The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-16-2016, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Phase 90 mod

I just completed a block-to-script R28 mod on my MXR Phase 90.

Instead of clipping out the feedback resistor I switched it so I can jump from block to (effectively) script circuit.

It's a bit of a let down after all that work. I wanted to tone down the effect a bit. I think my unit is running a bit hot because my prior block unit was more tameable. I keep this one on zero and its usually too much, so I did the mod.

It is sometimes noticeable, but not nearly enough of an impact or difference as I had hoped. I might just look for a softer edged phaser.

In the meantime, while doing this, I reversed my P90-O/D chain and I like it the "wrong" way better.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 09-17-2016, 05:12 AM

I've done that mod as well to some 90's and gotten mixed results. I think the end tone actually depends on the JFETs in the unit.

I finally settled on replacing the resistor with a 150k. It smooths the mid hump while keeping the aggression.
Old 09-17-2016, 01:49 PM

I bought a Phase 90 in 1974 and used it for many productive years. It died in the mid '90s and I gutted the case to use for some future project; still waiting on that to happen!
Old 09-17-2016, 02:14 PM

They're just the definition of great. When they are good, and in front of an amp, their sweep doesn't mush the low end of an overdriven amp like the Small Stone does.

Case in fine point:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars