The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-27-2017, 10:22 PM

As soon as the red light goes on my IQ drops to about room temperature and my string spacing feels like its zero. Then I remember it's a recording and I can simply start again.
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-27-2017, 10:42 PM
Guest 728

The only cure is make it part of the experience, rather than a separate thing. Just push "record" every time you play. Practice, gigs, whenever.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:57 PM

Not anymore. I think what helped was I don't record until I know a song well enough not to make mistakes or very few mistakes. Most of my old jitters came from being scared of making a mistake.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:15 PM

I'm kinda of newer at this then most. Playing 2 & 1/2 years, recording a few months but yeah soon as I hit record my mind goes blank. Same as playing in front of others. I'm seriously thinking of a shot or two before I start.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:24 PM

First of all, yes. It happens but as others have stated it does get easier the more you do it.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:26 PM
Charter Member

It happens to me almost every time I record. As soon as the red light comes on, I'm in panic mode.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:13 AM

Ha! Recording at home was my best teacher. Some nights I was feeling good and decided, "Let's record!". Press the button and things can change. "Oh, this is real". I would get self-conscious and start over thinking....ruined the mood. As others have said, if you can stay in the groove when the light goes on it can be an eye opener! Sometimes better than expected. Sometimes not so good. Always a mirror which is good. A teacher and a reality check!
Old 06-28-2017, 01:33 AM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Unfortunately, I'm riddled by anxiety, because I'm paying for the studio time, plus a couple of musicians, or more... It all adds up quickly! Wish I was richer, so I wouldn't have to worry over the price of it per hour...

Don
Old 06-28-2017, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
Unfortunately, I'm riddled by anxiety, because I'm paying for the studio time, plus a couple of musicians, or more... It all adds up quickly! Wish I was richer, so I wouldn't have to worry over the price of it per hour...

Don
Well, you could try Neil Young's approach when he recorded "Tonight's The Night". A certain amount of tequila and a full moon and what ever happens on the first take is a keeper! (Warner Records wasn't happy...but that's beside the point.)
Old 06-28-2017, 04:32 AM

It's happened to me, of course, but if you know the material and what you want to do, it's much easier. The Neil Young reference above reminded me of something I once read: Neil's producer of old, David Briggs, had a sign in the studio that said, "the more you think, the more you stink." I think there's a little bit of genius in that, I try to remember it when the red light is on.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:08 AM
Guest12345inv

If I was still doing home recording my entire 'career' would be constituted by covers of The Troggs Tape. Solo acoustic as well. Improvising with elan around the basic motifs.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:09 AM
Charter Member

Yes, same here. As others have said, however well I know a piece of music, despite practicing / playing where I always record, etc., I still find myself making silly mistakes. This can even include skipping sections, playing in different positions to that intended, tensing up for no reason. Luckily I have the time to just start again...and again...and again...

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 06-28-2017, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

I'm new to both recording and fingerpicking.

Lot's of good suggestions here, and it's great to know I'm not alone in having the red light syndrome. The worst is when I start to get near the end of the piece, I'm through the hard parts and can feel myself tensing up and messing up sections that are a piece of cake when I'm just practicing.

One thing I stumbled on that helps me--closing my eyes. It seems to make me focus more on what my hands are doing, and allows me to pay attention to how much tension there is in my fretting hand rather than have my mind flooded with all sorts of crazy thoughts and distractions. All of this seems to reduce "unforced errors" or "choking" as they call it in golf.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:34 AM

If I am recording a difficult piece at home, I like to break it down into smaller parts that can be combined together later. I listen back to each take to make sure I have a keeper before moving on to the next part. That will put the focus on any sections where you might need more practice. Sometimes you might just need to practice more before expecting a great recording. Each successfully completed section gets you closer to a finished recording. It is encouraging to know you are making progress along the way.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:42 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I just wrote an article about this and you can find it on my site, HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion