars; Collings, Martin and Gibson. I would NOT describe the Anthem as mid-forward at all. I find it pleasantly balanced. If the trump is dialed up too high, I do agree it can sound thin and bright. But there is tweak tool you can use to dial the level of TruMic. Then use the blend thumbwheel inside the sound hole to balance between TruMic and the Element UST. I usually dial the blend thumbwheel just a little toward the bridge / Element UST. That gives a little more punch and impact on my attack.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 03-11-2024, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I have Anthems in a few guitars and have had Anthems in several other very nice guitars; Collings, Martin and Gibson. I would NOT describe the Anthem as mid-forward at all. I find it pleasantly balanced. If the trump is dialed up too high, I do agree it can sound thin and bright. But there is tweak tool you can use to dial the level of TruMic. Then use the blend thumbwheel inside the sound hole to balance between TruMic and the Element UST. I usually dial the blend thumbwheel just a little toward the bridge / Element UST. That gives a little more punch and impact on my attack.
I have only had the SL...never the full Anthem. Maybe that's influencing my thoughts? I know about the mic adjustment screw. I think the Anthem can get you a pleasant sound, but it never sounded full spectrum to me. Yes it can get bright but it never sounds bass-sy to me. When I adjust the mic gain knob, it goes from very bright to very mid-rangey. It doesn't work anything like a "tone" knob and I know it's not supposed to. The Hi-Fi on the other hand sounds like it has more natural warmth and roundness to the tone. I amy be wrong. Gary Roberts, do you agree? I know you have played both of these systems in person.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification