The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2017, 09:54 AM

Angry Ranting on a missed guitar deal...

>start rant
An ad showed up yesterday for Art & Lutherie Parlor real cheap.
Contacted seller and all was set up to pick up today but got an email saying, "Someone else really wanted it so I sold it".
I guess I didn't really wanted it.
>end rant;
Old 08-21-2017, 09:59 AM

Yup, that stinks.

This happened to me:

1. Found a mixer I really wanted at a great price an hour fifteen from my house.

2. I call the seller, tell him I want it (it's in a store), and that I'm leaving right then.

3. I get 5-10 minutes from the place, but I take a wrong turn. I call to ask for directions.

4. He tells me it sold.

I understand that money in the hand is king, but it still sucks.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:00 AM

Don't feel bad, the sun is getting bumped by the moon today. I guess the moon wants the limelight more than the sun. Talk about having to take a back seat.

........Mike
Old 08-21-2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
>start rant
An ad showed up yesterday for Art & Lutherie Parlor real cheap.
Contacted seller and all was set up to pick up today but got an email saying, "Someone else really wanted it so I sold it".
I guess I didn't really wanted it.
>end rant;
So you and the seller agreed to a price and it was a done deal and then he turns around and sells it to someone else? Or were you waiting to commit until you inspected the guitar in person? The latter I could understand, but the former is pretty bad form (though at lease he emailed you about it...lots people don't seem to be able to communicate these days). It's one thing if he changed his mind about selling it at all, but that wasn't the case here.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
So you and the seller agreed to a price and it was a done deal and then he turns around and sells it to someone else? Or were you waiting to commit until you inspected the guitar in person? The latter I could understand, but the former is pretty bad form (though at lease he emailed you about it...lots people don't seem to be able to communicate these days). It's one thing if he changed his mind about selling it at all, but that wasn't the case here.
It was almost an hour away but was close to my work and since Sunday was off, I didn't want to drive two hours so I said I'll pick it up today as I go to work weekdays.
It was listed for less than thirty buckaaroos so there was no price issue.
I should/could have picked up had the seller said I needed to pick up yesterday.
Craigs list has ups and downs.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Of course the other side of it too is I've had a bunch of contacts on stuff I've had for sale say "I'm leaving right now to come get it" and never show up. I always tell people the first one to show up with cash in hand gets it. Sucks to have to be that way but dang you just can't believe people anymore.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 08-21-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
I always tell people the first one to show up with cash in hand gets it.
Yeah, but I wonder if that disclaimer was given in this case, though. Doesn't sound like it.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhmulkey View Post
Yeah, but I wonder if that disclaimer was given in this case, though. Doesn't sound like it.
Not making a judgement on what happened in this case because I have no idea. It sounds like the OP was very clear regarding his intent and and we don't know what the seller promised. I was just making a statement regarding my experience selling my own personal items, especially locally on Craigslist.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 08-21-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Not making a judgement on what happened in this case because I have no idea. It sounds like the OP was very clear regarding his intent and and we don't know what the seller promised. I was just making a statement regarding my experience selling my own personal items, especially locally on Craigslist.
I understand. I agree with you that is a reasonable policy...if communicated, like you do.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:41 AM

That happened to me with house, sat outside admiring the huge pond, no one turned up, I phoned to be told someone else has paid more.

I've been outbid by pence on eBay (which is fair enough), and that hurt more than the house.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:42 AM

Yeah, sorry about that, but I really, really wanted it.

it ties the parlor together, dude.

Greg Rappleye

Last edited by Greg Rappleye; 08-21-2017 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-28 View Post
Don't feel bad, the sun is getting bumped by the moon today. I guess the moon wants the limelight more than the sun. Talk about having to take a back seat.

........Mike
Yeah, they sold around 12 million sunglasses or so, but the punch line is we aren't getting full eclipse!

Kinda the same thing.... I mean, kind of.... I mean, if yer from the 60's and all...
Old 08-21-2017, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Of course the other side of it too is I've had a bunch of contacts on stuff I've had for sale say "I'm leaving right now to come get it" and never show up. I always tell people the first one to show up with cash in hand gets it. Sucks to have to be that way but dang you just can't believe people anymore.
Amen to that. Unless the seller has been paid, the item is still available....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-21-2017, 11:21 AM

Did you agree to come and check it out or did you agree to buy it at a fixed price? Big difference. If you are only coming to check out the item, the seller is more interested in the guy who shows up with the cash in hand and wants to buy it. Sometimes you can agree to buy at a fixed price and tell the seller you are coming at a specific time and ask him not to sell it to anyone else. He might agree to that.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:28 AM

Yep, with CL I always assume first come first served. I know if I really want something I have to jump on it immediately. As a seller, I don't hold anything for anyone---too many flakes. I had a garage sale where a good friend told me to put something on the side for him because he wants it. Called me up several days later and told me he changed his mind. I've learned talk is cheap.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion