The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-16-2016, 05:55 AM

Default NGD - Fender Strat

I wanted an artic white Suhr but for $3000 I decided to make my own.

Here is my starting point, a 2012 artic white HSS Strat with Rosewood board. It's exactly what I wanted.

The plastic was still on the pickguard. I'll put a YouTube video out shortly of me cleaning it up, doing the frets (which are brand new, they were dirty), copper in the cavity, etc.

Here are some pics or it didn't happen.

20160614_195400 by , on Flickr

20160614_174952 by , on Flickr

20160614_202752 by , on Flickr

YouTube Channel - Guitars, Gear, Unboxing
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_w..._k-vCqoY7yPm1Q

Last edited by jpjr50; 09-19-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:01 AM

Looks fantastic - congrats! Have you considered a tortoise colored pickguard? That's what I did to my white frankenstrat.
Old 06-16-2016, 12:31 PM

I have OCD so white signifies cleanliness to me so I'm going to keep it like this for awhile.

I just contacted Suhr if they can make a loaded pickguard with a Suhr Doug Aldrich bridge humbucker, Suhr Michael Landau Middle Pickup and Suhr Michael Landau neck pickup and their pots / switches / capacitors / wiring, etc.

They have a really long list I would need to fill out in order for them to provide a quote.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:18 PM

The "Synchronized Tremolo". A thing of beauty. I don't like them floatin' ones that make your tunin' all catywompus when you bend strings as Leo intended!
Old 06-17-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
The "Synchronized Tremolo". A thing of beauty. I don't like them floatin' ones that make your tunin' all catywompus when you bend strings as Leo intended!
I had a floater in my Ibanez RG with the locking nut, 24 frets and dive bomb glory. Mine actually stayed in tune pretty well and it was great fun.

I do down tune to Drop D often, even go a full step down D to D so I used a different guitar for all that. Had to have several guitars because of the floater.

I'm really enjoying this Trem, it's subtle and the slightest touch sets it off which is cool.

YouTube video should be up soon, I'll post a link.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:24 PM

great looking machines!!

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 06-18-2016, 02:21 AM

Default NGD - Fender Strat

Sweet jpjr50, there's something about a white Strat. I used to GAS for one but decided that sunburst had to come first!

Personally I prefer the modern pivoting bridge, it makes it easier to pull up as well as push down. I don't really get any of the tuning issues either, maybe I just got lucky!

My most recent electric acquisition, the Ibanez RH350, has the Edge III locking bridge. I agree there are no significant tuning issues when in use - but it takes a lot longer to tune to pitch than a Strat, especially when changing strings...
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 06-19-2016, 05:31 AM

Fantastic guitar!
Old 06-24-2016, 06:44 AM

The mods are starting.

I've had a week now and love it.

Mods I'll be doing tonight on my YouTube Channel

Tusq Nut - Fender uses the plastic nut on the MIM models so in keeping with the Suhr theme Tusq goes in.

Roller String Tree - The MIM has the wing string tree which I don't think is very efficient with a tremolo system so roller goes in.

Neck Badge - The MIM backside neck plate is kinda boring so I'll be installing the "F" logo plate. I know Suhr doesn't do this but for a couple of bucks worth it to me.

Fender Locking Tuners - Suhr uses Spertzel but in keeping with the Fender theme on the backside of the guitar I chose the "F" logo locking tuners. Might be a separate video for this as UPS shows this arriving 6/29.

Mods to Come:
Suhr couldn't quote me a loaded pickguard with their pickups, pots, switches, wiring because their pickguard only fits on Suhr guitars. Well I tried. It looks as though I'll need to change out all the electronics by myself. I'm fine with that, Doug Aldrich humbucker is up first.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post

Personally I prefer the modern pivoting bridge, it makes it easier to pull up as well as push down. I don't really get any of the tuning issues either, maybe I just got lucky!
It all depends on your playing style. One specific example is the blues staple playing both the 2nd and 3rd strings while fretting a note on the 2nd string, and fretting the 3rd string two frets up and bending the 3rd string while holding the 2nd string steady.

With the floating trem, you are also pulling the 2nd string out of tune, and you have to bend much farther to get the 3rd string where you want it because the trem is lifting. With the 6 point original trem laying flat on the body, you can adjust the springs so that no matter how far you bend, the bridge is NEVER lifting. That's why I have an EVH Wolfgang as my shredder. It's a floyd rose, but it's set up like an original fender. It's flat on the body. My Parker Fly also has that setup as an option. You can float it, or throw a mechanical switch on the back that locks it into "down only".

I don't know if I explained it clearly. This is easier. Play the open 2nd string while bending, but NOT picking the 3rd string. Listen to the 2nd string. That's a deal breaker for a lot of techniques.
Old 06-24-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
It all depends on your playing style. One specific example is the blues staple playing both the 2nd and 3rd strings while fretting a note on the 2nd string, and fretting the 3rd string two frets up and bending the 3rd string while holding the 2nd string steady.

With the floating trem, you are also pulling the 2nd string out of tune, and you have to bend much farther to get the 3rd string where you want it because the trem is lifting. With the 6 point original trem laying flat on the body, you can adjust the springs so that no matter how far you bend, the bridge is NEVER lifting. That's why I have an EVH Wolfgang as my shredder. It's a floyd rose, but it's set up like an original fender. It's flat on the body. My Parker Fly also has that setup as an option. You can float it, or throw a mechanical switch on the back that locks it into "down only".

I don't know if I explained it clearly. This is easier. Play the open 2nd string while bending, but NOT picking the 3rd string. Listen to the 2nd string. That's a deal breaker for a lot of techniques.
I'm also a non-float guy, but because I tend to rest my palm on the bridge to mute strings. It's really not so hard to set up a vintage trem or Floyd to do this - a thin scrap of wood with double stick tape, whose thickness matches the gap between trem block and trem block cavity, then a slight tightening of the spring claw screws to keep the trem block tight against the shim.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
I'm also a non-float guy, but because I tend to rest my palm on the bridge to mute strings. It's really not so hard to set up a vintage trem or Floyd to do this - a thin scrap of wood with double stick tape, whose thickness matches the gap between trem block and trem block cavity, then a slight tightening of the spring claw screws to keep the trem block tight against the shim.
Done it on a G&L trem. But I wasn't smart enough to use double sided tape. I used superglue...
Old 07-06-2016, 11:55 PM

Nice guitar there, Arctic White is always a really clean starting point. As far as a tort PG, I wouldn't change a thing.

Regarding a floating tremolo going out of tune on bends, may I suggest that a floated trem equipped with a Hipshot Tremsetter is about as stable as you can get without blocking or decking the trem.
Old 07-07-2016, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post

Yeah, I get what you mean and fair play to you if the 6 point suits you!

It might be that I'm used to it (I've had my Strat from new in 1992), or that I don't do extreme bends but I guess I've learned to adjust where necessary. We are rehearsing an Eagles tribute show and I do notice the problem when playing my part of the solo on Hotel California on either my Strat or Ibanez - those guys use a LOT of bends - and then I have to bend the note in the 1st string to compensate when bending the 2nd as the tremolo gets pulled and drops it out of tune.

For the show itself I will probably use my ASAT which is a hard tail bridge so problem solved!

Still awesome Strat you have there though
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 07-07-2016, 08:21 AM

Very nice. I have a similar strat with a white pearloid pickguard, SD Custom Custom humbucker in the bridge and two Virtual Vintage DiMarzio singles..

Mine is also a MIM strat body and neck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars