The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-15-2024, 05:32 AM

Default Questions for those who've ordered from Catfish Keith.

Hey, I recently bought a used National Tricone on Reverb trying to avoid the instant value depreciation of buying a new guitar and long story short that ended up being a miserable disaster. Now I'm ready to buy new. The only customizable buying options available that I know of are direct from National or Catfish Keith. (If you know of any other dealers let me know)

Just wondering about peoples experiences with him. Have you ever had any problems with him like undisclosed repairs or damage? Is he negotiable on prices? Is he timely on shipping and keeping you updated? etc...

Thanks, -James.
Old 01-15-2024, 07:29 AM

I don’t know if he negotiates, but Keith is a standup guy and a monster player. Buy with confidence.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 01-15-2024, 08:07 AM

Last time I checked a few years ago one could also order through Doug Macleod, Sarah Rogo and I think Mike Dowling.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 01-15-2024, 08:07 AM

Met Keith a few months ago. He's a really nice dude. Not sure how much he can negotiate though.
Old 01-15-2024, 04:01 PM

Thanks. I didn't really expect him to be negotiable but just wanted to be sure. I didn't want to be the one idiot paying sticker price when everyone else negotiates.
Old 01-16-2024, 10:59 AM

Catfish Keith seems quite upstanding. He responded promptly and thoroughly to my emailed questions a few years go, and is quite the ambassador for National. AFAIK he has the same pricing latitude as everyone else, but I wouldn't hesitate to order from him.

That said, I also encourage anyone spending that kind of money on a resonator to look at what Matt Eich at Mule Resophonic is building up in Saginaw. I bought my tri-cone from him, and it's an absolute miracle of tone and playability. Plus, the guy himself is a pillar of positivity and pride of craftsmanship.
Old 01-16-2024, 04:03 PM

Thanks for responding. I was considering a mule for a while but I decided from all the sound demos on the internet that the Mules sound like a compressed, watered-down National. The internal resonating system is the same on Mules and Nationals but I think Matt's body design with small thin cut F-holes and that airtight chicken foot coverplate just hold the resonator sound in and take away that aggressive tricone growl/sizzle and vibrating, blooming resonance. Since the only major difference between Nationals and Mules is the "openness" of the body I figured I could always just block off a sound grill or two on my National to mellow the tone and emulate a Mule if I wanted. Plus Nationals a much firmer established company with much more experience and refined craftsmanship in my opinion so I'd feel safer buying a guitar from them. I heard some horror stories about Matt's early guitars rusting and breaking.
Old 01-16-2024, 04:37 PM

I bought 1 guitar from him 6 years ago, nothing bad to say about the service. Shipped quickly, good communication. I think everything he sells ight actually dropship directly from National.
Old 01-16-2024, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James^ View Post
I decided from all the sound demos on the internet that the Mules sound like a compressed, watered-down National.
I'd recommend playing one before passing judgement, but I wish you luck in your National search. They're certainly easier to get ahold of.
Old 01-19-2024, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

I've bought from him a couple of times an El Trovador and a Tri cone.
Knowledgeable, responsive , helpful, nice guy and keeps his promises.
Probably safer than buying from your mother.

Throw in the guys an avid National player , lives, eats, sleeps, drinks Nationals I think you'd be struggling to find a better source, if you can forgive the fact he lives in Iowa.
https://youtu.be/lEkFLG40rE4?si=puIduP78oL4X4pB5

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments