The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-09-2010, 01:58 PM

Default sweat stains

I have them on the top part of the neck from my hand. and on the body where my forearm goes.

Is this bad? is it shortening the lifespan of my guitar?

I read somewhere that virtuoso cleaner is the best thing to get rid of the dark spot on the body? I'm kind of nervous that i might actually hurt the guitar though is it safe to use?

I also read i should wear longsleeves or drape a rag over the body while playing which i'll start doing now.

thanks.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:08 PM

First, what is the finish of your guitar, satin or glossy?

If satin, rubbing it with a polish (or your arm) could actually buff it out over time to a glossy spot.

These stains are common and will not shorten the lifespan of the guitar. Many will say it is mojo (a good thing) and will add a touch of grit to your playing. On the body, these can be minimized by putting a cloth down on the lower bout where your arm crosses it, or wearing long sleeves, or incorporating a sleeve sock (a large sock with the bottom cut out worn on your arm).

A polish may or may not get these out...I prefer Virtuoso because it is non-abrasive. First however try some mild soap on a damp cotton cloth and then wipe with another damp cloth.

I wouldn't do anything about the neck, it will rub out over time from playing.

Also, wash your hands before playing and rub down the neck and fretboard after. This will help prolong the life of the strings and remove hand oils and grundge from building up.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:23 PM

I agree with the points Misty made.

If you manage to get the stains polished out on the top, you might consider doing what a friend of mine in the same situation did to prevent it from happening again: he put a John Pearse armrest on the guitar

Here's a photo of the Pearse armrests on some of Roman's guitars, from a thread on the Taylor Guitar Forum:

I don't have sweat stain problems on my guitars, since I'm Cool Hand Luke (or, maybe, "Cool Forearm Wade,") and don't sweat on them. But I like the armrests for the way they lift the forearm off and allow the top to vibrate to its fullest extent, thus allowing the guitar to achieve its richest possible tone.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-09-2010, 10:43 PM

Thanks for the replies. That john pearse armwrest is something to consider, I'm actually not sure what type of finish my guitar has. I have a martin dx1 when i go to their site it just says hand rubbed finish on the top. If the smudge doesn't ruin the sound or lifespan maybe i'll just leave it alone then.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:24 PM

The smudge will not affect the sound or shorten the lifespan of the guitar.

Having your forearm draped across the top when you play DOES affect the tone, because it keeps the top from vibrating as fully as it might. (Try playing an E chord with your forearm on the top, then lift your arm while the chord is still ringing, to hear whether your tone's being inhibited by your arm - on some guitars this won't make a difference, but on most there's an immediate and audible difference in the tone, with a fuller sound once your forearm is off the top.)

But, no, your perspiration will not affect the guitar in any way other than cosmetically.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-10-2010, 02:54 AM

that helped wade thanks.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:27 AM

I've read on some forums that naphtha was safe and effective to use for sweat stains. I don't know that for a fact nor have I ever tried it.
Anyone here ever give naphtha a shot?
Old 01-10-2010, 06:43 PM

Naptha certainly wont hurt anything. As to wheter it removes sweat stains?... not sure.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:05 PM

Default Oasis sleeve

I just purchased a Gibson J-45 Custom and noticed the finish dulled where my arm touches the top front. I don't want to modify the guitar, so I was wondering if anyone has tried the Oasis sleeve.

http://oasishumidifiers.com/sleeves.html

Larry
Old 07-24-2012, 05:31 PM

I haven't tried it but it seems like a reasonably priced item that should work just fine.

whm
Old 07-24-2012, 06:24 PM

Yes, thats what I thought. I am going to purchase one and see how it works.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryLarry View Post
Yes, thats what I thought. I am going to purchase one and see how it works.
Hi Scary Larry...

First of all, Hello and Welcome to the forum! Don't think we met yet...

For far less money you can buy a sweat shirt, cut the arms off and make a pair of them, and still have the sweatshirt.

I have a friend who builds and plays classical guitars, and he tried one of the sleeves, but says it makes his arm sweat when it's hot outside, and he prefers the sleeves from cotton sweatshirts, because they absorb moisture from the arm better, he sweats less, and they wash up better in the washer.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-24-2012, 06:29 PM

the virtuoso cleaner will get the sweat stain off, and if use the virtuoso polish, the next time you get a sweat stain on it, it will just wipe off

good for the neck too

Dave
Old 07-25-2012, 08:42 AM

I just cut the toe out of a sock.

A clean one.

Jason
Old 07-25-2012, 09:03 AM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Paul View Post
I just cut the toe out of a sock.

A clean one.

Jason
That's the trick my classical guitar teacher showed me years ago. Cheap and effective!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion