The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-16-2016, 08:55 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I just published a review of the Analog Alien Joe Walsh Double Classic Compressor/Overdrive on my site over HERE. Take a look and see if that interests you.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-16-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoggs View Post
Forgive my lack of knowledge, but some wah's also serve as volume control correct? Any suggestions of good Wah's to look at. Thanks!
I think some do dual function, I've never owned one of those, seems confusing.

Volume pedals are nice if you're playing live.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-16-2016, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

I have two wahs, an old Thomas Crybaby and a recent Fulltone Clyde Standard, and the Fulltone is infinitely better in all ways than the Crybaby - sound quality, range, cord powering, and especially (lack of) noise. I still rarely use it, but I do use it sometimes. I never knew how much better a wah could be when I only had the Crybaby.
'82 Fender Musicmaster bass
'15 Breedlove Premier OF mandolin
Marshall JVM210c amp plus a bunch of stompboxes and misc. gear
Old 09-16-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyAK View Post
I have two wahs, an old Thomas Crybaby and a recent Fulltone Clyde Standard, and the Fulltone is infinitely better in all ways than the Crybaby - sound quality, range, cord powering, and especially (lack of) noise. I still rarely use it, but I do use it sometimes. I never knew how much better a wah could be when I only had the Crybaby.
Wahs are definitely an area where better is better. Not necessarily true with boosts or distortion in my experience.

That being said I have plain jane basic wah. Because I let my son use all my gear.

Well except for vintage amps.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:20 AM

I'd go for a Wampler Paisley Drive
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 09-16-2016, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

You've got a solid set up, no doubt....

- Compressor will help with your finger style stuff you referenced. I prefer the compressors with a blend knob and my top pick is the Barber compressor - the new compact one has a nifty little switch that adds the high sparkle back in that often is lost when a compressor is used.

-- Volume pedal is often really helpful, both for swells and for keeping the guitar off as needed during a gig. No gig? probably don't need one unless you're a fan of swells.

-- Wah is a bunch of fun - kind of addictive, actually. I would do a 2-in-1 Wah/Volume. Did that once, didn't like it for either function.

-- A Rat is a left field choice, but you'll be amazed at how cray good it sounds, even on the lowest overdrive setting.

Enjoy - pedals are addictive. We all need something to do to postpone practice and improvement. Pedal shopping is as good a distraction as any for that purpose
Old 09-16-2016, 01:38 PM

I think all the one's you mentioned would be nice additions to what you have. My personal pick would be a compressor. I don't really get the importance of a volume pedal. Envelope filters are awesome too.

Maybe you should think about getting two additions to your board
Old 09-16-2016, 03:52 PM

Learn to get a great sound without any pedal. Then you'll be in a much better position to appreciate what they can add. Don't become pedal dependent!
Old 09-16-2016, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I think all the one's you mentioned would be nice additions to what you have. My personal pick would be a compressor. I don't really get the importance of a volume pedal. Envelope filters are awesome too.

It depends on your style. For me it was strictly a club thing. I don't do that anymore so I haven't plugged in my Morley in 5 years...

But there were definitely times when the only pedals I had on stage where a compressor, a treble booster, and a volume pedal.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Learn to get a great sound without any pedal. Then you'll be in a much better position to appreciate what they can add. Don't become pedal dependent!
Agreed. This is one of the reasons I stayed purely acoustic for 11 years. You really train your ear and learn not to hide behind distortion. One of the reasons I went tele as well.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:

Play a crap hole with dirty power and a tele, you'll love a volume pedal.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-16-2016, 07:13 PM

I only really started playing single coils till recently so I guess what I am hearing is that a volume pedal helps you control noise on stage? Is that like between songs you can just step on it to lower the volume so no one can hear all the hiss or do you actually set they pedal rocker at some point and leave it there all night?

My only experience with a volume pedal was one of those Dunlop wah/volume pedals and the volume pedal sweep on that device was pretty much worthless. I thought it was cool that I could use it to get that sort of bowed cello effect but it was not so great that I needed it.
Old 09-16-2016, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I only really started playing single coils till recently so I guess what I am hearing is that a volume pedal helps you control noise on stage? Is that like between songs you can just step on it to lower the volume so no one can hear all the hiss or do you actually set they pedal rocker at some point and leave it there all night?

My only experience with a volume pedal was one of those Dunlop wah/volume pedals and the volume pedal sweep on that device was pretty much worthless. I thought it was cool that I could use it to get that sort of bowed cello effect but it was not so great that I needed it.
Think of it as a more convenient volume knob. I don't use them (there's nothing they do that I can't get another way), but some folks swear by them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
fender amp amplifier, pedalboard, pedals, telecaster