The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-31-2010, 12:34 PM

Default Martin 000-15 vs. Taylor GC3

I feel like I'm breaking a cardinal rule by starting yet another M vs. T discussion, but my question is has anyone ever A/B'ed these two specific guitars? I'm looking at doing fingerstyle guitar with some light strumming, but mainly fingerstyle (I already have a dred that I strum and play out live with). I'm looking for a recording guitar (don't need pickups) that has a little more string spacing than my Tak (1 & 11/16). I think that both of these have 1 & 3/4 spacing and have a shorter neck than my Tak. I'll be recording this guitar with a hammered dulcimer.

I don't know if I'll be at a place that actually has both os these models in stock at the same time. Anyone ever decided between these two guitars? If so, what did you think?

Have any other suggestions of other guitars I can try out? (Roughly $1K pricerange)
Old 03-31-2010, 12:59 PM

I really don't think it's fair to be comparing these two guitars. Tonally, the Martin is very dark and completely different from the Taylor, which is much brighter. Apples and Oranges, really.

A hog top Martin vs a spruce/sapele Taylor? If it were more similar wood choices then it would probaly work a bit better.

As well, the 000-15 actually has a 1 11/16" nut width. If the neck profile is anything similar to my D-16RGT, it should have a slight V shape to it. Not the most comfortable for fingerpicking at first, but then again, it's all preference as well.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:14 PM

I agree. The mahogany-topped Martin is not really a fair comparison. If you like bright and lively, go for the Taylor. If you like dark and more subdued, go for the Martin.

One day, I will own an all mahogany Martin.

Martin HD-28V
Martin JC-16RGTE Premium
Taylor Koa GS-LTD 12-fret
Breedlove C-10 12-string
Cordoba Solista CE
Seagull M6 Gloss
Old 03-31-2010, 01:15 PM

There are no short scale guitars in Martins 15 or 16 series or below. There are short-scale Martins in the Standard series and above.

f-d
Old 03-31-2010, 01:27 PM

i owned the d15s and gs3 at the same time. preferred the martin but they are diff sounds.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:47 PM

All of the Martin 15 Series also have what they call a Modified Low Oval shaped neck. They also all have the standard 1 11/16's inch neck width at the nut. BUT if you can find a 12 fret 000-15 with the slotted headstock, that one does have the wider 1 3/4 inch neck width; which is better for finger picking. Martin stopped making the wider neck version last year. However, you may find a new one if you shop around. You probably wont find a used one; because people that have them don't want to part with them.

I do a lot of finger picking on my standard width 000-15. But back when I started playing (40 plus years ago in the dark ages) that was the only neck width you could usually get. So I've learned to adapt. They also sound fantastic recorded!

Last edited by 15 Man; 03-31-2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captivate View Post
I really don't think it's fair to be comparing these two guitars. Tonally, the Martin is very dark and completely different from the Taylor, which is much brighter. Apples and Oranges, really.

A hog top Martin vs a spruce/sapele Taylor? If it were more similar wood choices then it would probaly work a bit better.

As well, the 000-15 actually has a 1 11/16" nut width. If the neck profile is anything similar to my D-16RGT, it should have a slight V shape to it. Not the most comfortable for fingerpicking at first, but then again, it's all preference as well.
Good points.

I think the 000-15 may be a bit bigger too.

The 000-15 doesn't have a V neck profile.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:48 PM

Stick with Martins.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:18 PM

As has been mentioned, these are two very different guitars. The 15 series Martins I have played are boxy and biased towards midrange; very bluesy sounding. I have not played a GC3 or GC4 but have played the other models. While Taylors are bright, there is a clarity to the tone. I mention this in every review of Taylors, but they are different guitar without Elixers; much better sounding to my ears.

Neither guitar is going to have more than a tight and audible bass. They have a very focused and direct tone with little overtone and resonance. Without a direct A/B demo, I would still give the nudge to the Taylor because the shortscale lowers string tension which seems to provide a slightly fuller tone as compared to a similar guitar with a standard scale with it higher string tension.

The best comparison I have is my 00028 and GC8. Both are shortscale and spruce over rosewood. They are extremely different guitars. The Martin has more resonance and bass, but a nice midrange and trebles. The Taylor has a tighter more focused tone with more clarity in the projection. Playability, both are a joy. The Martin is a little more forgiving of to occasional tight grip and mildly aggressive attack. The Taylor responds better to a lighter touch and but will handle a slight mid-heavy attack. The Taylor does not tolerate a tight grip well.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:36 PM

I would throw an OM-1 in the mix, that would perhaps be a bit more fair.
Personally I like the bright tone of the 3. I have not tried a GC3 specifically, but I have played a 310ce and have a 110ce myself.
My guitar of choice, if I could afford it would be the GC4. I would probably put an OMC-16OGTE against it, but the latter doesn't seem to be available in either ovangkol-only (I believe it has a EIR wedge in the back) and without pickups, perhaps not completely fair.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:23 PM

IMO since I've owned both.

GC3 - underrated guitar
000-15 - overrated

But tone itself will be subjective. I just find GC3 a lot easier to play and it feels lot better than 000-15. Tone is up to you.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:41 PM

I haven't owned either of these but I have played them both.

For a fingerstyle the 000-15 is a little cramped to me with the 1 11/16 neck but it does have a nice bluesy sound to it and is very dark and woody. Nice for a lot of folk stuff.

The GC3 is more of a jack of all trades to me. It can do some nice blues sounding stuff but is also very sweet sounding for things like "Dust in the Wind" or "House of the Rising Sun" Definitely much more treble then the 000-15. Also the GC3 has the gloss top which is nice. The 000-15 is a satin finish all the way around.

My Favorite Guitars has some custom order 000-15SM guitars for sale. They are the new all Mahogany version with a few nice upgrades and they've had them customized to have the slothead and 1 3/4" nut. Only slightly more then the GC3. http://www.myfavoriteguitars.com/pro...roductid=16164

So if it's GC3 vs 000-15 I'd go with the GC3. If you toss the 000-15SM in the mix, that'd be my choice.

-Jim
2009 Martin D-18
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-02
2014 Martin CEO-7
2015 Gibson J-45
Old 03-31-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220volt View Post
IMO since I've owned both.

GC3 - underrated guitar
000-15 - overrated

But tone itself will be subjective. I just find GC3 a lot easier to play and it feels lot better than 000-15. Tone is up to you.
I second the positive comments about the GC3. I used to own one (and really shouldn't have sold it!) and it was a really nice guitar. Beautiful woods, simple understated elegance, superb (and I mean superb!) playability, and a nice bright sound.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:53 PM

Default Go Hog!

Hi....I had a 2006 Martin 000-15s. Sold it.. Best finger picker I ever had. 1 3/4 neck..The build was very light on the 15 and I was concerned about its longevity, so I kept my 78 D-35 That I purchased new. They say never sell your 1st Martin. There was a 000-15s on Ebay yesterday..And nothing smells like a HOG
Old 04-01-2010, 05:01 AM

Thanks everyone.

The reason I started the thread is because they are both within the same price range. This fingerpicking/fingerstyle thing is new to me. The other day picked up a used 000m martin that actually made me sound like I knew what I was doing. I liked it, but I want to get an all-solid guitar.

I've been practicing fingerstyle on my Tak dred. While my left hand (chording hand) is doing ok as far as space is concerned, my picking hand is getting tripped up becuase the strings are close together. The 000 had wider string spacing at the bridge which made a lot of difference. I didn't feel like I was tripping all over myself.

I've always loved the Taylor sound and I occasionally find a Martin that I like too. It's just hard to decide, but I have plenty of time.

Thanks again!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion