The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-02-2015, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Default New guitar for the price of strings!

I have a Martin OO-15c custom from LA Guitar sales, mahogany and sitka, 14 fret short scale cutaway. I guess I've had it a year. There are a lot of things i like about the guitar but I was slightly disappointed in the tone, I'd been using Martin SP7100 but I've also used a half dozen or so other brands. The guitar sounded fine, just not great. Balanced but not a lot of personality if that makes sense.

Bought two sets of the Martin Retro Monels when they were on sale a couple weeks ago and I didn't expect much so I was very pleasantly surprised when I slapped them on a couple days ago. They made the guitar come alive, balanced out the response up the neck, more volume over all, warmer, fatter tones but you can still get plenty of expression and articulation when you vary the attack. I should mention I play w/ flesh and nail (and calluses). I can see where these Retros might be a bit harsh played hard w/ a pick but for naked fingerpicking the Retros are perfect for me and this particular guitar.

It's not just a little difference, it's day and night. This guitar was made for these string (or visa versa). They feel great, I haven't figured out why but they are a dream to play, hardly any finger noise, I've played them in and they still sound great. They are the wrong color and look a little strange but I'll adjust.

A new guitar for the price of strings! If anyone sees the Retros on sale this weekend, I'm looking to stock up.

Last edited by stephenT; 07-02-2015 at 09:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-02-2015, 05:21 PM

Default This guitar was made for these string (or visa versa

I've been saying the same thing since I put them on my 0-15!
Old 07-02-2015, 05:34 PM

I keep a little notebook beside my computer and write down suggestions I read on the AGF.
Martin Retro Monels just got listed.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-02-2015, 08:43 PM

Thanks for posting that! I've been singing the praises of the monels on my 000-15 and I hadn't illuminated the distinction between finger pickers and those who use plectra in previous Retro threads. That very well may be a distinguishing feature in terms of those who just get giggly over these strings and those who take them off in disgust. I'd like to know that distinction when hearing about other's experiences with these strings.

The other variable I'm really aware of is that they sound strikingly different initially than they do after being played-in for a couple of days. At first they're just...weird to me. But then they get all magical within two days or so.

Glad you stumbled on monels!
Old 07-02-2015, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Playing the contrarian, I had a set of the Retros on my 00-21GE and thought they were OK, at least better than the old strings on it when I bought the guitar recently. At the suggestion of the set-up guy at my favorite guitar store I tried a set of Martin Silk and Steel. Much nicer! Very mellow but balanced and an overall very pleasant sound for bare finger style.

YMMV,
Dave
Old 07-02-2015, 11:40 PM

I ordered 2 sets of the Retros just last night. M.F. has the custom lights on sale at 5 bucks a set, figured it'd be worth a try.
Martin 000-15S
Gibson Army/Navy mandolin
Old 07-03-2015, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

I am always amazed at how much of a difference things like strings, pick size/gauge and setups can really change your perception of a guitar. Always worth experimenting with those on an instrument you really like, or liked at one time.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:09 PM

I actually started another thread on the Retros and was directed over here. I put a set on a Martin 000R and the difference was amazing. I still don't understand why they feel different but they do. And they do look strange. Now I'm wondering what electric strings would sound like on my Martin, since the Retros are a nickel alloy.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy925 View Post
I actually started another thread on the Retros and was directed over here. I put a set on a Martin 000R and the difference was amazing. I still don't understand why they feel different but they do. And they do look strange. Now I'm wondering what electric strings would sound like on my Martin, since the Retros are a nickel alloy.
I'd guess they are different from most electric guitar strings.

From Martin: "long-lasting proprietary nickel-based alloy blend".
Old 07-05-2015, 01:23 PM

Most electric guitar strings are a nickel coated stainless steel winding. With monels the whole winding is of the same nickel-based alloy. And electric strings usually have an unwound G.
Old 07-05-2015, 01:43 PM

I have tried the Monels and they do sound really good.

My problem with them was that no matter how hard or soft I played I always seemed to produce the same level of volume/attack. It was rather strange.

Would make a great recording string or for someone playing rhythm in a band. They wouldn't work for me as a solo performer.

One string I found all hog Guitars loving was the Martin Silk & Phosphor. Almost unbearably light but a fantastic sound.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion