The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-08-2015, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

I do have to disagree with people who think to make an F you have to barre it. Or even a Bm. There are open versions of it that sounds just like an F or a Bm. I have seen countless instructors and instruction books that teach those chords. To me it's awkard playing a barre f when you're playing in first position chords. And it sounds out of place to me.
Old 09-11-2015, 11:32 AM

Default Never stop learning

For all you non bar chord players. Heres some very important advice. If your a Newby = Thats anyone who has played for less than 5 years. Than listen up, try open tuning. G Open or D Open tuning can easily be found on Youtube. The main reason I'm writing this is to Show most new or hard nosed stubborn players to open your eyes and Learn. there is more than one way to skin a cat. Many professional players use open tunings for songs on the fly. Also they are ONE finger Barr chords that are easier to play than any standard tuned Guitar. Example Standard tuning which is E,A,D,G,B,E can be cumbersome and hard at first trying to form even the basic 15 Cowboy Chords. But what if I showed you how to open tune and play songs with one finger. How much easier is it than that. It's just that easy and there are thousands of chord songs to play with one finger. SO WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR PLEASE GIVE IT A TRY YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED !
Old 10-31-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
I do have to disagree with people who think to make an F you have to barre it. Or even a Bm. There are open versions of it that sounds just like an F or a Bm. I have seen countless instructors and instruction books that teach those chords. To me it's awkard playing a barre f when you're playing in first position chords. And it sounds out of place to me.
I guess you are talking about Fmaj7 chord, for instance. I am not sure that it really sounds as a real F major chord. Do you think so?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write