The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-10-2023, 07:49 PM

I bought an Eastman MD315 almost two years ago. I messed with it some, but it has mostly sat in its bag....until about 4 weeks ago. I pulled it out of its bag, tuned it up (it was actually pretty much in tune still) and started working on it. I told myself, much like I told myself 32 years ago with the guitar, "I am going to learn to play this thing." Boy, am I having fun with it! The MD315 is a fine little instrument.

As a side-effect, I find it has reinvigorated my guitar playing.
Old 10-10-2023, 09:52 PM

Yep, my experience has been that all of the fretted string instruments tend to cross-pollinate each other. That’s why I play a number of different instruments: working on one will give me insights that I can turn around and use on another.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 10-11-2023, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Those 315 Eastmans are the best of the bunch IMHO. I started with an MD 505 which I credit with hooking me good, but was soon looking for better. Such is the addiction. There are a lot of fiddle tunes on Mandolessions.com. It's free and has all levels of tunes you can learn.

Because you will develop a more precise and compact picking motion, your accuracy with a flatpack on guitar will improve. Beware though, picking cleanly on either instrument will be an obsession.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-11-2023, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Those 315 Eastmans are the best of the bunch IMHO. I started with an MD 505 which I credit with hooking me good, but was soon looking for better. Such is the addiction. There are a lot of fiddle tunes on Mandolessions.com. It's free and has all levels of tunes you can learn.

Because you will develop a more precise and compact picking motion, your accuracy with a flatpack on guitar will improve. Beware though, picking cleanly on either instrument will be an obsession.
Yes, I have already noticed how nice the Eastman is and the obsession is definitely starting on flatpicking better! I have already decided that if I ever feel like it is time for a better one, I will keep the Eastman too. It is really a nice instrument.
Old 10-12-2023, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

Although not a mandolin, Emerald's Amicus https://emeraldguitars.com/models/amicus/ is a great substitute for guitar players who want to produce a mandoliny sound without learning a whole new set of chords. And as a bonus you'll never have to worry about temperature changes and humidity with an Amicus...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Amicus-Header.jpg (41.8 KB, 128 views)
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 10-12-2023 at 03:07 PM.
Old 10-12-2023, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
I bought an Eastman MD315 almost two years ago. I messed with it some, but it has mostly sat in its bag....until about 4 weeks ago. I pulled it out of its bag, tuned it up (it was actually pretty much in tune still) and started working on it. I told myself, much like I told myself 32 years ago with the guitar, "I am going to learn to play this thing." Boy, am I having fun with it! The MD315 is a fine little instrument.

As a side-effect, I find it has reinvigorated my guitar playing.
That's amazing that it was still in tune. I've taken a few runs at mandolin before and always found getting in tune and staying in tune to be maddening compared to guitar. Still think about getting another mando sometimes tho.

Rob
Old 10-12-2023, 03:54 PM
Charter Member

My mandolins stay reasonably "in tune" between playings, but I keep them in the case. I will say that they're not usually at A-440, where I'd left them, but they seem to change just gradually, and somewhat uniformly, across [all] the courses, so I can pick them up and play without immediately spending a lot of time tuning. Might have to turn a key or two to get a pair sounding the same, but until I'm trying to play along to a recording, it's "close enough for bluegrass," as they say.

If I really want to be in tune (A-440), I have to get out the tuner and I'm adjusting all the strings, usually. I think a new instrument is going to still be moving around and drying out, etc. for a few years before it's more stable. And keeping them in a case is going to keep it from being subjected to a lot of changes, so I'd suggest doing that.
Old 10-13-2023, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyGuitar View Post
Yes, I have already noticed how nice the Eastman is and the obsession is definitely starting on flatpicking better! I have already decided that if I ever feel like it is time for a better one, I will keep the Eastman too. It is really a nice instrument.
I'm sure you know by now the cost factor involved in the mandolin world. When The Mandolin Store was still in Arizona, I played my way up both the Eastman and Kentucky lines. To me there was only cosmetic improvement. Differences were slight between the 315 and an 815 tonally. The 815 was beautiful. The 900 and above Kentucky mandolins were a cut above for those wanting to stay under 2K.

I decided spending $3k on a Northfield F5S would be what I'd have to do. After that it's well over $5k and more, way more. I finally found a Weber I liked used, after three years looking for a sub $4k mandolin with some nice inlay and full binding. This happened a few months after I gave up looking. Likely with a 315, you are already scroll addicted. The new Gibson at a mere $6k is about as nice as you will get for your money.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 10-13-2023, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
I'm sure you know by now the cost factor involved in the mandolin world. When The Mandolin Store was still in Arizona, I played my way up both the Eastman and Kentucky lines. To me there was only cosmetic improvement. Differences were slight between the 315 and an 815 tonally. The 815 was beautiful. The 900 and above Kentucky mandolins were a cut above for those wanting to stay under 2K.

I decided spending $3k on a Northfield F5S would be what I'd have to do. After that it's well over $5k and more, way more. I finally found a Weber I liked used, after three years looking for a sub $4k mandolin with some nice inlay and full binding. This happened a few months after I gave up looking. Likely with a 315, you are already scroll addicted. The new Gibson at a mere $6k is about as nice as you will get for your money.
Yes, I think the cost factor in mandolins is a bit of a problem for starting with the instrument. I played some cheaper ones and, to me, they were not worth the money - did not sound good, hard to play, cruddy tuners. The 315 was a big step up from those - heads and shoulders better. Maybe eventually a Collings or Gibson for me, but not anytime soon, and maybe never. The 315 will do for me for a long time and, like I said before, I would keep it if I ever get something "better."
Old 10-19-2023, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

The 315 will serve you well. It is the one F style I'd recommend, IMHO the class of affordable mandolins. More money and worth it, I check out a Kentucky 1000 or 1050. After that a Northfield, but the F 5S is around $3500 now, a used one for $2500 would be something to buy IMHO.

The 315 though is dandy until you decide to get serious.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Fluke tenor ukulele

Old 10-19-2023, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Although not a mandolin, Emerald's Amicus is a great substitute for guitar players who want to produce a mandoliny sound without learning a whole new set of chords. And as a bonus you'll never have to worry about temperature changes and humidity with an Amicus...
One of the many cool thing about mandolins is you don't have to learn a "whole new set of chords" due to the symmetry of a fifths tuned instrument.

For simplicty, let's look at the key of C. A basic first position C chord (from the low G string to the high E) is fretted 5-2-3-0 (yes with 15+ years on mandolin and 50+ on fiddle I'm aware there are other ways to play a C, or any chord). Move this shape one set of strings lower (2-3-0-1) and you have an F (IV chord). Go back to C and move the fingers one set of strings higher (0-5-2-3) and you have a G chord (V). This symmetry is constant in all keys and all positions.

I've seen several of these "cheater" style mandolins, banjos, etc. My advice and encouragement is to embrace the native tuning(s) of non-guitar instruments. It opens lots of doors for learning and playing.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:55 PM

I agree. In my experience, tuning a mandolin or a banjo in a guitar-like tuning just makes them crappy little guitars. The original tuning makes a huge difference in the sound that you get.

whm
Old 10-20-2023, 05:02 AM

I picked up a Gold Tone mandoguitar in a store - and put it right back down. The GAS giants were not moved by it.

D.H.
Old 10-22-2023, 11:35 AM

I'm putting off restringing the F9. The picker I loaned ot to for a gig removed all the strings and didn't seat the bridge properly.
I looked up the correct positioning but am a combination of lazy, procrastinating, and otherwise uninspired.
I've been spending my time on electric guitar.
Old 10-22-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Sarad View Post
I'm putting off restringing the F9. The picker I loaned ot to for a gig removed all the strings and didn't seat the bridge properly.
I looked up the correct positioning but am a combination of lazy, procrastinating, and otherwise uninspired.
I've been spending my time on electric guitar.
Send it to me! I'll correctly position the bridge, string it up with some "fusion matched" Curt Mangan phosphor bronze mediums and play them in for 6 months, no fee. 😉

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments