The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-22-2016, 07:06 PM

Default Drop D tuning

In guitar lessons, I am learning a song in drop D tuning..but just one song..will it be bad for me to go from standard tuning to drop D for lessons and practicing?? When I practice, I plan on doing my normal songs in standard tuning then just switch to drop D for the latter of my practice..and then switch back to standard and drop d in lessons...just making sure switching every so often won't harm my guitar...thanks
Old 08-22-2016, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyfan161 View Post
In guitar lessons, I am learning a song in drop D tuning..but just one song..will it be bad for me to go from standard tuning to drop D for lessons and practicing?? When I practice, I plan on doing my normal songs in standard tuning then just switch to drop D for the latter of my practice..and then switch back to standard and drop d in lessons...just making sure switching every so often won't harm my guitar...thanks
No harm. Don't worry about it.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi KF

It won't harm the guitar, nor you.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-22-2016, 10:14 PM

"This is where my fingers go during this song" works in every tuning that ever has, and ever will exist.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:38 AM

To make this a bit less cumbersome, you can get yerself a drop D capo....

Kyser makes em...
Old 08-23-2016, 08:31 AM

Caution--what no one is telling you is that you can only go back and forth between standard and drop-D a maximum of three times in one session before your guitar EXPLODES!

Seriously though, there are no problems doing this...until your guitar EXPLODES!
Old 08-23-2016, 08:45 AM

No problem, but unless you're already using 12's/13's you might want to step up to the next heavier gauge of strings - or a light-top/heavy bottom (10-52) set - to prevent fret buzz...
Old 08-23-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
To make this a bit less cumbersome, you can get yerself a drop D capo....

Kyser makes em...
? How would that work? Unless, you're referring to any capo that can cover only the top 5 strings, in which case, you can capo to "Drop E" - not the same thing.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:07 AM

No problem, as others have pointed out. The only thing you might run into is that de-tuning will affect your bridge adjustment if you have a trem.

I use my Tele for open G tuning at gigs for all of our slide tunes and Stones covers, Strat for most everything else, but I usually just take my Tele to rehearsals so I don't have to drag 2 guitars. I swap it back & forth between standard and open G all the time with no issues, and don't find that I have to go up in string gauge...just use the 10-46 that I use on everything else.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 08-24-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickgm60 View Post
? How would that work? Unless, you're referring to any capo that can cover only the top 5 strings, in which case, you can capo to "Drop E" - not the same thing.
yea, these are partial capos.. there's drop D, Double drop d, and short cut capos as well

use it on the second fret and you have drop d tuning (in F#.)

put a standard capo on any fret, the drop D two frets up and you have drop D tuning in any key you need.

here's an example:
https://reverb.com/item/390328-kyser...op-Accessories

Last edited by rmp; 08-24-2016 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:51 AM

Or you could grab an EVH model with the D-Tuna...
Old 08-24-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
It won't harm your guitar, but if you have a floating bridge, the tuning may drift.

George
Old 08-24-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
yea, these are partial capos.. there's drop D, Double drop d, and short cut capos as well

use it on the second fret and you have drop d tuning (in F#.)

put a standard capo on any fret, the drop D two frets up and you have drop D tuning in any key you need.

here's an example:
https://reverb.com/item/390328-kyser...op-Accessories
First, I freely admit that my knowledge of music is pretty sketchy, so perhaps that is the problem here. I also acknowledge that I may be like the poor sap in the room where everyone except him gets the joke. But this discussion is really confusing to me, as it implies (or even states) that a capo can give you Drop D tuning if you are in standard tuning to start with. I don't appear to be the only one wondering about this.

By definition, Drop D tuning is DADGBE, which is just standard tuning at A440 with the sixth string dropped a whole step to D. If you don't have these notes, you don't have Drop D. Capoing strings 1-5 at the second fret doesn't give you Drop D. The only way the capo described gives you Drop D tuning is if you are tuned down a whole step to begin with.

If it was called a "Drop tuning capo" or some such that would make sense, but in fact it is only a Drop D capo in one specific instance.

I don't think this is a pedantic point, I think it's one that actually makes a difference to understanding what is being said accurately. And I am perfectly open to being corrected.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

If you want to stay in the original key, then dropping the 6th string a tone whenever you play the piece won't do any harm, as already advised.

The suggested alternative of fitting a 5-string capo on the top 5 strings will give you the same intervals for the open strings and you play one tone higher, but the fingering on the 6th string will not be the same (in case you plan to follow tab).

I play in several different tunings including some in Drop D and some in this 'quasi' Drop E tuning, but for me they are not interchangeable.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 08-24-2016, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
First, I freely admit that my knowledge of music is pretty sketchy, so perhaps that is the problem here. I also acknowledge that I may be like the poor sap in the room where everyone except him gets the joke. But this discussion is really confusing to me, as it implies (or even states) that a capo can give you Drop D tuning if you are in standard tuning to start with. I don't appear to be the only one wondering about this.

By definition, Drop D tuning is DADGBE, which is just standard tuning at A440 with the sixth string dropped a whole step to D. If you don't have these notes, you don't have Drop D. Capoing strings 1-5 at the second fret doesn't give you Drop D. The only way the capo described gives you Drop D tuning is if you are tuned down a whole step to begin with.

If it was called a "Drop tuning capo" or some such that would make sense, but in fact it is only a Drop D capo in one specific instance.

I don't think this is a pedantic point, I think it's one that actually makes a difference to understanding what is being said accurately. And I am perfectly open to being corrected.
Yes, you are correct. That was the point I was trying to make, in my post, above. "Drop-D" tuning cannot be accomplished with a capo, but, capoing only the first 5 strings, on the second fret, yields "Drop-E."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars