The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-27-2015, 01:55 PM

Default N(to me)GD: 2012 Gibson LP Traditional Pro II

Picked up a used Traditional Pro II and, after two days, I'm in love. It's got the 60s neck (but slightly thicker than my 2013 Studio Deluxe's slim neck), coil splits (not taps), 10db boost through the neck p/u knob, locking Grovers, and it's a gorgeous Merlot red.

It was a mess when I picked it up--dulled (but ungrooved) frets, superficial scratches, gunky fretboard, smudge ALL OVER the body and headstock, and in bad need of a clockwise twist on the truss rod. After a strip down and two hours of cleaning and tweaking, it looked and felt like a brand new guitar. The three rags I used to clean and polish almost looked like I'd changed the oil in my car.

So far I've matched it to my Egnater Rebel 30 and Blackstar HT Club 40 and it sounds wonderful through both. The Classic/Super '57 pickups project slightly better than the 490R/BB Pro combo in my Studio II, and I quickly fell in love with the bound fretboard. After adjusting neck relief, it is a dream to play and I'm loving the tones I can get out of the humbucker-single coil combinations. Although I didn't expect it, I much prefer the rosewood fretboard to my Studio's baked maple. It feels better while playing and is much easier on the eyes.

All in all I am VERY pleased with the purchase. This will now be my go-to electric.

Sorry for the blurry cell phone pic:

Last edited by Sombras; 08-27-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

Nice! Post some sound clips!

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 08-27-2015, 08:14 PM

One word

STUNNING!!!!
Old 08-27-2015, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Very nice. Reminds me of my 1960 Classic in wine red. I know why you like it!

Enjoy in good health!
Old 08-28-2015, 02:40 AM

Awesome guitar man. I really wanted a Gibson but settled for an Epiphone. If my skills progress.....maybe one day....

Good luck with yours and would love the hear the sound as well.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 08-28-2015, 06:27 AM

Don't see many Les Paul's in red. Glad to see something different than all those bursts they did.

She's a beauty, enjoy and congrats.

YouTube Channel - Guitars, Gear, Unboxing
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_w..._k-vCqoY7yPm1Q
Old 08-28-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
Awesome guitar man. I really wanted a Gibson but settled for an Epiphone. If my skills progress.....maybe one day....

Good luck with yours and would love the hear the sound as well.
Thanks, man. You know, a few months back I bought a roughed up 2004 Epi LP Standard Plus Top (AA flamed maple). Korean-made, before they moved production to China. I intended it as a practice guitar that I thought I wouldn't care much about.

It sounded solid when I got it, definitely better than the new Chinese models, but not like a Gibson LP. After changing tuners, lowering the action, installing a graphite nut and beefier bridge, and swapping the factory p/u's for Slash Alnico 2's, it is now an unruly, obnoxious beast. I don't play out with it much because I've found there are times I need the chimey single-coil option, but MAN does it sound great in front of some overdriven tubes. After one song a couple months ago a guy just walked up and stared at the headstock in disbelief, muttering "wow". I don't think he believed that an Epi could sound like a "real guitar".

The market might undervalue your guitar because of what's on the headstock, but you don't have to. My Epiphone Les Paul is now a point-and-shoot weapon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpjr50 View Post
Don't see many Les Paul's in red. Glad to see something different than all those bursts they did.

She's a beauty, enjoy and congrats.
Thanks! I know what you mean. I struggled with maybe wanting the burst, but I was drawn to the red because it's different. The above pic makes it look darker than it really is. The true color is more like persimmon than merlot.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:51 AM

I love it! Congrats on the new Les Paul. What's the difference between a Pro and a Pro II?
Old 09-06-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I love it! Congrats on the new Les Paul. What's the difference between a Pro and a Pro II?
That's a darned good question. The only differences I can identify--other than perhaps color offerings available in any given year--would be the 10db volume boost push-push switch off of the neck p/u tone knob, and the Pro coming with Burstbuckers rather than the Pro II's Classic/Super '57 combo.

Now over a week in, I am convinced this is the best guitar I've ever owned. It's comfortable (for a Les Paul), gives me the tones I want and need, and everything on it just works perfectly. As much as I liked and appreciated my 2013 Studio Deluxe II, I have to admit that this one is of a much better build quality, especially in the neck joint, neck profile, and fretboard. I've put some elbow grease into buffing the back, sides, and neck and now they're almost as glossy now as the top. This and my hot rod Epiphone LP are doing it all for me.

Last edited by Sombras; 09-06-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sombras View Post
That's a darned good question. The only differences I can identify--other than perhaps color offerings available in any given year--would be the 10db volume boost push-push switch off of the neck p/u tone knob, and the Pro coming with Burstbuckers rather than the Pro II's Classic/Super '57 combo.

Now over a week in, I am convinced this is the best guitar I've ever owned. It's comfortable (for a Les Paul), gives me the tones I want and need, and everything on it just works perfectly. As much as I liked and appreciated my 2013 Studio Deluxe II, I have to admit that this one is of a much better build quality, especially in the neck joint, neck profile, and fretboard. I've put some elbow grease into buffing the back, sides, and neck and now they're almost as glossy now as the top. This and my hot rod Epiphone LP are doing it all for me.
That would be enough to take it from a "I" to a "II". Do you ever use the boost?
Old 09-07-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
That would be enough to take it from a "I" to a "II". Do you ever use the boost?
I haven't played out with the Trad Pro II yet--next month. But I did with the Studio Deluxe which also had the coil splits and volume boost. I definitely find the boost useful. There's a noticeable decrease in volume when switching to single coil, so I tend to use it then. It's also good for when you need an extra oomph for solos, particularly if you're using a cleaner signal. The more tube OD in the output signal, the more the volume boost serves as a dirt-producing preamp. It's an interesting feature.

Last edited by Sombras; 09-07-2015 at 12:41 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars