The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-05-2012, 08:02 AM

Default New Member and a National Style O-14!

Hi All,
I'm new to the forum, this is my first post. Been an electric player for 25 yrs, but recently bought a new National Style O-14 resonator and it's changing my direction on guitar! I purchased that model because I've always been inspired by Mark Knopfler, who's fingerstyle playing I've always loved. Anyways, learning to play with my fingers instead of a flatpick is definitely a challenge, like learning to play all over again. Been trying my hand at some slide, taking lessons and just learning some basic songs. I'm discovering the traditional blues artists from the 30's, like Son House, Bukka White and Tampa Red. If anyone knows of any good resonator sites on the web, I'd appreciate the links. Also any advice for a new acoustic player is appreciated. Thx!
Mike
Old 05-05-2012, 12:01 PM

Unfortunately most of the really good sites are more lap focused, and spider/dobro focused. Some National stuff, and some "spanish" style playing gets mentioned, but not so much. Reso Hangout is an example. Great bunch of folks. Great info. Unfortunately as I said, not a ton of what you want.

I think it's really hilarious that there isn't a National Forum. But there isn't. Maybe it says something about National Owners that there isn't a single passionate owner who is ALSO tech savy enough to put one up and run it! No slam... I are one of dem owners who can't run a wesite

This is a weird one. It's exactly what you want, but is not designated as a resonator website. Very low activity, but very serious people. I honestly don't know how long it will continue. Great people. Low participation, low tech. High on resonators and the style of music you want. http://www.guitarseminars.com/guitar-forum

Michael Messer's comes the closest to what you want that is also pretty active, but it seems to be a few people who know something, and Michael, who knows a ton, but has definite opinions which may or may not be the only truth. I can't remember him ever being wrong on the positive info he provides, but on dismissing some stuff? There are almost always alternatives... Great guy. Very helpful and informative. Tries to run his retail business as a top notch organization, and does a great job doing so.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesHoundMike View Post
Son House, Bukka White and Tampa Red. If anyone knows of any good resonator sites on the web, I'd appreciate the links. Also any advice for a new acoustic player is appreciated. Thx!
Mike
P.S. Tampa Red is a good excuse for buying a tricone The other two are totally single cone monsters. But you'll have a hard time capturing Tampa's sweet tone on your O. Start with Open D for the guys you like. Tampa played it pretty much exclusively for slide and there's a huge amount of hard hitting stuff in the Son House and Bukka White styles in D.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:56 PM

There's www.reso-nation.org, www.resohangout.com and www.michaelmesser.co.uk, that I know of.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdaddy View Post
I for forgot Reso-nation. But again. Mostly lap.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:20 PM

Hey Mike - Welcome to the AGF! We don't hear too much about Mark Knopfler here but he is a great guitarist.

Enjoy your new O-14!
Old 05-07-2012, 12:40 AM

There's also the vintage national pickin parlor site- lots of folks there, with slow but fairly regular updates. I'm on my phone so can't cut and paste but google it. Mostly round neck players, with the odd squareneck.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
odd squareneck.
Yes. Us squareneck players are odd.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments