The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 09-27-2023, 06:22 PM

Default New/used Weissenborn… teardrop! Review

Have owned a number of Weissenborn-styled lap steel guitars… been curious about the ‘Teardrop’ shaped Weissenborn but never got a chance to play one. A used Lazy River teardrop showed up so I took a flyer on it.

Spruce top (with a bit of nice bear-claw), mahogany back/sides. Typical excellent build by Rance at Lazy River. This guitar (vs. my Lazy River standard, all mahogany) has a very distinct voice. Sounds and plays More like a 50’s Gibson - Quick. Forward. Bluesy. Responsive. Nasally. Almost dobro-esque. More resonator sounding than any other weiss I’ve played - but in a GOOD way! I can wrestle some of that ‘pretty’ Weissenborn sound out of it… but it loves to be pushed to that barking stage. The midrange is just a kick - a growly honk.

This body style is definitely worth looking at if you play or are curious about lap slide guitar playing.

I like to call playing Weissenborn lap slide my last musical chapter. ‘Spanish’ style guitar playing is a rare occurrence any more in my living room. Arthritis is a given in my family. My dad played a ‘36 Epiphone Broadway rhythm guitar in swing/jazz bands from WWII thru the 70’s… but arthritis curled his fingers and curtailed his playing.

I’m looking at lap steel to be a way to be musical into my late years. Crooked fingers crossed!

Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 10-20-2023, 07:31 AM
Charter Member

I enjoyed your review. I’m sorry about your arthritis in your fingers. Sadly, I can relate.

Arthritis in my fretting hand just ended my ability to play regular guitar. I have been playing for years and have been playing Bluegrass the last few years and I decided I could not just give up on guitar. Even with Steroid injections playing regular guitar is out so I traded one of my Martins for a mint condition 23 yr old Dobro square neck resonator.

So far I can play pain free, it what I’m doing after a week and a half can be called playing I’ll give myself 6 months and see if it will work for me and if I’m able to rejoin my Jam group.

Best of luck to the both of us.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_6472.jpeg (78.8 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6471.jpg (44.4 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6470.jpg (51.9 KB, 73 views)
Old 10-20-2023, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

That is an interesting guitar! I would love to hear you pay and see how you hold the thing!
Old 10-20-2023, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
That is an interesting guitar! I would love to hear you pay and see how you hold the thing!
I’m not great at ‘producing’ videos (especially of my self), but I think I might have some contraption to hold a phone up while taping. I’ll see about that.

It’s really not that different than holding a normal Weissenborn on the lap - just missing the usual upper bout. The hollow neck tapers and has plenty of back surface to be stable.
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 10-20-2023, 10:30 AM

Yo!

Better to explore a way to continue music making vs just punting on it.
I found the journey on Weissenborn (probably started 12 years ago) to be a really fun time. I’d been playing reg style since the early 70’s, singer/songwriter performing for a few years, too. There are so many variations on lap slide that I don’t miss the old ‘Spanish style’ playing. There are also tons of cool sounds/tones you can get with the slide, and different slides offer up unique sounds. My latest absolute tone bar obsession are from Rocky Mountain Slides. slides made out of super polished stone. So sweet.

Keep it up!
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad View Post
I enjoyed your review. I’m sorry about your arthritis in your fingers. Sadly, I can relate.

Arthritis in my fretting hand just ended my ability to play regular guitar. I have been playing for years and have been playing Bluegrass the last few years and I decided I could not just give up on guitar. Even with Steroid injections playing regular guitar is out so I traded one of my Martins for a mint condition 23 yr old Dobro square neck resonator.

So far I can play pain free, it what I’m doing after a week and a half can be called playing I’ll give myself 6 months and see if it will work for me and if I’m able to rejoin my Jam group.

Best of luck to the both of us.
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 11-06-2023, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Smile Contraption

A music stand will hold a phone. So will a book or three.

Have fun with the lap slides! I enjoy mine a lot

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 11-07-2023, 06:35 AM

Right there with you guys.

I've picked up a square neck resonator for the arthritis in my foreseeable future. I injured my left index finger recently, so I've been picking around on it a little.

And a friend / fellow instrument builder came over with weissenborn he'd built for a little jam. Really cool instrument - i'd never heard/seen/played one myself.

Good to keep your fingers in it and the music flowing!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments