The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-16-2016, 05:34 PM

Default Any SG players here?

So, do we have any SG players here? It took me nearly 30 years before I finally picked one up a last year. A SG '50s Tribute and a SGJ. Nice guitars and very light compared to Les Pauls.

'50s Tribute with P-90s.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:16 PM

SGs are nice. Congrats. I have a standard and an old Classic with P90s. While I do not play the Classic much anymore, I always wonder why when I pick it up. It just has that snarly sound I associate with late 60s rock. Have fun!
Old 09-17-2016, 09:16 AM

Had one of the first-run '61 Reissues about 30 years ago - the ones with the authentic 1-9/16" flat-C neck - that I traded on a '47 early white-label A-Series L-7 (which I sold to fund a set of his-&-hers Rainsongs, but that's another story); always liked the light weight and speedy handling - may just get myself one of those Specials with the mini-buckers to complement my SG Faded bass...
Old 09-18-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
SGs are nice. Congrats. I have a standard and an old Classic with P90s. While I do not play the Classic much anymore, I always wonder why when I pick it up. It just has that snarly sound I associate with late 60s rock. Have fun!
It's those P90s!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Had one of the first-run '61 Reissues about 30 years ago - the ones with the authentic 1-9/16" flat-C neck - that I traded on a '47 early white-label A-Series L-7 (which I sold to fund a set of his-&-hers Rainsongs, but that's another story); always liked the light weight and speedy handling - may just get myself one of those Specials with the mini-buckers to complement my SG Faded bass...
How do you like mini-humbuckers, Steve?
Old 09-18-2016, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
So, do we have any SG players here? It took me nearly 30 years before I finally picked one up a last year. A SG '50s Tribute and a SGJ. Nice guitars and very light compared to Les Pauls.

'50s Tribute with P-90s.
I had the same SG but in red. Picked it up for a smkoin deal. Picked up at Future Shop on Saturday and that Monday the were closed for good. Best $300.00 CND ever.

I also have this one:

2014 SG Special in Butterscotch
Old 09-19-2016, 04:57 AM

yep..
I have two a standard and classic w/p90s.
Old 09-19-2016, 05:24 AM

I don't have a real Gibson SG, but I have the DeArmond S100 copy.
I keep finding myself 2 frets too high!
Old 09-19-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagobert View Post
I had the same SG but in red. Picked it up for a smkoin deal. Picked up at Future Shop on Saturday and that Monday the were closed for good. Best $300.00 CND ever.

<<Snippet pic>>
Yep, that's where I got both of mine, from Future Shop online when they were blowing them away. I think I paid $399 and $499 taxes in for both of them.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
...How do you like mini-humbuckers, Steve?
Got 'em in my Taylor Custom Solidbody - to my ears they're a more refined version of the P-90 tone: similar overall response but a bit less power, particularly in the midrange; IMO they'd be a good complement to your existing P-90/big-bucker SG's...
Old 09-19-2016, 10:36 AM

Default 2013 sg

I love mine, the tone, playablity, the aesthetics, and the great neck profile!

Old 09-19-2016, 12:52 PM

Recently purchased an Epiphone SG Special. Cherry Red color, 2 open coil humbuckers, tune-a-matic bridge. Very happy with it--easy to play, comfortable neck and not too heavy. Started out on electric when I was in my early teens. Stopped playing in my mid 20's and didn't pick up the guitar again until I was 70. Started out then on acoustic but I just didn't warm to it and my old, stiff hands had trouble with the wider neck. Decided to go back to electric and I'm glad I did. Also trying to teach myself mandolin. Anyway, back on topic, I like the SG much better than the Les Paul models I tried.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Dru, this is the only Gibson I own. It is a 2007 or 2008? Gibson Diablo guitar of the week. I doesn't get any play time to speak of as I want to keep it pristine and hopefully it will retain it's value. It is a cool guitar. -- Darwin

Old 09-22-2016, 08:40 AM

Darwin, what a sweet SG! Do you know what kind of pickups?

OT, do you have any Teles? . My Telecaster book (Dave Hunter) came in last night. Lots of pretty pictures too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
Dru, this is the only Gibson I own. It is a 2007 or 2008? Gibson Diablo guitar of the week. I doesn't get any play time to speak of as I want to keep it pristine and hopefully it will retain it's value. It is a cool guitar. -- Darwin

Old 09-22-2016, 02:44 PM

I'm not cool enough to play an SG. But I think they look rad when cool guys play them.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:06 PM

Had one. Couldn't handle the neck dive. Back to my Fenders.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars