The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-23-2016, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Tough for me to understand why you don't like the coolest looking electric guitar ever made, but you could get JM pickups in any solid body with some routing...something with a nice big pickguard would be ideal

Contrary to what some might tell you, JM pickups are not P90's. The Mascis JM pickups ARE essentially P90's...so you might be a little dissapointed if you're expecting true JM sound...but they are cool guitars.

And the pickups on Japanese-made (MIJ) Jazzmasters are essentially Strat pickups (tall, narrow bobbin) inside a wide Jazzmaster pickup cover.

The USA made models have the traditional shallow, wide bobbin. Of course, many people buy an inexpensive Squier or Mexican Fender Jazzmaster, and then replace the stock pickups with aftermarket traditional wide bobbin pickups.
Both Curtis Novak and Jason Lollar are known for their traditional style Jazzmaster pickups.

I agree that the Jazzmaster is the coolest looking solid body guitar - perfect!
Old 09-23-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
Aha... I just took a quic look and thought they were Humbucker sized. Well, maybe I'm asking for something that doesn't exist oustide of a few Luthiers custom builds. Anyone here who owns the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster? My bandmate plays P90 and they hum like a muth****a!!! I do not wan't that dinosaur tech on my home guitar.
Jazzmaster's are pretty bad with hum. At least as bad as p90s. At least Jazzmasters with standard pickups are. That's one of the reasons the Jag pickups look the way they do (tall and narrow), and have the metal claw. An attempt to fix the "mistakes" in the jazzmaster pickups.

I've played the Mascis guitar quite a bit. If you want it for what it is, it's a great, very playable guitar. If you want it because you can't afford an AVRI, and want to "fix it over time", it's not so great... Definitely worth saving your pennies and getting a used AVRI if the plan is to upgrade a Japanese model.

Not trying to be a downer. Seriously. Give some good wide range pickups a listen. I've heard that some of the ones in the early reissues were really just standard humbuckers in a wide range cover. Can't confirm or deny, but I believe it. The ones I have played haven't compared to the real starcaster I owned. They can get you sound you want, without the hum. And you can get then in P90 size, which opens all kinds of guitar options for you.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Jazzmaster's are pretty bad with hum. At least as bad as p90s. At least Jazzmasters with standard pickups are. That's one of the reasons the Jag pickups look the way they do (tall and narrow), and have the metal claw. An attempt to fix the "mistakes" in the jazzmaster pickups.

I've played the Mascis guitar quite a bit. If you want it for what it is, it's a great, very playable guitar. If you want it because you can't afford an AVRI, and want to "fix it over time", it's not so great... Definitely worth saving your pennies and getting a used AVRI if the plan is to upgrade a Japanese model.

As Mr. Beaumont stated, however, the J Mascis pickups are P90s, and P90s have the most pronounced hum of all single coils. Of course, on the other hand, P90s also have the best grunt of any pickup made, period.

True Jazzmaster pickups are lower output, and they have the signature glassy sound.
Old 09-23-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
...If you buy one, play it for a while, and still cannot get along with it, then cut off the offending parts.
A few years ago that was called "doing a bobbitt"...
Old 09-23-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
A few years ago that was called "doing a bobbitt"...
I still remember the comical horrors of "John Bobbitt's Prayer".

Northward, Welcome to the AGF! As you noticed, sometimes we may stray a little from the topic
Old 09-23-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I still remember the comical horrors of "John Bobbitt's Prayer".

Northward, Welcome to the AGF! As you noticed, sometimes we may stray a little from the topic

No probs! And thank you.
I like to make good research before buying an electric. I've owned a few different types, but never played them much. Allways back to the good ol' 6 string acoustic. But I'd like to have a nice clean and pleasant tone for home use and composing. Some of the JM I've heard playing 'jazzy' sounds nice on YT. I guess I thought the hum was a P90s thing only.. bummer!

Thanks for keepin it real about the Squier. They're not that cheap where I live, (but ok priced I guess).

Now, anyone own a Yamaha Revstar?
Old 09-23-2016, 03:27 PM

Now I just found this old japanese surf beast for sale.

Think it'll fit nice with my punk band..haha
Not really my cup of tea though. But it looks gnarly

Old P90s
Old 09-23-2016, 03:41 PM

Tea can be prepared to taste - and FYI those old "lawsuit era" Japanese guitars are going up in value; this one appears to be in good shape - just needs a good cleaning and a whammy handle - and it's got the Kurt Cpbain vibe, so if the price is right you might want to move on it before someone else does...
Old 09-23-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Tea can be prepared to taste - and FYI those old "lawsuit era" Japanese guitars are going up in value; this one appears to be in good shape - just needs a good cleaning and a whammy handle - and it's got the Kurt Cpbain vibe, so if the price is right you might want to move on it before someone else does...
Yeah, I hear these Univox guitars are quality. I might just get it for kicks. I bought a Big-hair white Randy Rhoads V for fun too.. haha
Old 09-23-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
What can I tell ya, -my taste ain't mainstream for some reason. I also like pale ginger girls...

I'm aware of the P90 on the Mascis JM, and don't like that.. Seems like many has done a swap of PUPs. But the man has got good taste in colours.
Mascis is a personal hero.

Your post made me laugh out loud, because I had a conversation with a friend once about his guitars...he was fascinated I don't name mine, as his not only have names but I'm pretty sure they're named after actual people.

He has a jazzmaster named "Lauren" who was this totally cute nerdy redhead we went to college with.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-23-2016, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Mascis is a personal hero.

Your post made me laugh out loud, because I had a conversation with a friend once about his guitars...he was fascinated I don't name mine, as his not only have names but I'm pretty sure they're named after actual people.

He has a jazzmaster named "Lauren" who was this totally cute nerdy redhead we went to college with.

hahaha..Fantastic! I've just got inspired to name my guitars.

I used to have this old Swedish Volvo from 1969 who just got named "The Stove" (in my language, Norwegian). I guess 'cause the dashboard was reminicent of an old stove Soulful objects deserves good names
Old 09-23-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
As Mr. Beaumont stated, however, the J Mascis pickups are P90s, and P90s have the most pronounced hum of all single coils. Of course, on the other hand, P90s also have the best grunt of any pickup made, period.

True Jazzmaster pickups are lower output, and they have the signature glassy sound.
No. They aren't. They are taller than "real" jazzmaster pickups, but they don't have the massive magnets. So no. Not at all.
Old 09-23-2016, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Now I just found this old japanese surf beast for sale.

Think it'll fit nice with my punk band..haha
Not really my cup of tea though. But it looks gnarly

Old P90s
If that's a Univox, it worked out well for Kurt...
Old 09-23-2016, 07:50 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. (Personally I love the Jazzmaster even though I don't own one).
Old 09-23-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. (Personally I love the Jazzmaster even though I don't own one).
I have a slight preference for the jag, because of all that bling

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars