The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-28-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
...for gigging, I use a Celestion Vintage 30. It'll turn a Blues Junior into a firebreathing rock monster.
Great speaker but I little too much fire for me. The Vintage 30 starts to scorch my ears after a while.

I really think the G12H30 is the ticket.

It has deeper bass, fuller tone and a smoother top end compared to a Vintage 30 and it's very efficient. ( Read: LOUD! )

The ultimate Fender Deluxe Reverb speaker, IMO.

Great for all styles too. Everything from clean warm jazz tones to British blues and rock tones to modern rock tones.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 08-29-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talkgtr View Post
The WGS G12CS is an exceptional speaker. Of my three tube amps, two have the G12CS. Very efficient so you get max volume per your 15w. Plus the speaker has a smooth top end, will tame that fender shrill thing.

The third amp has a WGS Black and Blue, an alnico 12. Another great guitar speaker and all built right here in the good ol USA.
I'm another big fan of the WGS G12C/S in a blackface. Rick from Vintage Sound Amps recommended it when I said I wanted smooth without a lot of speaker breakup, and that's what I got.
1999 CFox 'Frisco' concert w/ Trance Amulet MV
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e RW
2020 Goodall KCJ
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 08-29-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
I'll second those exact recommendations, since the JAN military tubes are quite expensive...
FYI the tubes I recommended are Russian JAN equivalent, honest-to-Pravda Cold War-era Soviet military issue (check the link): as tough as they come, a whole lot cheaper than either the JAN USA versions or NOS Euro tubes, and they make my Bugera V22 sound like a "key club" '66 Ampeg B-12XT through the Swamp Thang - full, loud, and clean with "big tube" (6L6/7027/6CA7) feel and response; probably make a Blues Junior sound like an old blackface Pro Reverb...
Old 08-31-2015, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

just wanted to thank everyone again for the time and input.
I'm looking into both the WGS G12CS and the Cannabis Rex.
Old 08-31-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
...I'm looking into both the WGS G12CS and the Cannabis Rex.
The C.R. would be a good choice - similar to the Swamp Thang but not quite as "big" in the low end; that said, I'd also strongly recommend the aforementioned tube swap - you'd be surprised what a difference it makes...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars