The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2017, 01:25 PM

Default Newb celebrating NGD :D Larrivee LV-05

I've been playing off and on but mostly off for the last 15+ years - college was busy as I worked a couple extra jobs while I took classes full-time, grad school was even busier since I got married and had a daughter right at the beginning. All the hard work is finally paying off and things are slowing down a bit this summer, though, so I finally got back into playing again recently. Spent an hour or two a day, sometimes more, with my dad's Martin D-16 cutaway.

A few weeks ago, I got the itch to start looking for a second guitar to complement my J-45. Not seriously, probably not for another year, but on my very first visit to the acoustic room at Guitar Center just to scope out some of my options I stumbled across this used LV-05, and even with my very mediocre beginner skills, it spoke to me above all the others I tried that day. I was really looking for more of a beater/travel guitar, so I tried some mid-range Breedloves, Seagulls, etc, and then some of the Taylors/Martins/Gibsons in the 1000-1500 range.

I had to have it. I knew nothing at all about Larrivee prior to this, but I did some research after falling in love and determined that it was an OK deal on an instrument that's not super common around here. I went back 2 days later to put it on hold and told my husband after the fact.

Fast forward a couple weeks, and I've cleared clutter out of the basement, Craigslisted and Ebayed a bunch of stuff, and raised enough funds to bring it home! Everything I could have wanted, the playability right now is great for me so I won't bother to take it to be set up by a pro just yet. I head back to school (teacher) next week, but I will enjoy plenty of hours of practice in the coming days before reality hits again!

(I can't tell whether these pictures are going to work, album link here so I don't look like a total fool in case of technical difficulties).

Last edited by Lauren710; 08-22-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:35 PM

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on the Larrivee. You're gonna love that guitar, very well made with top grade woods.
I'm awaiting the delivery of an L-10 this week.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:39 PM

Congratulations on finishing up what must have been a grueling schedule with grad school and a new baby! Welcome to the AGF! And a happy NGD to you! I have never played a Larrivee but they sure get good press here.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 08-21-2017, 01:39 PM

Welcome to the AGF! Congrats on your new guitar. Larrivee are great guitars!

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing
Old 08-21-2017, 02:59 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren710 View Post
I've been playing off and on but mostly off for the last 15+ years - college was busy as I worked a couple extra jobs while I took classes full-time, grad school was even busier since I got married and had a daughter right at the beginning. All the hard work is finally paying off and things are slowing down a bit this summer, though, so I finally got back into playing again recently. Spent an hour or two a day, sometimes more, with my dad's Martin D-16 cutaway.

A few weeks ago, I got the itch to start looking for a second guitar to complement my J-45. Not seriously, probably not for another year, but on my very first visit to the acoustic room at Guitar Center just to scope out some of my options I stumbled across this used LV-05, and even with my very mediocre beginner skills, it spoke to me above all the others I tried that day. I was really looking for more of a beater/travel guitar, so I tried some mid-range Breedloves, Seagulls, etc, and then some of the Taylors/Martins/Gibsons in the 1000-1500 range.

I had to have it. I knew nothing at all about Larrivee prior to this, but I did some research after falling in love and determined that it was an OK deal on an instrument that's not super common around here. I went back 2 days later to put it on hold and told my husband after the fact.

Fast forward a couple weeks, and I've cleared clutter out of the basement, Craigslisted and Ebayed a bunch of stuff, and raised enough funds to bring it home! Everything I could have wanted, the playability right now is great for me so I won't bother to take it to be set up by a pro just yet. I head back to school (teacher) next week, but I will enjoy plenty of hours of practice in the coming days before reality hits again!

(I can't tell whether these pictures are going to work, album link here so I don't look like a total fool in case of technical difficulties).

Congratulations! I love how you made it happen. I would love to stumble across a used LV-05 like that but don't think I would have the resolve to go through my basement clutter and liquidate stuff like that. I double salute you!
Old 08-21-2017, 03:06 PM

Excellent news! I stumbled on Larrivee in a similar way: had never heard of them until one day i picked one up, tried it and reached for the wallet. Easy decision.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:37 PM

Congrats! I had an L-05 which was a stellar guitar that could play just about anything. When you get a chance, try a set of Monels on it. Really brings out the warmth and woodiness of the guitar.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:50 PM

Nice...........very nice!

My first Lav was a C-05 and it was my biggest regret when I sold it. I never owned a LV-05 but I have had many other LV's in the past. Larrivee is a wonderful guitar.

Are you a member of the Larrivee Forum?
Old 08-21-2017, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

That's great. Happy NGD. Here are your pictures.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 08-21-2017 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:54 PM

Very cool
I am getting my D02 tomorrow
Join the larrivee forum,great bunch of
People
Congrats on a Great guitar!
David
Old 08-21-2017, 05:59 PM

Congratulations on your new Larrivee and your success. I know how hard grad school is, especially with kiddies. I love my two Larrivees and can honestly say I wouldn't want anything different, they are just perfect for me.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:17 PM

Ma'am... You have given yourself a gift above all gifts, of a lifetime.

You now have an instrument that you will love more than all other "things" in your life.

Enjoy your new love.....
Old 08-21-2017, 06:50 PM

congratulations and kudos... I've never been able to see, then sell enough stuff to fund the purchase, then buy...it's always been see, buy and promise to sell..kinda
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 08-21-2017, 11:39 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Larrivee. I bumped into my Larrivee at GC also and bought it used.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-22-2017, 10:21 AM

Thanks everyone! I did quietly join the Larrivee forum a couple of weeks ago and have been lurking there too!

I've spent a few hours with it now and about to sit down again - already in love, very different voice than the Martin and my Gibson, excited to experiment with strings too. The guy at GC sent me home with a pack of Elixir 13s - should have gone over to the string counter and just picked out my own but I was too excited to think about it. I think I'll likely bring them back and exchange for the Martin Monels - I don't think I want to go *that* thick right now, maybe 12s to see if I can bring out a little more volume/bass end. He didn't know what was currently on it but I suspect they might be a bit thinner because they're so easy to play.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion