The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-23-2016, 11:44 AM

Default Jazzmaster alternative? -not offset body..

Hello

New man in the forum :-)

I'm thinking about buing an electric and l really like the easy playability and smooth sound of a Fender Jazzmaster, but I'm not too crazy about the look. I fancy more the look of a Yamaha SG, -the new Revstars or wacky looking guitars like Eastwood, old Hagströms -stuff that stand out.

Question is: what guitar sounds and plays like a Jazzmaster but is not? Does one even exist... I'm thinking about swiching PUPs on a different guitar, but Jazzmaster PUPs are large and does not fit all.

I'm kinda warming up to the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster, but mostly cause it gets such good reviews from users. I would love a totally different guitar with Jazzmaster action and sound. Call me crazy..

Thanks
Old 09-23-2016, 11:56 AM

Not exactly the same thing, but you can get these P90s that sound like Fender wide range pickups, and should drop into any P-90 guitar. http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/NarrowRange.shtml
Old 09-23-2016, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northward View Post
Hello

New man in the forum :-)

I'm thinking about buing an electric and l really like the easy playability and smooth sound of a Fender Jazzmaster, but I'm not too crazy about the look.

Question is: what guitar sounds and plays like a Jazzmaster but is not? Does one even exist... I'm thinking about swiching PUPs on a different guitar, but Jazzmaster PUPs are large and does not fit all.
Accept the looks and move on.

If you buy one, play it for a while, and still cannot get along with it, then cut off the offending parts.

George
Old 09-23-2016, 12:08 PM

Tough for me to understand why you don't like the coolest looking electric guitar ever made, but you could get JM pickups in any solid body with some routing...something with a nice big pickguard would be ideal

Contrary to what some might tell you, JM pickups are not P90's. The Mascis JM pickups ARE essentially P90's...so you might be a little dissapointed if you're expecting true JM sound...but they are cool guitars.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-23-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
Accept the looks and move on.

If you buy one, play it for a while, and still cannot get along with it, then cut off the offending parts.
I acually though about it...trimming the offending horn so to speak...
Old 09-23-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Not exactly the same thing, but you can get these P90s that sound like Fender wide range pickups, and should drop into any P-90 guitar. http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/NarrowRange.shtml
Thanks man. Maybe there are Jazzmaster PUPs in this size somewhere out there too ..
Old 09-23-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks man. Maybe there are Jazzmaster PUPs in this size somewhere out there too ..
Here ya go:

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/mer...master-pickups

Jason makes some very fine pickups.

George
Old 09-23-2016, 12:27 PM

Default Are you handy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRWK5OH2vSA
Old 09-23-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Tough for me to understand why you don't like the coolest looking electric guitar ever made, but you could get JM pickups in any solid body with some routing...something with a nice big pickguard would be ideal

Contrary to what some might tell you, JM pickups are not P90's. The Mascis JM pickups ARE essentially P90's...so you might be a little dissapointed if you're expecting true JM sound...but they are cool guitars.
What can I tell ya, -my taste ain't mainstream for some reason. I also like pale ginger girls...

I'm aware of the P90 on the Mascis JM, and don't like that.. Seems like many has done a swap of PUPs. But the man has got good taste in colours.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I acually though about it...trimming the offending horn so to speak...
BAND SAW, Baby, oh yeah...

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=443974

George
Old 09-23-2016, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Here ya go:

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/mer...master-pickups

Jason makes some very fine pickups.
SWEET! Somehow I knew this was a great forum for anything guitar! Thank you!
Old 09-23-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:

hahaha.. What a ******* Tele
Old 09-23-2016, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post

JM's beats a Strat anyday of the week - designwise ;-)
Old 09-23-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
SWEET! Somehow I knew this was a great forum for anything guitar! Thank you!
Sorry to break the news, but those both fit in jazzmasters. One is standard and one is a P90 in jazzmaster clothing.

I don't think you'll find anyone who makes an off the shelf Jazzmaster pickup that fits p90 or humbucker. Most who want that sound also want the trem, and look of a jazzmaster.

Novak certainly does one of a kinds for folks. But they aren't cheap. You could call and ask.

Definitely give wide range pickups a sound check. It kind of was an attempt to fix the noise issues of a Jazzmaster while still being more fendery than a P90 or standard humbucker.

You also have to understand that a lot of the Jazzmaster tone came from the electronics. The main tone pot (as opposed to the rhythm circuit) in particular was a major contributor. So there is more to a jazzmaster sound than just the pickups. Yes, I've owned a few And jags too.

Here's a demo of some wide rangers
Old 09-23-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Sorry to break the news, but those both fit in jazzmasters. One is standard and one is a P90 in jazzmaster clothing.

I don't think you'll find anyone who makes an off the shelf Jazzmaster pickup that fits p90 or humbucker. Most who want that sound also want the trem, and look of a jazzmaster.

Novak certainly does one of a kinds for folks. But they aren't cheap. You could call and ask.

Definitely give wide range pickups a sound check. It kind of was an attempt to fix the noise issues of a Jazzmaster while still being more fendery than a P90 or standard humbucker.

You also have to understand that a lot of the Jazzmaster tone came from the electronics. The main tone pot (as opposed to the rhythm circuit) in particular was a major contributor. So there is more to a jazzmaster sound than just the pickups. Yes, I've owned a few And jags too.

Here's a demo of some wide rangers
Aha... I just took a quic look and thought they were Humbucker sized. Well, maybe I'm asking for something that doesn't exist oustide of a few Luthiers custom builds. Anyone here who owns the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster? My bandmate plays P90 and they hum like a muth****a!!! I do not wan't that dinosaur tech on my home guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars