The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-07-2016, 07:31 AM

Default NGD: Fender Special Run Koa Telecaster

I just picked up a Telecaster after 15 years without one. It's a made-in-Korea FSR with a koa top, Seymour Duncan pickups, rosewood fretboard and pearloid pickguard. It has a six-saddle bridge that I already don't like, so I've ordered a replacement with 3 brass compensated saddles.

The neck pickup is fabulous, Typically, import and Squier neck pickups are the weakest link on these guitars but the Duncan pickup is great. The bridge pickup is decent, but I've heard better. It's certainly good enough for what I do. Guitar seems fairly light, I'm guessing between 7-8 pounds.

I was hoping to get a Baja but really wanted a rosewood board and finding a used one of those didn't seem likely. I'm pretty happy with this at the price I paid.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:42 AM

Congrats!! I was wondering which SD pickups you had - I just found the specs on that guitar (hoping it's yours) and it has Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro pickups (APTR-1 neck, APTL-1 bridge). I'm sure they sound great.

Have you tried adjusting the height of the bridge pickup? Might change the tone slightly. Do you think you may replace it?
Old 09-08-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Congrats!! I was wondering which SD pickups you had - I just found the specs on that guitar (hoping it's yours) and it has Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro pickups (APTR-1 neck, APTL-1 bridge). I'm sure they sound great.

Have you tried adjusting the height of the bridge pickup? Might change the tone slightly. Do you think you may replace it?
I am going to tinker with the bridge pickup height for sure, given that I will be replacing the bridge and the strings may be at a different height on the new one. It's not bad as it is, but I am on the neck pickup all day, playing the blues.
Old 09-08-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuman View Post
I am going to tinker with the bridge pickup height for sure, given that I will be replacing the bridge and the strings may be at a different height on the new one. It's not bad as it is, but I am on the neck pickup all day, playing the blues.
How does koa change the tone of the tele as opposed to alder/ash. Does it warm it up?
Old 09-08-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
How does koa change the tone of the tele as opposed to alder/ash. Does it warm it up?
The body is almost all alder. I really can't be sure. It seems rounder/warmer/fatter than the Tele's I'm used to, but I think that is mostly a function of the pickups. Also, the strings are way old, and it's got one of those six-saddle bridges (not the modern-style with the Strat-type saddles; the other one). I expect to hear more bite from the lead position when I replace the strings and bridge.

It's funny how you can get excited by the most primitive, basic electric guitar out there. But I am pretty pumped up. You can hot-rod these like a mother. I saw they are selling the Baja control plates on e-bay at a fairly reasonable price and I might do that at some point. Locking tuners . . . tortoise guard . . .

It's pathological.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars